Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 16,757 times

Advertisements

Moving to Ky from Ca. Have complete flexibility in terms of where we live, but MUST be near some like-minded liberal, progressive adults. What Louisville and Lexington neighborhoods currently have a high concentration of liberal Democrats? Are there any other areas outside these cities where we might find a few like-minded friends?

Old 01-11-2011, 01:16 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Perhaps you could ask the Kentucky forum.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:29 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I'd say Lexington and Louisville........

Old 01-11-2011, 04:40 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
I think scanning the Kentucky forums is a good idea, but maybe you want to be more euphemistic so you don't come off as a bit strident or intolerant of other views.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:28 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,841,891 times
Berea,KY. 30min south of Lexington. Like a mini Asheville NC.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:51 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,068 times
Louisville:

The Highlands (the neighborhoods on either side of Baxter Avenue & Bardstown Road, as far out as, say, Trevilian Way)

Clifton and Crescent Hill (neighborhoods along Frankfort Avenue as far east as the resevoir)

Old Louisville (the neighborhood south of downtown as far as the University of Louisville)

Lexington:

hmmm....South Hill, Gratz Park, Western Suburb, pockets in the Northside like Hampton Court? Woodland Park area? Would Chevy Chase count? Lexington posters, help out here...thx...;-)

Out in the state:

Maybe older parts of Frankfort and the aforementioned Berea (quaint little college town with a big arts & crafts scene).

Old 01-12-2011, 07:28 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjewell View Post
Moving to Ky from Ca. Have complete flexibility in terms of where we live, but MUST be near some like-minded liberal, progressive adults. What Louisville and Lexington neighborhoods currently have a high concentration of liberal Democrats? Are there any other areas outside these cities where we might find a few like-minded friends?
Not that I have an issue, but why must you be in a "like-minded liberal" area? It would seem to me that most liberal people would want to integrate into society as a whole. Just asking...

Old 01-12-2011, 07:32 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
I think Dayton Sux hit it pretty well, at least with regard to Louisville. Although I'm fairly liberal and live in the northeastern portion of the county and feel pretty comforatable. We really don't have a strong, reactionary right wing community here. (And ditto for the left.) So I think you'll fit in just about anywhere you want, outside of southern Jefferson County.

Also, Owensboro has a very nice arts community for a town of its size.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:29 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Not that I have an issue, but why must you be in a "like-minded liberal" area? It would seem to me that most liberal people would want to integrate into society as a whole. Just asking...
Are you kidding?
Being integrated into society is great. But that requires an effort on both sides. How would a typical Kentuckian react when knowing that a family which just moved into the neighborhood is liberal? When the majority are on the right any liberal would be ostracized. Conservatives, which Kentucky has in overabundance, don't have much of a reputation for accepting anyone that's different.
The OPs concern is valid.
The OP might also want to check out religious preferences.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:29 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,068 times
^
you sound like you are describing the Dayton/Cincinnati area again, more on the Dayton side.

While there are substantial liberal pockets in Louisville there are none, or they are weak, in the Dayton area (exception being the village of Yellow Springs, which is sort of a country version of The Highlands or Crescent Hill/Clifton)

So, yes, you'd fit right in in the Louisville areas and there'd be enough of a critical mass of progressives (AKA liberals) so you won't feel too alone or "we few, we happy few...", enough to form a true sociopolitical community rather than just a handfull scattered across the metro area.

Quote:
It would seem to me that most liberal people would want to integrate into society as a whole. Just asking...
Read (or google) The Big Sort by Bob Bishop. It's a book, but there is some web content (articles, Amazon reviews, etc) so you can get the general idea of this phenomenon, which is happening across the political spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky