Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:40 PM

386 posts, read 986,580 times

Advertisements

This is a random question, I thought of after reading through the threads that referred to many people moving from Ohio, Indiana, etc as Yankees in the Kentucky forum. I was wondering if yall would personally consider someone from a border state/area such as Missouri, West VA, or northern VA as a yankee in most parts of Kentucky or would you see them as fellow southerners. I ask this also because many places in these states are at a similar latitude to parts of Kentucky although they are frequently considered parts of other regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 05:41 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
This is a random question, I thought of after reading through the threads that referred to many people moving from Ohio, Indiana, etc as Yankees in the Kentucky forum. I was wondering if yall would personally consider someone from a border state/area such as Missouri, West VA, or northern VA as a yankee in most parts of Kentucky or would you see them as fellow southerners. I ask this also because many places in these states are at a similar latitude to parts of Kentucky although they are frequently considered parts of other regions.
Well I actually moved to the Louisville area from Northern VA (Alexandria) and I haven't caught any flak for being a yankee other than a harmless joke here and there. Maybe b/c I claim Southern VA as my home area (lived there from age 2-16). But I think if I didnt move to Louisville or Ft. Knox I would be considered a yankee being from NoVA.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Well I actually moved to the Louisville area from Northern VA (Alexandria) and I haven't caught any flak for being a yankee other than a harmless joke here and there. Maybe b/c I claim Southern VA as my home area (lived there from age 2-16). But I think if I didnt move to Louisville or Ft. Knox I would be considered a yankee being from NoVA.
Lol. I figured it was possible. I am from southside VA (southcentral VA) and people from Northern VA (NOVA) get called yankee down there also by some people. The people in southside VA also still do the civil war reinactments and some have paintings of General Lee on there wall and brag about how they are related to him. FFV (First families of Virginia) is also big in that area as well as Richmond.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:01 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,387 times
I don't see it being as much as an issue as it used to be. At least in Murray, KY it's not. 25 miles north in Benton...yes. It's still alive and well.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:58 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times
In a nutshell: If not in Louisville, Lexington and Northern Kentucky, then the answer is yes.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:23 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,478 times
Someone from Missouri is not a Yankee. Someone from New York is a Yankee.....

Old 06-15-2011, 07:30 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Someone from Missouri is not a Yankee. Someone from New York is a Yankee.....
As a matter of technicality, this is correct. As a matter of how they'll be viewed socio-culturally in a Southern state, some people will make no differentiation.

I mean, hell, go to South Georgia and South Alabama and tell a local you're from Kentucky. It won't matter that you're from London or I'm originally from W. Kentucky. I guarantee you someone will label us as "Yankees."

Old 06-15-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
As a matter of technicality, this is correct. As a matter of how they'll be viewed socio-culturally in a Southern state, some people will make no differentiation.

I mean, hell, go to South Georgia and South Alabama and tell a local you're from Kentucky. It won't matter that you're from London or I'm originally from W. Kentucky. I guarantee you someone will label us as "Yankees."
Thanks for the response. What about West VA? I agree with you about the second paragraph. I think many people in the deep south consider the upper south as northerners (KY, VA, sometimes even parts of NC). I get the same thing from some people in Alabama, Georgia, etc from being from southern Virginia. Those people tend to lump northern VA with southern VA.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,043 times
I've never been called a Yankee in my travels to western KY from Missouri, and believe you and me I would take a very strong offense to being called such.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:18 PM

93 posts, read 363,374 times
Gunner, lol.

I think people consider a yankee, someone from any state that actually touches a dirty northern state. Northern state being any state above the original mason dixon line. So WV, VA although having strong Appalachia/southern roots could be easily lumped with yanks, because after all VA rubs on Washington(ickkky)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky