Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:07 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

I view Kentucky as being very similar to Missouri, Virginia, and West Virginia as far as the whole Mason Dixon line thing goes.

The counties across from Cincinnati are ZERO percent Southern. No different than the suburban Ohio counties outside Cincy. By contrasts the counties on the TN border are 100% Southern. Areas in btw are a mixture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 04:27 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I view Kentucky as being very similar to Missouri, Virginia, and West Virginia as far as the whole Mason Dixon line thing goes.

The counties across from Cincinnati are ZERO percent Southern. No different than the suburban Ohio counties outside Cincy. By contrasts the counties on the TN border are 100% Southern. Areas in btw are a mixture
I'm not really sure the OP knows exactly where Kentucky is.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:05 PM

386 posts, read 987,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee77 View Post
Gunner, lol.

I think people consider a yankee, someone from any state that actually touches a dirty northern state. Northern state being any state above the original mason dixon line. So WV, VA although having strong Appalachia/southern roots could be easily lumped with yanks, because after all VA rubs on Washington(ickkky)....
Using this logic than KY would be in that same category since it also borders Ohio, and Indiana and shares metro's with these states in some areas.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
I'm not really sure the OP knows exactly where Kentucky is.
I asked the question primarily for the location reason alone. I was in another KY thread and I noticed a lot of people were referring to people in Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois as Yankee's (although there are parts of these states that actually are geographically south of parts of KY), so I was curious about the perception of people from border states/areas who live in Kentucky. Obviously in Mississippi/Louisiana the upper south might all be considered Yankees to some people (Virginia, Kentucky, West Virginia, etc).

Old 06-21-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

Your second paragraph is how I would also describe Virginia culturally. The NOVA area is a DC suburb and is no longer southern, although I have been told that the area felt southern 30 years ago. Most of southern Virginia feels almost identical to the Carolinas. Southwest VA feels identical to Tennessee.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:50 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
I can see the "Northern" argument applying to much of Missouri, but there are parts of Missouri that are more southern than KY, geographically & culturally (Bootheel). One could also argue similarities between the Ozarks and rural KY, but that would be a bit of a stretch in my opinion until you drop below US 60.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:41 AM

14 posts, read 26,505 times
I live in far Northern Kentucky, I moved here from South Carolina soooooo, Mizzo most def not a Yankee, West Virginia may get called hicks here, and Northern VA of all the things you named is close, but no where near being called a Yankee.

I worked at the Levee and this is just what I have noticed over the past few years.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:21 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dread_surfer29 View Post
I live in far Northern Kentucky, I moved here from South Carolina soooooo, Mizzo most def not a Yankee, West Virginia may get called hicks here, and Northern VA of all the things you named is close, but no where near being called a Yankee.

I worked at the Levee and this is just what I have noticed over the past few years.
Mizzo?? Does that mean Missouri, I hope?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:00 PM

869 posts, read 1,125,015 times
as a foreigner I view you all as yankees

btw when looking at a map KY looks to be more on the northern part of the US...the central part of the state is 300 miles from the great lakes and Canada, thats hardly southern.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 PM

14 posts, read 26,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Mizzo?? Does that mean Missouri, I hope?
Yes? I left out the U and meant Mizzou, have you have seen this? Quite common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky