Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 06:35 AM

4 posts, read 52,306 times

Advertisements

My husband accepted a job in Bowling Green and will be needing a place to rent until we can sell our house in Henderson, KY and I can move down there with him.

I really want to keep my current job here, so we thought about trying to find a house somewhere in between, as close to half-way, for both of us.

Can anyone tell us some towns that are around Bowling Green and what they think of them?

I've read some other posts about it being hard to find a good paying job with benefits in Bowling Green, so that is one of the reasons I wish to keep my current job. Otherwise, we would just move to BG and I'd find a job down there.

Can anyone tell me more about Bowling Green? I haven't visited there yet, but will very soon. I know it is a college town, so I'm thinking it might be overrun with students partying all the time? I hope this isn't the case.

Anything you can share about BG and surrounding cities would be great.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 07:31 AM

4 posts, read 25,295 times
I have lived in Bowling Green most of my life and I love it here. We have just about every restaurant chain that you can think of and a great mall. The city is growing and the people are friendly. Western Kentucky University is here which is an added plus--especially if you have children or like to attend college sporting events.

I can't imagine that it would be harder to find a good job here than in any other city of comperable size. I know lots of people who have good jobs with benefits here. If you want to find a job here, you should check out our local Sunday paper. The Daily News doesn't have many job listings on other days so make sure you get a SUNDAY paper. You may be able to find job listings on the Daily News website at bgdailynews.com. I am not sure if they post all job listings on their website though. If you are unwilling to give up your current job and want to live half way in between, you will have to live in a VERY small town.

Good luck.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:03 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,800,928 times
Bowling Green is not overrun with partying college students. The area downtown between the square and campus is the closest to that environment.

Beaver Dam and Hartford look about half way. They are very small towns. Central City and Greenville are close by, which are a little bigger.

Have you looked in BG for jobs? What kind of work would you be looking for? Personally, I'd look for a job in BG. The job market has to be at least as good as Henderson.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:55 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,424,688 times
Hartford is about half way, I'm not sure I'd try that with gas prices they way they are, it's gets old drive a hour or so to work and home everyday. It's about 60 miles to Henderson from Hartford and from Hartford to BG is about 50, over an hour anyway you slice it. I know folks with jobs that have to drive 50, 60 or more miles to work and I know of none of them that like it. It ads about 3 hours every day to your work day, or 15+ hours a week on the road. I use to drive from Hopkinsville to Nashville (75 miles) and it was good road but it sucked, I now travel about 300 yards to the shop out back and love it.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:06 AM

5 posts, read 21,971 times
Default Possible move to BG from AZ

My husband is possibly taking a job in BG. Please help me in guiding me to a nice area either in or around BG. I will have my 14 year old son also, so school is important ( and football). Thanks

Old 09-26-2007, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 21,697 times
How is Warren County South for neighborhood. Schools not considered, as our children are grown. Is this one of the preferred areas? thanks

Old 09-26-2007, 11:06 AM

103 posts, read 446,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyfife View Post
How is Warren County South for neighborhood. Schools not considered, as our children are grown. Is this one of the preferred areas? thanks
The south side has nice newer neighborhoods built, and if you go a little further out, nice country living not far from town(within 15min+-).

As far as the school question, there is another thread that talks about Greenwood high, etc. look there.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:50 AM

10 posts, read 47,555 times
Partying college students...I wished :-)

For the 3 years I was at WKU, I never attended a "party"...but that is partly my fault I guess.

Actually no, I don't see an issue with wild college partiers...
EB

Old 05-17-2009, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 8,902 times
Me and my family are looking to relocate to Bowling Green, I am inquiring about jobs there in the BG area or nearby surrounding areas.....can anyone point me in the right direction?.... I would really appreciate it.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:36 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickwoods_40 View Post
Me and my family are looking to relocate to Bowling Green, I am inquiring about jobs there in the BG area or nearby surrounding areas.....can anyone point me in the right direction?.... I would really appreciate it.
This website lists employers for each county in Kentucky: Community Index | The Kentucky Cabinet for Economic Development

Hospitals, School districts and government jobs are not listed however.

Choose your county (Bowling Green is in Warren County) and then click on "Business and Industry."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky