Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 07:15 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times

Advertisements

Well, yes, many of my busy week and a half's activities were done quite as satisfactorily here in Lexington and in the immediate surrounding area (which included four smaller communities, each within an hour's drive of Lexington) as they might have been done elsewhere.

After all, how many different ways can one walk through a nature sanctuary (taking photos, fording streams, using field guides, identifying birds, wildflowers, fossils and animal tracks along the way), read six widely varying books, visit with friends, attend a somewhat esoteric club meeting, and so on? How can one rate the quality of such experiences?

Why would such experiences be more valid/valuable had they occurred elsewhere than in central Kentucky? How do you think their qualities might have been bettered, had they happened somewhere else? In what particular ideal community do you think all of these activities might have been superior to those I experienced locally?

Larger isn't necessarily better; in fact, it's frequently worse. Nor is smaller better, for that matter. It's just smaller. Just as larger is just larger.

BTW, "Lexington" didn't do all those things. Nor did "one".

I did. In and around Lexington.

Your point being?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 08:30 AM

40 posts, read 66,212 times
Smile Hancock County

Can someone be so kind to tell me what Hawesville area is like? We are retired and in the process of buying a small farm there, as we have animals. We chose this area because we have a small cabin cruiser, we enjoy boating, are there any boat clubs in the surrounding areas? just looking for a nice area to settle down and call home. any information is welcomed.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:15 AM

24 posts, read 33,046 times
Hello,

Lexington has a very nice medical facility in the UK Hospital. It is well tied in with research through the university. It has fine medical staff and a fine reputation.

Saint Joseph hospital in Lexington has a Saint Jo's East and Saint Jo's West. Not sure which is which now, but the one downtown Lexington has the better reputation. There is a branch of Saint Jo's in Nicholasville which is more rural but close to Lexington which would make it a nice area to live in and be close enough to Lexington for work.

Hope everything works well for you and your family!

Regards,

kwien

Old 12-22-2012, 02:42 PM

40 posts, read 66,212 times
Unhappy Hawesville, KY

I am replying to my own question, after having moved here. It been a year now, it is a nice area but hard to make friends, or meet folks. They have familys and really are not interested in outsiders, folks will say hello, and introduce themselves and welcome you, that is it.
I think if you don't have children or family you are out of luck at making friends.
Boating traffic on the Ohio River is mostly barges, nothing else to speak of, hard to find much going on you must travel to Owensboro or Evansville, that gets old at our age.
I don't know if we will stay or not, I can say it is a very pretty area.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:15 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivadell View Post
I am replying to my own question, after having moved here. It been a year now, it is a nice area but hard to make friends, or meet folks. They have familys and really are not interested in outsiders, folks will say hello, and introduce themselves and welcome you, that is it.
I think if you don't have children or family you are out of luck at making friends.
Boating traffic on the Ohio River is mostly barges, nothing else to speak of, hard to find much going on you must travel to Owensboro or Evansville, that gets old at our age.
What were your expectations of an area to move to?
Did you visit first? Research ???

It disturbs me to read posts like this, because I moved here and immediately had friends, a job and rich social life without making any effort at all. I consider my area of KY one of the most friendly places IVe ever lived of lots.

I think you are in the right state, you just have to narrow it down to a specific area.

Best wishes for you and hopes that you find "your" place, eventually

Old 12-23-2012, 08:31 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivadell View Post

It is not the state...it is the town you are in. How old are you if you do not mind me asking? I think you need to move over to the Louisville area, which has 1.3 million people. If you cannot find friends in a group that large, I do not know what to say. PM me for advice on where to look.

That said, I have been to Hawesville once and can see what you mean, but it sure is a wonderfully quaint small town.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:24 PM

94 posts, read 236,389 times
To the OP:

I'd like to second Daviess or McLean County as good areas for your requirements. I grew up in McLean County and went to the local schools here. The schools all have great test scores, but the options for classes are pretty limited (though there are plenty of AP classes to choose from). For more opportunities, I'd look into the Daviess County schools - like Apollo or Daviess County High School. As for the younger set, both McLean County and Daviess County have great elementary and middle schools. One benefit of Mclean County, though, is the size. I graduated with 100 students. The classes are never more than 22-25, and often even less (I had an AP literature class with 8 people. It was extremely productive.)
But Daviess schools have more students and also more opportunities. A good friend of mine transferred to that school system so she could be part of a drama club/do theater, something that was dropped when I was in school at McLean. It may have been picked up since then, though. I'm not sure.

Good ares to look into would be the area between the two counties. My aunt lives in the middle (kids at Daviess schools) and her place has a HUGE yard with a lake and lots of space. And she works in Owensboro (which does have a good hospital) with an easy commute. Both counties are also less than an hour from Evansville, IN, which is a nice sized city with a little more to do than Owensboro. Nice to do some shopping every once in a while.

I can't say much about the other areas suggested above, but I definitely think Daviess County or McLean County would be good options for your criteria. Also, if you have any questions about either, feel free to private message me.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:13 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Rivadell, there are 120 counties in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Don't judge us all from one county. Got a lot of friendly folks out there ready to say hello! We had some friends move to Trigg County a few years ago. He is stationed at Ft. Campbell (101st Airborne) and they bought a place on Lake Barkley. They hadn't finished backing the U Haul in the driveway when 4 different neighbors were walking over with food and offers to help them unload.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:59 PM

14,761 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Well, I think each town/city can have it's own personality. Many towns in Kentucky are very, very friendly....but there are a few who don't like outsiders so much, so it pays to research it out.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:06 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
I was born and raised in McLean County, farmed along the Daviess McLean Co line, lived in Henderson, and travelled the area extensively until I was 40. Which was just about the time coal began to run out. Hawesville/Lewisport/Hancock County was/is a quiet county. Same for McLean County. Even the Owensboro-Daviess County area is realitively quiet.

Having history in the area, I know those people, if you are not enjoying the area because people are hard to get to know, it is most likely that you aren't willing to meet them. My people find joy in their schools, their churches, the local fire departments, Masonic Lodges, and not a whole lot more.

There could be lots of new opportunities for socialization, but it will take imagination, leadership, and hard work. Open all the doors, few will be offended if you close them, but open them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky