Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 01:46 PM

12 posts, read 58,308 times

Advertisements

What is on Green Crossing, Turpin and Ballard, and the other one you mentioned? I was trying to look those streets up and can't find them. I emailed the nurse recruiter for the University in Lexington, I will probably hear from her tommorow. I saw that they have a good program after school is finished with the traumas, they will send you for more schooling but you would owe them time. Although, working in the ER out here I have seen some trauma. The hospital I work at is in the retirement city "Sun City" everyone from everywhere lives there. Anyway, we see alot of cardiac and respiratory distress, codes daily. The other day we had a little baby code....it was extremely sad the whole day was not the same after that. The MVA trauma, they usually send those out to trauma units air evac so I haven't done too many of those.
I will be bringing my girls when I come. I am leaning towards Lexington, Richmond area, although I am still going to see what Louisville looks like. I don't think I am going to transfer into the nursing program out there. I only have a couple of semesters and don't want to pay the out of state tuition prices. It seems a long time away, but in the long run I can be saving more money. Although, I do pay $900 a month when it looks like you all don't pay over $500. But I am in a new 4bdrm home. Than again I think the salaries are significantly lower out there.
Kat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 10:15 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedfnaz View Post
What is on Green Crossing, Turpin and Ballard, and the other one you mentioned? I was trying to look those streets up and can't find them. I emailed the nurse recruiter for the University in Lexington, I will probably hear from her tommorow. I saw that they have a good program after school is finished with the traumas, they will send you for more schooling but you would owe them time. Although, working in the ER out here I have seen some trauma. The hospital I work at is in the retirement city "Sun City" everyone from everywhere lives there. Anyway, we see alot of cardiac and respiratory distress, codes daily. The other day we had a little baby code....it was extremely sad the whole day was not the same after that. The MVA trauma, they usually send those out to trauma units air evac so I haven't done too many of those.
I will be bringing my girls when I come. I am leaning towards Lexington, Richmond area, although I am still going to see what Louisville looks like. I don't think I am going to transfer into the nursing program out there. I only have a couple of semesters and don't want to pay the out of state tuition prices. It seems a long time away, but in the long run I can be saving more money. Although, I do pay $900 a month when it looks like you all don't pay over $500. But I am in a new 4bdrm home. Than again I think the salaries are significantly lower out there.
Kat
A new 4 bedroom home will easily rent for 900 plus in Louisville, and much more in a high end neighborhood. For 500 you can get a one bedroom but it may not be in the best area.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:48 AM

329 posts, read 1,099,135 times
Yes, if you are looking for city, but much cheaper... I'd certainly suggest you look in Madison county, around Richmond, or especially Berea area. MUCH MUCH Cheaper cost of living than Louisville!!!

Turpin Drive, Ballard Drive, (the hill area, which are about all the streets from around Main St and 1st Street North & East up the hill, all the way to 52 really) This is a hard area to describe its boundaries. Just not nice areas to live. A realtor would know if you just said "The hill"

I lived off Red House Road on Miller Drive. It's just like Kichenwich describes, nice, nice area of town, and on out past that on Red House is just country living and beautiful/peaceful!

Lancaster Road is gorgeous as well with huge yards, easy access to Richmond and Berea (the back way) and beautiful country living while outside of town, and beautiful historic living while in town!

Old 08-08-2007, 01:32 AM

12 posts, read 58,308 times
Thanks Desiree, I was wondering what Berea was

Old 08-08-2007, 09:12 AM

329 posts, read 1,099,135 times
Umm... Berea is the town just south of Richmond on I-75, or you can drive south from Richmond to Berea on Lancaster Road (this is the back way / non-interstate way to drive it).

Berea is a very, very nice small town with a college and very artsy!

Old 08-10-2007, 01:25 PM

190 posts, read 812,003 times
Hi Blessed-Sorry for the delay in getting back to you-it's just been crazy around here with school getting ready to go back. Desiree hit the nail on the head, as there really are no "boundaries" for the roads I mentioned in an earlier post. It's more of a generalized neighborhood thing. The Ballard/Turpin areas are really a strange mix. You have low income apartments on one side, HUD apartments in the middle, and nice houses just a few roads over! It really is one of the highest crime areas in our little town. The school there has a day treatment facility right on the grounds! The local police call the area "Little China Town", not referring to the races, but to the crime. The Hill Street area is a neighborhood in town that has quite a bit of town. Everyone around can tell you to avoid Hill St., Francis Street, etc. in that area. One of the main problems there is a pretty rough bar/bar crowd. Don't ask, just avoid. Green's Crossing isn't really that bad on crime, but there is a race track towards the end. You hear race cars going up till 9 p.m. on most days, midnight on weekends. Unless you are a huge racing fan, it will get on your nerves! Plus, the housing in the area is really piled up on top of one another, and a mix of everything from trailors to mansions. We moved there when we first got married and made it a whole month! I just could not handle the noise from the races!

There is a beautiful new subdivision on the new by-pass, I believe by Ball Homes. The sign in the front states the houses are from 100-200k, but they all are extremely well built, have nice yards, and situated right outside Richmond and close to the interstate. These houses in a larger city like Lexington would probably start around $250k. They impressed me, and I'm not really the "subdivision" type.

Berea is a smaller town located south of Richmond. It's a charming little town, and would make an excellent choice for someone retired or raising children. Low crime, low utilities, dry, excellent schools, very affordable living. Plus, it's right on I-75.
Berea! The Folk Arts & Crafts Capital of Kentucky
Berea College
Berea Kentucky City Guide - Berea,Ky / Berea,Kentucky Ky

If you are looking for a slow, laid back lifestyle, this would definitely fit your bill. It's one of the few towns that I feel comfortable walking at night (and I have!). Just remember, with small towns comes it's own set of problems. Everyone knows everyone, limited shopping, etc.

Hope all this helps you in your decision! I'm sure you will find the perfect place.

All the best,
~joanna~

Old 08-13-2007, 12:26 AM

14 posts, read 45,493 times
I grew up in KY, both in Louisville and in Paducah.
I spent my childhood in Louisville, in the 'Burbs, and I have only fond memories of the place. Matter of fact, my Dad is still there. He's an Attorney for the State. He loves it. He says that the worst crimes tend to be in Eastern KY. I don't know much about the crime stats, so I'll take his word on it. I don't recall there being any racism, I did grow up in the Catholic school systems there, where people of all colors where there but it was primarily white. BUT I still have friends there, they have married wonderful husbands of every color! And have children!
Paducah is a really beautiful place where land and home prices are GREAT! There are to nice hospitals there. It is a definate change of pace from city living. It is actually the third largest city in the state. Paducah is a cross of city and country~ It is close to bigger cities such as St. Louis, Nashville, and Chicago. It is only four hours to Louisville. There was a great mixture of people in Paducah as well. Paducah is where my Mom lives. She teaches and she loves it. If you DO decide you'll check out Paducah, specifically take a look at Lone Oak, Heath, and Reidland. They have the better school systems. I don't know what ages your children are, but county schools outscore city schools constantly. My Mom teaches at an elementry school called Concord, she's been there 18 years, and she says it's the best! She may be a little biased though! LOL
Totally depends on how rural you'd like it! The only place in KY that I'd ever heard of having serious racial issues was a county called Marshall. But, since I've never been to a town in that county, I couldn't say if it was urban legend or true. *shrugs*
I think KY would be a nice place for any family. No matter what color, creed, religion, or sexual orientation they are.
I currently live in GA, we are military, and THIS place... *shivers* This place has a racial thing like none I've EVER seen before. I would NOT suggest Georgia~ or least RURAL GA.
I can say that anywhere close to an Army post would be a GREAT place to be! I HIGHLY suggest FORT BRAGG, NC!! We lived there for almost 10 years and I never had a problem there, nor did my friends.(Note: My best friend is a German white lady who is married to a South Carolina Black SSGT, they have three teenagers) MOST of my friends had mixed children, some where mixed with hispanic, some native American, some from the Islands. They are from just about anywhere. Military posts have the least amount of racism, I think, because the husbands and wives are united together on so many fronts. AND God knows, WOMAC always NEEDS good nurses! LOL NC is beautiful too. Not as hot as GA, close to the ocean, houses are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP! Before we PSCed, we looked at a two story, 4 bdrm, 2 bath, 2 car garage, on a quarter acr. in a NICE area, beautifully wooded, close to post and Fayetteville, low crime, lots of trees, for $145K!!!! It was on the edge of Harnett Co. Nice schools there. Overhills. Very nice. Brand new, too.
Gah! Sorry! I talk TOO much~ hope I haven't bored you to death. Any questions with anything I have thrown your way, I'll happily answer.
LOL~ Ok, I hope that I have helped you out some. Good luck looking for a new place to live. I am sure that you will find a wonderful spot for you and your family. :} ~Jessi~

Old 08-13-2007, 01:13 AM

246 posts, read 1,056,883 times
Default highliner

I don't believe that you'll encounter much in the form of overt racist activity here. My background involves two-plus decades of law enforcement and related employment, and I can truthfully assure you that most Kentuckians won't tolerate Klan type behavior. (Yeah yeah yeah- I know, intolerance of racial intolerance constitutes an oxymoron,whatever.) Come ahead and give our terrific state a try! I love the Madison county area, but I think that the Louisville or Northern Kentucky metro areas would offer greatly superior- read more$$$- job opportunities, not to mention that they are significantly more populous. With the exception of dying, dirty little towns/counties such as Drakesboro ,Trimble County , or Benton, I find that most white people here are quite friendly and open-minded. I simply don't get much BS about my color while here in the Bluegrass State. Give us a year, and you probably will never want to leave! Good luck.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:33 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWifeJessica View Post
I grew up in KY, both in Louisville and in Paducah.
I spent my childhood in Louisville, in the 'Burbs, and I have only fond memories of the place. Matter of fact, my Dad is still there. He's an Attorney for the State. He loves it. He says that the worst crimes tend to be in Eastern KY. I don't know much about the crime stats, so I'll take his word on it. I don't recall there being any racism, I did grow up in the Catholic school systems there, where people of all colors where there but it was primarily white. BUT I still have friends there, they have married wonderful husbands of every color! And have children!
Paducah is a really beautiful place where land and home prices are GREAT! There are to nice hospitals there. It is a definate change of pace from city living. It is actually the third largest city in the state. Paducah is a cross of city and country~ It is close to bigger cities such as St. Louis, Nashville, and Chicago. It is only four hours to Louisville. There was a great mixture of people in Paducah as well. Paducah is where my Mom lives. She teaches and she loves it. If you DO decide you'll check out Paducah, specifically take a look at Lone Oak, Heath, and Reidland. They have the better school systems. I don't know what ages your children are, but county schools outscore city schools constantly. My Mom teaches at an elementry school called Concord, she's been there 18 years, and she says it's the best! She may be a little biased though! LOL
Totally depends on how rural you'd like it! The only place in KY that I'd ever heard of having serious racial issues was a county called Marshall. But, since I've never been to a town in that county, I couldn't say if it was urban legend or true. *shrugs*
I think KY would be a nice place for any family. No matter what color, creed, religion, or sexual orientation they are.
I currently live in GA, we are military, and THIS place... *shivers* This place has a racial thing like none I've EVER seen before. I would NOT suggest Georgia~ or least RURAL GA.
I can say that anywhere close to an Army post would be a GREAT place to be! I HIGHLY suggest FORT BRAGG, NC!! We lived there for almost 10 years and I never had a problem there, nor did my friends.(Note: My best friend is a German white lady who is married to a South Carolina Black SSGT, they have three teenagers) MOST of my friends had mixed children, some where mixed with hispanic, some native American, some from the Islands. They are from just about anywhere. Military posts have the least amount of racism, I think, because the husbands and wives are united together on so many fronts. AND God knows, WOMAC always NEEDS good nurses! LOL NC is beautiful too. Not as hot as GA, close to the ocean, houses are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP! Before we PSCed, we looked at a two story, 4 bdrm, 2 bath, 2 car garage, on a quarter acr. in a NICE area, beautifully wooded, close to post and Fayetteville, low crime, lots of trees, for $145K!!!! It was on the edge of Harnett Co. Nice schools there. Overhills. Very nice. Brand new, too.
Gah! Sorry! I talk TOO much~ hope I haven't bored you to death. Any questions with anything I have thrown your way, I'll happily answer.
LOL~ Ok, I hope that I have helped you out some. Good luck looking for a new place to live. I am sure that you will find a wonderful spot for you and your family. :} ~Jessi~

Do you know someone names Kirsten who is also from here who's hubby is also stationed down there?

Old 08-13-2007, 06:38 AM

14 posts, read 45,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Do you know someone names Kirsten who is also from here who's hubby is also stationed down there?
Hm... No, I can't say I do, but I am new to here... *shrugs* This is such a small area, I might actually run into her! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky