Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 08:59 PM

30 posts, read 45,378 times

Advertisements

1. It is a special plate...... you are not forced to buy it.
  2. Many southern states already have this plate option, why cant KY?
NBD really.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:06 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke11y View Post
  1. It is a special plate...... you are not forced to buy it.
  2. Many southern states already have this plate option, why cant KY?
NBD really.
Right. Why don't we also have plates with the Russian flag on it? No one would be required to buy it. Kentucky is not a southern state. And even it was, so what? There should be no other flag but the stars and stripes on American soil. That is our national flag. If you don't like it, you can always move. The civil war is over, dude.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:43 AM

6 posts, read 11,690 times
Interesting, but I agree with you. I think the US flag should be the only one. Here in Florida, and also in Cali, there have been schools that have flown the Mexican flag. Shame on them. I dont want my taxes paying for that garbage.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 655 times
For all you close minded people about the confederate license, Kentucky was a confederate state it has a star on the star on the confederate flag 28 counties in kentucky did join the confederacy.If you dont know your history please dont make stupid comments on something you dont know. I am from kentucky i have lived and worked here all my life i am a very sucessfull business owner and i do support the license plate 100% i love and honor my heritage just like all the kentuckians i know so please get a vote out there for the license plate i gaurantee it will pass in this confederate state KY!!! and for all the bowlingreen people thank you for the positive responses, bg was the capital of all the confederate states for 2 weeks thats all 13 confederate states including ky!!!

Old 06-03-2014, 02:08 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrebel View Post
For all you close minded people about the confederate license, Kentucky was a confederate state it has a star on the star on the confederate flag 28 counties in kentucky did join the confederacy.If you dont know your history please dont make stupid comments on something you dont know. I am from kentucky i have lived and worked here all my life i am a very sucessfull business owner and i do support the license plate 100% i love and honor my heritage just like all the kentuckians i know so please get a vote out there for the license plate i gaurantee it will pass in this confederate state KY!!! and for all the bowlingreen people thank you for the positive responses, bg was the capital of all the confederate states for 2 weeks thats all 13 confederate states including ky!!!
Kentucky was a border state, which never officially seceded from the Union. It is true that many parts of Kentucky changed hands repeatedly during the war, and that there were Kentuckians who fought for, or otherwise supported, each side. And yes, that star does stand for Kentucky - but the state as a whole remained part of the Union legally.

I expect you'd get more interest in your post if you would correct its punctuation and spelling. It makes reading easier - give it a try. If you're not sure where to end a run-on sentence, remember not to follow a noun (the name of someone or something) with another noun or pronoun (such as "it", "he", "she", "I" unless you use a period after the first noun to end the sentence. Then capitalize the second noun or pronoun to start a new sentence. It's not hard.

Also, use apostrophes in contractions: it's not "dont", but "don't", and not "thats" but "that's". The apostrophe shows where a letter or letters were left out when the writer combined two words: "do not" becomes "don't" - the apostrophe stands for the left-out "o". Just as in "that's", the apostrophe stands for the left-out "i".

Proper nouns - the given names of people and places - are capitalized. It's not "kentucky", but "Kentucky". Ditto "Bowling Green" - two words, both capitalized. When you are referring to yourself, use "I", not "i".

"Successful" has two "c"s and one "l". "Gaurantee" is not the correct way to spell "guarantee".

Sorry if this seems snarky, but errors of this kind just make you look uneducated and thus diminish the credibility of your "cause".

For the record, I am also a native Kentuckian, with ancestors who fought on both sides during the Civil War, including a g-g-grandfather who was in Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg. I don't feel compelled to honor them via my license plate, however, but am glad to talk with others about them if those others seem interested. They were all men of conscience who were products of their time, a time which was very different from our own.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:37 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrebel View Post
Kentucky was certainly NOT a confederate state. Perhaps you should learn something about your own history. I was born here and have lived here all my life as well, in case you were wondering.

http://www.history.com/topics/americ...tes-of-America

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentuck...ican_Civil_War

Old 06-06-2014, 10:43 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Kentucky was certainly NOT a confederate state. Perhaps you should learn something about your own history. I was born here and have lived here all my life as well, in case you were wondering.

http://www.history.com/topics/americ...tes-of-America

Kentucky in the American Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You are absolutely correct. KY never left the Union. It was neutral. KY absolutely should not endorse a confederate plate because it is not its history. This is probably the idea of a rural, agrarian minded politician from eastern or south central KY. The fact that this is a debate is sad IMO.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:29 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Kentucky was a border state, which never officially seceded from the Union. It is true that many parts of Kentucky changed hands repeatedly during the war, and that there were Kentuckians who fought for, or otherwise supported, each side. And yes, that star does stand for Kentucky - but the state as a whole remained part of the Union legally.

I expect you'd get more interest in your post if you would correct its punctuation and spelling. It makes reading easier - give it a try. If you're not sure where to end a run-on sentence, remember not to follow a noun (the name of someone or something) with another noun or pronoun (such as "it", "he", "she", "I" unless you use a period after the first noun to end the sentence. Then capitalize the second noun or pronoun to start a new sentence. It's not hard.

Also, use apostrophes in contractions: it's not "dont", but "don't", and not "thats" but "that's". The apostrophe shows where a letter or letters were left out when the writer combined two words: "do not" becomes "don't" - the apostrophe stands for the left-out "o". Just as in "that's", the apostrophe stands for the left-out "i".

Proper nouns - the given names of people and places - are capitalized. It's not "kentucky", but "Kentucky". Ditto "Bowling Green" - two words, both capitalized. When you are referring to yourself, use "I", not "i".

"Successful" has two "c"s and one "l". "Gaurantee" is not the correct way to spell "guarantee".

Sorry if this seems snarky, but errors of this kind just make you look uneducated and thus diminish the credibility of your "cause".

For the record, I am also a native Kentuckian, with ancestors who fought on both sides during the Civil War, including a g-g-grandfather who was in Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg. I don't feel compelled to honor them via my license plate, however, but am glad to talk with others about them if those others seem interested. They were all men of conscience who were products of their time, a time which was very different from our own.

"And yes, that star does stand for Kentucky "

nuff said !

Your post should have ended right there after your admission.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:21 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
We went to a parade this morning here in Danville, and one of the first groups in the parade was an honor guard/band composed of Civil War re-enactment buffs in Union uniforms. They got a smattering of applause, but when a Confederate honor guard came down the street a few minutes later, they got a round of applause that I would say was easily twice as enthusiastic and widespread as their bluecoat colleagues. Obviously purely anecdotal, so you can't read too much into it, but I did find it quite interesting.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:35 AM

65 posts, read 112,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
We went to a parade this morning here in Danville, and one of the first groups in the parade was an honor guard/band composed of Civil War re-enactment buffs in Union uniforms. They got a smattering of applause, but when a Confederate honor guard came down the street a few minutes later, they got a round of applause that I would say was easily twice as enthusiastic and widespread as their bluecoat colleagues. Obviously purely anecdotal, so you can't read too much into it, but I did find it quite interesting.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky