Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:18 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,571,500 times

Advertisements

Nine Amish men were ordered to jail for not paying a fine for refusing to display an orange reflective triangle on their horse-drawn buggies, the Courier-Journal reports.

The men, who owed $158 in fines and court costs, said paying the fines would amount to complying with a Kentucky law they believe violates their religious strictures against wearing bright colors or trusting in man-made symbols for their safety, the newspaper says.

9 Amish men ordered jailed over buggy violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 11:14 PM

407 posts, read 1,263,384 times
If you are on a public road, then follow the laws of the land...........and YES that includes Amish. Freedom of religion does not mean freedom from laws. As well, if I run into your buggy because you have no reflector, then that puts my life in danger as well as yours.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:09 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beilart View Post
If you are on a public road, then follow the laws of the land...........and YES that includes Amish. Freedom of religion does not mean freedom from laws. As well, if I run into your buggy because you have no reflector, then that puts my life in danger as well as yours.

I tend to agree. There have been accidents caused by these buggies getting hit because of visibility. If they are going to drive them on the public roads, they should have respect for other drivers and their safety.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:45 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,865,188 times
How come those SMV signs are not required on bicycles operated on a public highway?

They should be, especially when the riders are wearing their black spandex pajamas and riding 2-3 wide on a busy road.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:19 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
I have lived near several Amish areas in Kentucky including the ones around Mayfield that the story is about. I have always said I've never had trouble with not seeing the buggies. When you see some big black box on wheels ahead of you, that's a good sign to slow down.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 PM

797 posts, read 2,337,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I have lived near several Amish areas in Kentucky including the ones around Mayfield that the story is about. I have always said I've never had trouble with not seeing the buggies. When you see some big black box on wheels ahead of you, that's a good sign to slow down.
It's hard to see a big black box on a dark black night...

Old 10-03-2011, 10:19 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,461 times
Hmmmm... they're willing to operate their buggies on man-made roads, but they "don't believe in" using man-made symbols to protect their safety? There's a disconnect there.

I understand the Amish fairly well, but one thing I don't understand is where they draw the line on technology usage. It seems extremely arbitrary.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:23 AM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
It's hard to see a big black box on a dark black night...
Never knew of any of them being out after dark. I live not far from Hopkinsville now and the Amish there have the SMV signs and battery powered lights on the backs of their buggies.
Ky. Sen. Ken Winters has a crew checking other states to see what kinds of compromise they have with the Amish to see if something couldn't be worked out here.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:33 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,908,768 times
they ought to work out some soap and water. apparantly hygiene is the devil.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:30 AM

797 posts, read 2,337,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Never knew of any of them being out after dark. I live not far from Hopkinsville now and the Amish there have the SMV signs and battery powered lights on the backs of their buggies.
Ky. Sen. Ken Winters has a crew checking other states to see what kinds of compromise they have with the Amish to see if something couldn't be worked out here.
Most aren't. I can't really speak for the Amish in KY I suppose, but I have seen a fair number out at night or early in the morning in southern Indiana. I passed 4 separate buggies on a morning last week right before/around sunrise on a 2 lane state highway within a 20 mile span. Of course different groups of Amish will have different practices. Some won't use an orange triangle for their protection, whereas I've seen others in hospitals and pharmacies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky