Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 02:25 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Something tells me that deep down, some people just aren't happy no matter where they go.

I think that sums it up nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 02:31 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Something tells me that deep down, some people just aren't happy no matter where they go.
You're right! Kentucky sets the standard in America for education, employment, income levels, healthcare, and social progress...and anyone who doesn't think so is miserable. God Bless Kintucky!
But don't take my word for it, ask other Americans what they think of Kentucky.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:08 PM

I am sure you will find just as many Americans with a negative view of New York or California. Let's just be honest here, most of these continuing negative posts on the KY site are by the same posters and they are mainly due to political persuasion...not because they care about the welfare of Kentuckians. Of course, anyone that doesn't agree with them must be illiterate, stressed, depressed, fat, not physically fit and just needs to be put out of their misery...lol.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I am sure you will find just as many Americans with a negative view of New York or California. Let's just be honest here, most of these continuing negative posts on the KY site are by the same posters and they are mainly due to political persuasion...not because they care about the welfare of Kentuckians. Of course, anyone that doesn't agree with them must be illiterate, stressed, depressed, fat, not physically fit and just needs to be put out of their misery...lol.
Sure, people have negative views of many states. But I've never heard of anyone saying that New York and California are backward, hick states.
Besides the negative, those states have a lot of positives to offer; high class educational institutions and plenty of culture (more in one day there than all year in kentucky). Neither state, however, can boast of having a creation museum or a church where the congregation can bring their guns.
If you ever traveled out of kentucky for a trip (not to the South) you might be surprised by the opinions of Kentucky.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Sure, people have negative views of many states. But I've never heard of anyone saying that New York and California are backward, hick states.
Besides the negative, those states have a lot of positives to offer; high class educational institutions and plenty of culture (more in one day there than all year in kentucky). Neither state, however, can boast of having a creation museum or a church where the congregation can bring their guns.
If you ever traveled out of kentucky for a trip (not to the South) you might be surprised by the opinions of Kentucky.

So now, because I am from KY I couldn't have ever travelled outside of the south...lol. How presumptuous of you. Culture comes in many forms and can be found in some form in most places. Unfortunately, so can snobbery. You might be surprised to find out what life experiences and backgrounds some of the posters here have had.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
So now, because I am from KY I couldn't have ever travelled outside of the south...lol. How presumptuous of you. Culture comes in many forms and can be found in some form in most places. Unfortunately, so can snobbery. You might be surprised to find out what life experiences and backgrounds some of the posters here have had.
Speaking of culture in kentucky, I bet someone even has an autographed photo of Rick Pitino!
But I wouldn't doubt that some have life experiences and backgrounds. I've met about two. Otherwise, most are only interested in football, basketball, guns, and jesus..the typical Kentuckian.
And besides being stressed, Kentuckians tend to have low self-esteem which makes them hyper-sensitive, they feel awfully offended if hearing about problems* in kentucky and prefer to sweep problems under the rug.
*Kentucky ranks 49th of 50 states of people with high school diplomas.
*Kentucky leads the nation in cancer deaths.
*Coal mining areas have a higher occurence of birth defects.
But Beshear's recent political challenger wanted to make public prayer an election issue. Some priorities the Kentuckians have!

Last edited by Visvaldis; 09-10-2011 at 03:19 PM..

Old 09-10-2011, 03:20 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,296 times
Quote:
I bet someone even has an autographed photo of Rick Pitino!
Hahahahaha! Good one!

I remember when I hit Michigan in '08 for work, I was often asked if people wore shoes in my home state, from people being entirely serious. One guy I knew would even ask if they had to teach students from Appalachia how to write when I mentioned I got my degree from UK because apparently KY's main export is idiocy and mindless drivel from those who don't even want to improve their homeland's position in the world.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Speaking of culture in kentucky, I bet someone even has an autographed photo of Rick Pitino!
But I wouldn't doubt that some have life experiences and backgrounds. I've met about two. Otherwise, most are only interested in football, basketball, guns, and jesus..the typical Kentuckian.
And besides being stressed, Kentuckians tend to have low self-esteem which makes them hyper-sensitive, they feel awfully offended if hearing about problems* in kentucky and prefer to sweep problems under the rug.
*Kentucky ranks 49th of 50 states of people with high school diplomas.
*Kentucky leads the nation in cancer deaths.
*Coal mining areas have a higher occurence of birth defects.
But Beshear's recent political challenger wanted to make public prayer an election issue. Some priorities the Kentuckians have!

KY ranks 37th in education, which still needs improving but is much better than in past years. Some of the worst states are not in the south by the way.

Speaking of low self-esteem, what is wrong with someone who is not even from KY and does not live here, spending their time on the KY site just to malign the state and it's people to make themselves feel superior? I would say some introspection into yourself might reveal a little something lacking in your own life. Work on fixing yourself and your problems that cause such behavior and then you can work on others.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Hahahahaha! Good one!

I remember when I hit Michigan in '08 for work, I was often asked if people wore shoes in my home state, from people being entirely serious. One guy I knew would even ask if they had to teach students from Appalachia how to write when I mentioned I got my degree from UK because apparently KY's main export is idiocy and mindless drivel from those who don't even want to improve their homeland's position in the world.

Those sort of stereotypes are only perpetuated by people who don't represent their state in a good light when confronted with them. If you feel bad about where you came from, people won't treat you with respect.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:39 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,296 times
Quote:
Those sort of stereotypes are only perpetuated by people who don't represent their state in a good light when confronted with them. If you feel bad about where you came from, people won't treat you with respect.
I didn't come from Kentucky. I do understand why so many people feel bad about this state though.

Quote:
I would say some introspection into yourself might reveal a little something lacking in your own life. Work on fixing yourself and your problems that cause such behavior and then you can work on others.
Read: "You have imperfections so until you are perfect then you better get with it or get outta here!"

Or he can bring issues that need fixing to light and hope someone will actually do something about them.

Either/or.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky