Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 PM

406 posts, read 862,609 times

Advertisements

I would suggest Danville. It's a great combination in my opinion. There is quite a bit in town and in the county, it is also less than a hour drive from Lexington. Lousiville is close enough for a day trip, with outdoor attractions nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 08:01 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,024,047 times
I'm in Louisville and it is a larger city than what your asking, but it really is a great place to raise a family. The news recently reported how we are on top in some magazine. Also I'm sorry to hear how that Texas board treated you. I know how you feel. I was in Florida a while back and when some senior citizen asked me where I was from, her reply is how I don't belong on this side of the ocean and how I needed to be on the other side (Gulf).

Old 09-01-2011, 01:00 PM

4 posts, read 5,899 times
[FONT=Times New Roman]We have lived in Mount Sterling, KY. It is a nice city, 25 min from Lexington. I love it. We have now house for sell. It is a great place to start a new family. If you are interested write me at [EMAIL="Irina_Duff@yahoo.com"]Irina_Duff@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]. [/FONT]

Old 09-01-2011, 03:11 PM

28 posts, read 53,698 times
I just moved to Etown about 5 months ago and really feel it has most things you are looking for. There are good public schools and 2 or 3 good private options as well. There are a growing number of restaurants and shopping (TJ Maxx, Gap, Old Navy, Barnes N Nobles, Target) and we are 40 minutes to Louisville and all the dining and shopping it has. There are some very good churches who are very active. One thing that is missing is a nice historic section of town, but Bardstown has that. The housing market is skewed a bit on the high side which I think is due to the BRAC transplants from the DC area. I am in my early 30s and have met a lot of young couples moving to the area. It is centrally located and 35 minutes from a major airport (Louisville) which is nice for traveling. Overall, Etown is a very nice place to raise a family.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:06 AM

22 posts, read 41,806 times
Hey, if you do decide to stay in Mississippi, check out the Carnes/Brooklyn/McLauren/Dixie area. It's just south of Hattiesburg, the schools are better than most in Hattiesburg, and it's pretty rural. I am a little biased - I grew up in Dixie, went to FCAHS, and l9iked growing up there (had to move for my Yankee hubby, on this board because we're looking to move to KYwithin the next 6 months or so).

I know this is an old thread, just wanted to put the info out there for you. I love Hattiesburg and the surrounding area, just can't live there anymore (two years of Chicago kinda spoiled me to snow, lol). Good luck.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,497 times
I don't agree with things getting worse going east. Ask them about the 550 tons of weapons of mass destruction stored in Richmond Kentucky since 1941, that has had some leaks! We live just 2 miles outside of Paintsville, Kentucky, about 7 miles from the home place of Loretta Lynn. We have one of the highest rated schools in the STATE. Our small town is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. We are not as poor as people say we are. Check out my house for sale on for sale by owner website, then click on Hagerhill, Kentucky, then on newly built federal style home priced at $795,000. It is not as poverty stricken as people think. The cost of living here is very low and also very low crime rate. I am proud to live in Kentucky!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:03 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,542,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa Lee Pack View Post
I don't agree with things getting worse going east. Ask them about the 550 tons of weapons of mass destruction stored in Richmond Kentucky since 1941, that has had some leaks! We live just 2 miles outside of Paintsville, Kentucky, about 7 miles from the home place of Loretta Lynn. We have one of the highest rated schools in the STATE. Our small town is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. We are not as poor as people say we are. Check out my house for sale on for sale by owner website, then click on Hagerhill, Kentucky, then on newly built federal style home priced at $795,000. It is not as poverty stricken as people think. The cost of living here is very low and also very low crime rate. I am proud to live in Kentucky!
Paintsville is nice! Thanks for sharing! I wish more people from Eastern Kentucky posted on here!

Old 09-24-2011, 02:54 AM

44 posts, read 124,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Mamma View Post
a town of 20,000 or less that not to many Northerners have moved to
This is funny. I'm from up there, but hate it there. KY is my home now.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:03 PM

42 posts, read 71,701 times
I grew up in Madisonville and personally I think it is great place to live but it is a bit on the small side. Sounds like it might fit the OP bill but for anyone else interested its a good little town but they are lacking on shopping. However you are within a few hours of Nashville and 45minutes from Evansville, In both of which have everything you will need for shopping and both are great day trips. I currently don't live there in fact where getting ready to move to Seattle for a year but our plan is to move back in a year . I have been gone 10 years now and frankly I am ready to go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky