Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 5,972 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move from Central New York to Bowling Green Kentucky. I was wondering how the job market is, the crime rate and living in general is there. It's a big move for me as it will be just myself and my dog. I need a change of scenery and a change of pace in life. From what I have researched so far it looks great but I was hoping for some input from other that live and work there. Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 04:34 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,756,483 times
Job market - lowER unemployment rate than most of state, but there isn't a high raw number of jobs. Keep in mind that the entire BG labor market serves fewer than 200,000 people. I would suggest looking for jobs in metropolitan Nashville but while that's only 50 miles away, the cost of gas is becoming a killer as you know.

Crime rate - low. There are few neighborhoods around downtown that are slightly sketchy. BG is an overgrown small town.

Quality of life - laid back, easy-going people generally. I personally am not that impressed with the town but most of the people from there that I've met seem to like it. I'm sure w/ the right search that you can find some niche there.

Good luck!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:52 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,126,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Job market - lowER unemployment rate than most of state, but there isn't a high raw number of jobs. Keep in mind that the entire BG labor market serves fewer than 200,000 people. I would suggest looking for jobs in metropolitan Nashville but while that's only 50 miles away, the cost of gas is becoming a killer as you know.

Crime rate - low. There are few neighborhoods around downtown that are slightly sketchy. BG is an overgrown small town.

Quality of life - laid back, easy-going people generally. I personally am not that impressed with the town but most of the people from there that I've met seem to like it. I'm sure w/ the right search that you can find some niche there.

Good luck!

Have you ever even been to Bowling Green, KY other than maybe passing through on I-65?

Old 04-18-2011, 11:00 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,126,728 times
I live in Bowling Green and would be glad to tell you anything you need to know about it...feel free to ask. The job market is not much like the rest of the country right now, it is not great. I would try to find something before I move here. You do not want to live in BG and drive to Nashville every day. The traffic is terrible and the gas would cost a fortune. People who have been doing it for years are rethinking it.
Bowling Green has a small town, friendly feel to it, with many of the amenities of a bigger city. It has grown a lot in the last 20 years. We are a college town with Western Kentucky University here which adds some interest to our demographics and cultural opportunities. We now have a minor league baseall team and stadium and are getting a new arts center downtown in that area. The downtown area is going through a revitalization which is moving slower than projected due to the economy but what has been done is nice.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 5,972 times
Thank you for your help. I have never been to Kentucky, it just sounded like a nice place to live. It's not all that far from home but yet far enough to find something new in life. Is there a particular web site to look for jobs there?
Sounds like I'd be better off living closer to Nashville but I'm not sure that I want to live in a big city. I'm from a small town in NY and it's pretty country and I like that. Bowling Green doesn't sound that much different than it is here just a little warmer lol.
I'm planning to come visit hopefully sometime in June for a few days to see how I really like it and if it would be the right move for me. I'm hoping that I can set up job interviews to go to as well while I am there.
Thanks again for all the help.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:11 PM

3 posts, read 15,342 times
My wife and I moved to BG (actually Alvaton) a couple years ago. Originally from California with stops in New England and Utah before coming here. BG is quite nice for families; not sure how I would feel if I were unattached--some of the WKU students we work with complain about a lack of stuff to do in town. It has a small town type feel with very friendly people, but quite a few activities I wouldn't expect to get with a population of its size--e.g., baseball games, orchestra, amusement park, etc. Only real complaints are bad traffic in certain parts of town and the ridiculous prices at the movie theatre (BG definitely needs to bring another chain in to break the monopoly the one has in town rather than focus on bringing in another half million restaurants.)

What kind of jobs are you looking for? I doubt the BG market is any better or worse than anywhere else right now. Not sure I'd move anywhere across the country right now without a job in hand unless you're going to North Dakota to join the oil boom. We moved here originally because I got a good offer on a science job; my wife had a number of interviews and offers from various places in BG but she was looking for part-time work not full-time. We have noticed the classifieds section of the paper picking up a bit over the last few months compared to last year but I'm not sure that there is any particular "growth" area.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:26 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,756,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Have you ever even been to Bowling Green, KY other than maybe passing through on I-65?
Why yes, I have. Several times, including several consecutive days last fall.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:45 AM

3 posts, read 7,838 times
I'm from the small town of Russellville ky. have been here all my life. It is the best place on earth. Not a lot of jobs and the income it not so great but it is home and the best people in the world live in God's country ( Russellville ky.)

Old 05-21-2011, 11:09 AM

671 posts, read 1,112,635 times
sorry wrong thread

Last edited by Lemming95; 05-21-2011 at 12:20 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 PM

37 posts, read 83,763 times
Let's just say you'll never go hungry in Bowling Green. Everything plus the kitchen sink is on Scottsville Road (which is near the university).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky