Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 05:26 PM

26 posts, read 135,070 times

Advertisements

Considering a move and wondering if anyone had any information and/or opinions about Buckner? I know it's in Oldham County. Good schools are important to us, as well as a community with various activities for our kids, i.e., sports, libraries, parks, etc.

Any info would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 06:11 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Hello

I grew up in western Kentucky and had a brother and family who have lived in Oldham county (between Crestwood and Ballardsville) since 1979. My brothers daughter and husband live in the area too and her husband is a pediatrician whose office is south of La Grange, on the road to Ballardsville. Check a map for highway numbers.

But overall Oldham was and still is a fast growing surbub for Louisville. It was much more rural when my brother moved out and over the years there has been lots of housing built. Oldham is in my opinion by far the best county in Kentucky for education and the Oldham county school system is well known in the state as being number 1. My neice and nephew got excellent educations in the public schools (not sure if they went to South Oldham or Oldham county HS). There are lots of kids in the area with very active parents in the schools. Roads are kind of windy and have had a hard time keeping up with the growth from my knowledge. I havent been back there for 5+ years....but I do know growth in restaurants was going on quite fast in LaGrange at the I-74 exit.

So...for a family who wants to live in Kentucky Oldham is about as good as it gets. My opinion, but again I havent lived there but only visited. Maybe someone who lives there can comment better.

Dan

Old 08-27-2006, 04:02 PM

25 posts, read 181,991 times
Oldham County is beautiful and the schools are some of the best in the state! Housing costs are reasonable, crime rates are low, and it is conveniently located to Louisville. The only downside I can think of to Oldham is the state penitentiary is located there. However, that does not seem to cause many problems for the residents, and people are moving there like crazy. I have sold a lot of houses in Oldham County, and the people who sell their house there typically buy anther one there!

Old 08-28-2006, 05:45 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver30 View Post
Considering a move and wondering if anyone had any information and/or opinions about Buckner? I know it's in Oldham County. Good schools are important to us, as well as a community with various activities for our kids, i.e., sports, libraries, parks, etc.

Any info would be appreciated!

Buckner is a perfect little crossroads in Kentucky. It is 17-18 miles from where I-65 crosses the Ohio River in downtown Louisville KY. Lots of shopping, lots of recreation all around. Easy transportation from two major international airports (Louisville & Cincinnati). Oldham County schools are the best public schools in Kentucky and rate very highly on a national basis.

Housing is low cost with starter homes typically in the low 120's while luxury homes worth well over a million dollars frequent the area.

There is an excellent Family Y, a nationally rated high school, golf, community convention facility, and most denominations of faith represented nearby. Groceries are 5 to 10 minutes to mega stores or specialty shops such as butchers, ethic stores, etc. Costco/Sam's/Walmart and Target are represented nearby.

[cut]

Tom Cox

Last edited by Marka; 08-29-2006 at 02:52 AM..

Old 01-26-2007, 12:59 AM

246 posts, read 1,056,883 times
Default highliner

I wonder why Tom Cox is so badly misrepresenting the true nature of Buckner,Ky? Buckner is a village of about 1000 people, and does not have any of the shopping amenities he listed. There are a couple of gas stations, and a couple of small factories, a lumber yard, and the adjacent four state prison facilities located in Oldham county, and that's pretty much it. Real shopping and entertainment options are about 30min. away in Louisville. A small Wal-mart is located about three miles east of 'town' in nearby Lagrange, itself a nice town of about 6000 people.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:09 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highliner View Post
I wonder why Tom Cox is so badly misrepresenting the true nature of Buckner,Ky? Buckner is a village of about 1000 people, and does not have any of the shopping amenities he listed. There are a couple of gas stations, and a couple of small factories, a lumber yard, and the adjacent four state prison facilities located in Oldham county, and that's pretty much it. Real shopping and entertainment options are about 30min. away in Louisville. A small Wal-mart is located about three miles east of 'town' in nearby Lagrange, itself a nice town of about 6000 people.
Highliner, please dont come into a forum and accuse people of things. everything Tom said was true. While Buckner itself is not that "big" it is surrounded by many convenient suburban amenities. It is basically 5-10 minutes from the Summit and all the major national chain retail as well as less than 5 minutes from restuarants and Walmart in Lagrange. Those are the facts, plus Buckner is growing at exceedingly fast rates, along with every other entity in Oldham. The planned Buckner Crossings will forever change the residential and retail nature of the area.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:45 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highliner View Post
Mr Cox is a realtor, some realtors are like used car salesman.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Lea

3 posts, read 11,006 times
Hello everyone - I'm new here.

I just wanted to say that I live in LaGrange, Kentucky - right near Buckner. It only takes me 20 minutes to get to the Summit and TinselTown (major shopping areas nearby). I just love Oldham County and have lived here since 2001 - moved here for the great schools but ended up home schooling. We are finally getting more restaurants - Applebee's just opened in December in LaGrange and more are coming. We are members of the YMCA in Buckner and our family loves it.

There is suppose to be a very nice new library coming close to the end of this year in LaGrange. This is a very active area when it comes to parents and kids and sports.

Hope this was helpful.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:18 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,557 times
Default Tinsel Town?

There's actually a place called Tinsel Town? Tell me more.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:59 AM

850 posts, read 3,157,940 times
Default Tinsel Town!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyce65 View Post
There's actually a place called Tinsel Town? Tell me more.
Yes, Joyce - Tinsel Town exists! It is a wonderful shopping area off Westport Road with access to the Gene Snyder expressway (whihc leads straight to I-71), and it has almost evrything you would need shopping and eatery wise. The name comes from the Movie theatre located inside.

Meijers, Old Navy, and more...shops galore. The dining places are great, and while the traffic is sometimes busy (as in all suburban shopping areas at times) it is a wonderful place to go.

It is very accessible - easy on and off from the expressway - and is located in such an area that traveling up and down westport road will lead to more amennities. Additionally, I have enclosed a llink to The Summit - which someone mentioned earlier. This should give you more insight into that area.

http://www.thesummitonline.com/louisville/index.html (broken link) - this will also give you directions - as a map is included. Use it to see where in relation I-71 and the Gene Snyder are - both of which you will more than likely be traveling frequently .
Happy searching!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky