Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 10:06 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times

Advertisements

I'm not asking who you will be voting for. If you choose to disclose it, fine. If not, fine. It's your choice and business. However, I love to discuss politics and this is certainly shaping up to be an interesting Governor's race already.

Quite honestly, I predict that the Williams/Farmer ticket will obviously win the Republican primary. I don't see where any other candidates on the ticket have the name recognitions of David Williams and Richie Farmer. HOWEVER...Beshear/Abramson will cream Williams/Farmer in the general election.

Discuss predictions, takes, dynamics, candidates' personalities. Just don't childishly attack the candidates as people (and I know we won't because we're the Kentucky forum. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 01:17 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,652 times
I originally thought Ritchie Farmer was a great choice for Williams. But he's been self-destructing lately and could actually cost votes.

Kentucky has always been conservative and is trending that way even more lately. So while I think Bershear wins, it's going to be very close, imo. Bershear does seem to have the advantage in money and the incumbency. And Williams may have a tougher time of the primary than we think. Maffott (?) has the surging Tea Party behind him, and Bobbie Holsclaw is very popular in Jefferson County, where she has done a wonderful job as the county clerk.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:40 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Rule of politics... Williams/Farmer have GOP "incumbency", one challenger could win, but two split and incumbent wins. Farmer will need to resign from the ticket after primary to not be an issue in Nov.

Not certain that Beshear/Abramson is that formidible. Now that the Mayor for life is out of power, his loss with the fire dept pension issue, Beshear's lack of a fight against Obamacare, and the anti-union movement will lay in the Demo way.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:24 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,085,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Rule of politics... Williams/Farmer have GOP "incumbency", one challenger could win, but two split and incumbent wins. Farmer will need to resign from the ticket after primary to not be an issue in Nov.

Not certain that Beshear/Abramson is that formidible. Now that the Mayor for life is out of power, his loss with the fire dept pension issue, Beshear's lack of a fight against Obamacare, and the anti-union movement will lay in the Demo way.
Another issue for the Beshear/Abramson ticket is whether Kentucky will vote with the Jewish religion. This was not an issue in Louisville but the rest of the 119 counties may make it an issue. Abramson has bones in the closet. I think Beshear could have picked a safer candidate since it's HIM that is getting reelected not some tag-a-long.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:01 AM

11 posts, read 23,437 times
I sure hope Bashear|Abramson don't win look how screwed up Louisville is due to Jerry the Fairy Abramson.While in Office all he did was spend money on useless crap downtown.When he loses watch him do what he did last time he lost and move back to Philly.when he lost the Mayor race way back in the day he and his wife left owing Bacons and several other stores several thousands of dollars for his wifes extravagent spending sprees.I also Know a retires policeman that wittnessed Jerry and another MAN taking a city owned boat out for private nightly crusies

Old 04-29-2011, 09:11 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieKennedy View Post
I sure hope Bashear|Abramson don't win look how screwed up Louisville is due to Jerry the Fairy Abramson.While in Office all he did was spend money on useless crap downtown.When he loses watch him do what he did last time he lost and move back to Philly.when he lost the Mayor race way back in the day he and his wife left owing Bacons and several other stores several thousands of dollars for his wifes extravagent spending sprees.I also Know a retires policeman that wittnessed Jerry and another MAN taking a city owned boat out for private nightly crusies
Oh please, no gay bashing even if true. (And it isn't.)

Abramson wasn't perfect, but on the whole he dragged Louisville kicking and screaming into the 20th century and made it a city that carries the entire state economically.

Like it or not, the expansion of the airport was critical to our economic well being. It locked UPS in to Louisville and they could be our best corporate citizen, and also added the presence of Southwest Air. The waterfront was literally a waste land before he took over. Downtown looked like Detroit looks now. He got it cleaned up and now we have Fourth Street Live, a thriving medical community, and many new corporate headquarters like the Presbyterian Church and Yum. With high paying labor jobs closing down all over the country, he helped protect both Ford and GE and all those jobs. By "useless crap" do you mean the new Yum Center, which is proving to be a huge success? Or Fourth Street Live? Or the Slugger Museum? Or the Science Center? Or the new hospitals? Useless crap?

By no stretch of the imagination did he screw Louisville up. I've lived in Jefferson County all my life and worked in downtown Louisville both before and after he took office, and can personally attest to the improvements he made. It was night and day.

He is by no means perfect and he made his share of mistakes like every single one of us, but there is a reason his approval ratings are consistently above 70%, which is astounding for any politician anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: