U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 14,410 times

Advertisements

I'm making plans to move to the shepherdsville ky area. There are many smaller towns around Shepherdsville and I was wondering, which town might be best based on taxes, cost of living etc. I know they are all rural, but one must be better than the others.
Will be looking to possibly buy a new home in the 125-150 thousand level.
Any comments or advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2006, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 9,926 times
I would move to Mount Washington which actually has a few more people than Shepherdsville. It's much, much nicer and you can get a very comfortable new home there in your price range. 15 minutes and you can get to major shopping and business areas of Louisville via Bardstown Road. And it's most certainly not as rural as you may think. I grew up there and have to say it's a wonderful place to live. When we first moved to the area and thought of Shepherdsville, my aunt (who lived in Shep. at the time) recommended we try Mount Washington instead. 17 years later and not one regret. Hope this helped in some way.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 15,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apsies34 View Post
I would move to Mount Washington which actually has a few more people than Shepherdsville. It's much, much nicer and you can get a very comfortable new home there in your price range. 15 minutes and you can get to major shopping and business areas of Louisville via Bardstown Road. And it's most certainly not as rural as you may think. I grew up there and have to say it's a wonderful place to live. When we first moved to the area and thought of Shepherdsville, my aunt (who lived in Shep. at the time) recommended we try Mount Washington instead. 17 years later and not one regret. Hope this helped in some way.
i would not move to bullitt county i live in mount washington now and am moving due to corruption which is everywhere and police harrassment is rampant if u drive a nice car..they tax you on everything and is very small city

Old 12-11-2006, 07:55 AM

850 posts, read 2,954,990 times
John,
I have lived in Bullitt county the majority of my life - and it is a very tight-knit community - however changing quickly.

Location depends more on what you are seeking - availability to the interstate system, peace and quiet, etc.

Mt. Washington has changed, and as another stated, the taxes are higher - however, if you have children, the school system in that end of the county cannot be beaten.

In Shepherdsville, anything east of the interstate is a good area, as is south toward the Bernheim area. Lebanon Junction is a bit further south - still within 35 to 40 minutes of Louisville, but only 20 minutes to Elizabethtown, which has all of the shopping and amenities the east end of Louisville offers. L.J. is beginning to grow, and if small town is what you like, take a look.

It truly depends on exactly what you are looking for. Many new homes, patio and single family are under construction, and the market is evenly priced in most areas - except the exclusive communities of Mt. Washington.

I have found Mt. Washington to be about the same as the rest, my only drawback is the traffic encountered attempting to reach I-65 from Hwy 44, and driving north into the city via Bardstown Road.

I can tell you a new Sherriff has been elected for the county and many changes are coming to bring our community more up to speed with Jefferson County, i.e., police, fire and ems.

The county itself, no matter where you are - is the same as any other small city, county, town - good and bad but what you put into it absolutely depends on what you get out.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Kimmieyky

Old 09-10-2007, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 12,525 times
Mt Washington is definetly close knit You may have a hard time being accepted unless you have an outstanding quality. People talk about you and their gossip runs rampant coaches are very discriminatory also be careful if you have children that want to play sport the coaches are posionous all thru the high school age

Old 09-11-2007, 05:01 AM

850 posts, read 2,954,990 times
Default Small Communities

Dear 'mother' and 'hoss',

I am so sorry you guys have only experienced such a bad side of Mt. Washington. Truth is, I have never seen a small town or close community which is immune from this sort of behaviour in some form or fashion. My children are both out of school, with the oldest married and the youngest in college, both graduated from Bullitt Central in Shepherdsville like their father, while I graduated from Bullitt East. In talking with moms from Bullitt, Jefferson and Oldham co. - the plight is much the same regardless of what school district you are in.

hoss, I have to wonder what type of experiences you have had to say police harrass you if you drive a nice car and 'mother',that coaches are 'poisenous' through the high school age. Teachers and coaches do tend to single out favorites - but unfortunately it happens everywhere you go. I have yet to speak to a mom with kids in school who have not felt slighted in some way.

As far as law enforcement is concerned, I have found it to be the opposite - citizens with 'nice' cars and those who mind the law are protected and served, and even those with reckless abandon are dealt with as fairly as they allow.

Gossip has existed since the beginning of time, and regardless of your location - if you socialize at all - church, school, work - you can be a target. It isn't fair and rarely is there any significant truth to rumors, but it is a fact of life in every community if you choose to know your neighbors.

I truly am sorry you guys have had such a bad experience. Having lived in this county since I was 11 (40 yrs young now), I have seen much change - bad and good - but am happy to at least see CHANGE, rather than a stagnant community stuck in the dark ages. My only wish is that the entire county public school system would become an even playing field, with all students taught equally without predisposed preparation for the work force vs. college/professional careers. THIS is a very disturbing phenomenon that occurs in public school systems everywhere - but I would truly like to see it disappear, especially in Bullitt county. Our kids deserve better, no matter what tax base we live in.

KimmieyKY

Old 01-06-2008, 12:42 PM

8 posts, read 29,806 times
Default MT Washington vs E-Town

I dont know what HOSS is talking about being harassed. Why would the police do that???? Im a retired policeman and I can tell you that his comment didnt make any sense. I am wondering if the Mt. Washington area is nicer than Shepardsville. I was looking in the Paducah and E-Town areas. Any reason I should pick MW over those three?>????

Old 01-06-2008, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 10,254 times
While I haven't lived there, I have spent a lot of time in Shepardsville on vacation and passing thru on many occassions. I have found it to be quite a nice community and the folks in the area exude the southern hospitality that Kentucky is known for.

I have only had 1 bad experience. I was run off the raod by an unidentified pick up truck with resulting borken windows and minor body damage. The Bullit County Sheriff went well out of his way and spent at least an hour on the phone to help me find a glass repair company to get me back on the road! The glass repairman stayed past shop hours... without extra charge... to get the job done. All in all, the good from this experience far overshadowed the bad! Accidents like this happen all the time where I'm from... and god help you if you think the police here are going to do anything for you...

I will continue to look forward to my visits to Shepardsville each and every time I'm in the area!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:03 PM

10,305 posts, read 21,856,560 times
Bullet County = trailer parks, pawn shops, and white trash

ONLY 9% OF RESIDENTS HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE!!!!!!

Old 01-08-2008, 05:12 PM

149 posts, read 713,838 times
Nah, Bullitt's the most sincere county surrounding (and confining) Louisville urban sprawl says me. Yes it's agressive at resisting growth and development - but thats a virtue!!

I shot regularly at KCR gun-range in Bullitt couple of yrs ago, became range safety officer and made pals with local law enforcement. None of em hound'n hunt anybody needlessly. Though ther was short-lived problem for awhile with non-affiliated locals arming themselves with fake badges attaching blue lights to their pickup trucks and issuing illegal "cash fines" to unwary motorists say travelers passing through in Cadillac Escalades with foreign outa state plates - hilarious when you think about it.

Also got involved with Emergency Red Cross and Bullitt Ham Radio Club when dwelling nearby at Muldraugh/Radcliff. General concensus was that we'd save Louisville from itself if massive natural disaster struck.

From what I've seen it's a strong and healthy aggressive county that doggedly sticks with consideration to old world ways from pioneer days at commonwealth level. NO gated mcmansion communities and not alot of chainstore malls either. Others will disagree but I'd rate Bullitt highly favorable as place to live and raise family, assuming you wanna leave lust and desire for massive runaway consumerist expansionism mentality behind. Excellent neighboring communities to Sheperdsville include Mt.Washington and Lebanon Junction. $125-150k home in Brooks would be gold.

Last edited by KYcoyote; 01-08-2008 at 05:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky