Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 09:40 AM

3 posts, read 5,828 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone - My wife and I are considering Ky as a retirement spot and I am trying to get a good solid picture of the tax situation there. We currently live in Wisconsin, but spent 20 years in Alabama so we have covered the span from a social and tax perspective. So here is an example of what I'd like to understand better:

Assume I live in a $350,000 house in Danville, Ky, have two vehicles valued at $40,000 each, and a $45,000 boat. What am I going to pay in real estate taxes, and personal property taxes? What is the local sales tax percentages and are there any untaxed categories (groceries, drugs, etc)?

Thanks in advance for the help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 03:17 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Here's a good link to answer your questions. Also, there are no taxes on groceries in KY.

Retirement Living - Taxes by State: Kansas - New Mexico

Scroll down the page to find KY.....

Old 11-03-2011, 11:52 AM

6 posts, read 15,604 times
Default What About This

My retirement income will come in largest part from social security (not taxed if I read it correctly) and around $46,000/year military retirement (which will not be taxed since I retired in 1995).

If so, the only income tax I would have to pay would be on any investment money I cashed out.

Am I correct on this?

Old 11-03-2011, 01:20 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
You would have to pay state and federal tax on any dividends from your investments, savings accounts, etc. And if you cash out stock market investments, you'd need to pay capital gains taxes if you made a profit on your original investment. Tax-free municipal bonds are just that, tax-free, but are becoming harder and harder to find at a decent rate of return.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:25 PM

so can you help me understand the real estate and personal property tax implications?

Old 11-05-2011, 12:19 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Real estate (property) and vehicle taxes - license fees - are determined and billed by each county. If you find the property tax (on real estate) too high, there is usually a period of time during which you can ask that it be reevaluated. Properties are generally reassessed every few years and rarely go down in assessed value.

You may also be taxed for property associated with any business you may have - again, this is done at county level, though these taxes are sent on to Frankfort.

All these taxes can be deducted from your federal and state income taxes, however.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:44 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
http://www.revenue.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyr...axRateBook.pdf

I think this will pretty much cover your needs; if you need more, please let me know.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:14 AM

tomocox, I see your posts on the forum pretty often and understand you are in the real estate business. Assume a buy a home in Crestwood Ky, Oldham County. The appraised (or assessed) value is $350,000. As I do the math I'm looking at a rate of (all in cents/$100 assessed value) 12.2 statewide levi, 18.44 Oldham countywide levi, 68.99 Oldham County school levi and 10 for Crestwood city levi. Overall rate is then $10.96 per $100 asessed value or 1.1% roughly. So this hypothetical $350,000 home should have a tax bill of approximately $3850. Does this seem in the ballpark? That's within a few dollars of what I pay in the "tax hell" Wisconsin where I currently live. Help me with my math. Also is there some sort of homestead exemption I am not ware of?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:18 PM

6 posts, read 11,837 times
Why would you choose Kentucky. I had a retirement choice it would not be Kentucky. Kentucky has income taxes and Personal Property tax on vehicles (which is automatically charged when you register the vehicle) plus the other usual taxes like sales tax and such.

I moved to KY six months ago and I don't have any real understanding of what the taxes are going to be.

Anyway........From what I understand most States that tax income are also taxing Pension or Retirement income. So wouldn't it be better to go to a State that has no income tax. Seven states have no state income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming. Two others, New Hampshire and Tennessee, tax only dividend and interest income. Wouldn't it be better to retire in one of these ?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:51 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrolion View Post
Why would you choose Kentucky. I had a retirement choice it would not be Kentucky. Kentucky has income taxes and Personal Property tax on vehicles (which is automatically charged when you register the vehicle) plus the other usual taxes like sales tax and such.

I moved to KY six months ago and I don't have any real understanding of what the taxes are going to be.

Anyway........From what I understand most States that tax income are also taxing Pension or Retirement income. So wouldn't it be better to go to a State that has no income tax. Seven states have no state income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming. Two others, New Hampshire and Tennessee, tax only dividend and interest income. Wouldn't it be better to retire in one of these ?
You are making assumptions that aren't necessarily true. Just because a state has no state income tax does not mean that their overall taxes are any less than a state that has state income tax. You need to look at the overall tax burden and that varies....do your research.

We love Ky and find the taxes not extraordinary....but then we moved from So. California where the taxes are much more than they are here. We live a higher standard of living here than we did in So. Ca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky