Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:34 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
You know, here in Argentina, they call ALL americans "Yanquis" or "yankees" regardless of where in thge US you're from LOL.

Uk Wildcat hit a homerun I think with his comment, EXCEPT for, I think Kentucky's appalchian culture is the same as central, southern and the western part of WV but NE WV up closer to Penn is a bit different IMHO. Southern Ohio? Yes, I'd say around Jackson Oh, Athens, Chillcothe, up towards Marietta OH a bit, yes. However, I still think Ky's mountain culture is more like east Tenn, SW Virginia and western NC than Pennsylvania IMHO......

Penn is more like NY and heading up towards the NE. This I know because I lived in Pennsylvania once for about 4 months, its VERY diff from eastern Kentucky in my opinion. Sure its hilly and it has coal and its somewhat impoverished, but it's still very different.

now we can close the thread right? LOL..

By the way, I had a cousin and her husband up in Indy....at a UK game? Who was Uk playing up there recently? She mentioned something about it on facebook LOL
UK just beat Kansas in a neutral floor game in Indy. They play Boston University in Rupp Arena on Friday night, I have season tickets for basketball.. Number One in the country. We have the craziest college basketball fans ever. GO BIG BLUE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 10:50 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,246,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
UK just beat Kansas in a neutral floor game in Indy. They play Boston University in Rupp Arena on Friday night, I have season tickets for basketball.. Number One in the country. We have the craziest college basketball fans ever. GO BIG BLUE.
I know, and alot of them are members of my family! Except for 1 uncle and a cousin who are UofL fans.....they of course are "the black sheep" of the whole tribe!

When they show up they make a point to wear their UofL shirts just to get everyone riled up!

Old 11-24-2014, 11:18 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,871 times
I am curious about something. Do native Cincinnatians sound like people from natives from Northern Kentucky (Covington, Newport, etc.)? Or does the accent change once you cross the river?

When I worked in Columbus, I met a lot people from south of Columbus (Chillicothe, Jackson) and they had a slight drawl.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
I am curious about something. Do native Cincinnatians sound like people from natives from Northern Kentucky (Covington, Newport, etc.)? Or does the accent change once you cross the river?

When I worked in Columbus, I met a lot people from south of Columbus (Chillicothe, Jackson) and they had a slight drawl.
Jackson OH is only 20-25 miles north of the Ohio river and Greenup KY..

Old 11-27-2014, 05:10 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post

Both

I spent a lot of time in Cincinnati a couple years ago dating someone who lived up there. I also have family I sometimes visit in NKY, actually lived there myself at a very young age. Although NKY is quite different from the rest of KY there is still an intense hatred between the Ohio and KY sides of the river. Cincinnatians in general have a hatred of all things "Southern". If you have any type of a Southern accent you will not fit in there. They still view themselves as a bastion of freedom sitting across from an eeevile slave holding state. When I visited up there I routinely got smart azz comments about me (possibly) moving up there, things like "lot of Kentuckians up here, must be a crap hole state". One time when I was around 12 we were driving up there (with a KY plate) and some Ohio person rolled down the window and asked in a mock Southern accent "have y'all kissed your cousin lately".

Ohio people are intensely annoyed that masses of "progressive yankees" are moving to backward KY. Statistically the Ohio side of the Cincy metro is almost zero growth while NKY is growing around 15% per census.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:34 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,871 times
I did hear a lot of Kentucky jokes even in Columbus. West Virginia didn't seem to be on their radar as much though.

I am from north-central West Virginia originally but have family in nearby southwest Pennsylvania as well. I know when some of my family moved to Akron to work at Goodyear, they were made fun of constantly. Yes, even the Pennsylvania relatives.

It's ironic because 1/3 of Ohio is considered Appalachia. But other than that, I actually enjoyed my time in Columbus.

But what I can gather, even people from southeastern Ohio who move to Columbus and the other large cities face problems too.

Last edited by tallydude02; 11-27-2014 at 09:45 PM..

Old 11-28-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Both

I spent a lot of time in Cincinnati a couple years ago dating someone who lived up there. I also have family I sometimes visit in NKY, actually lived there myself at a very young age. Although NKY is quite different from the rest of KY there is still an intense hatred between the Ohio and KY sides of the river. Cincinnatians in general have a hatred of all things "Southern". If you have any type of a Southern accent you will not fit in there. They still view themselves as a bastion of freedom sitting across from an eeevile slave holding state. When I visited up there I routinely got smart azz comments about me (possibly) moving up there, things like "lot of Kentuckians up here, must be a crap hole state". One time when I was around 12 we were driving up there (with a KY plate) and some Ohio person rolled down the window and asked in a mock Southern accent "have y'all kissed your cousin lately".

Ohio people are intensely annoyed that masses of "progressive yankees" are moving to backward KY. Statistically the Ohio side of the Cincy metro is almost zero growth while NKY is growing around 15% per census.
That happens sometimes when Kentuckians cross the river over into Indiana also. Maybe you should've asked them: "Well if northern Kentucky's soo bad how come northern Kentucky's been invaded and occupied by SW Ohio!?" "Must be something they like about it thatn they're crossing the river in droves trying to re-colonize northern Kentucky and turn it into Ohio!!!"

My mom when she was girl when up to Peoria Illinois to visit some family that had moved up there to work for Caterpillar, lot's of western Kentuckians went up to north illinois, Chicago and NW Indiana for work back then. Anyways, she got made fun of and asked why she was "wearing shoes?" because they told her "People in Kentucky didn't wear shoes" and they made fun of her mercilessly. Needless to say, it was the ONLY time my moms family ever took a trip outside of the state....until she married my dad LOL.

I think this has caused some Kentuckians to shun away from their rural roots and they'll get mighty defensive when anything resembling any type of stereotyping about rural Kentucky comes up. Me, I've heard it all, all my life....doesn't bother me a bit, they're just jealous!!

Old 11-28-2014, 09:46 AM

That's one reason I don't consider Southern Indiana to be part of the North. I never hear any Kentucky jokes, in fact most people in the parts of S IN I frequent consider themselves to be Kentuckians. They think the Indiana plate is a specialty plate for KY. Now get to Indy and it's a different story, a lot of hostility.

Quite frankly the anti Southern hostility is why all of mom's side didn't stay in Ohio. Some actually chose to move back to Casey Co and get half as much pay simply to not feel like an outsider. Mom's side has a long history of spending most of their prime working years in Cincinnati and then moving back home to retire. The younger generation is the first in a long time to not move out of state for work. The few that move out of state move to Nashville

Re NKY growth... that's because Ohio has ridiculous taxes and worse infrastructure. There are roads and bridges in Cincy that literally look like they're about to collapse. NKY (like most of the state) has very good infrastructure, especially roads. It's also much cleaner than OH. Property taxes average 2% of the homes value per year in OH while in NKY it's 1%. That really adds up

Old 11-28-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
That's one reason I don't consider Southern Indiana to be part of the North. I never hear any Kentucky jokes, in fact most people in the parts of S IN I frequent consider themselves to be Kentuckians. They think the Indiana plate is a specialty plate for KY. Now get to Indy and it's a different story, a lot of hostility.

Quite frankly the anti Southern hostility is why all of mom's side didn't stay in Ohio. Some actually chose to move back to Casey Co and get half as much pay simply to not feel like an outsider. Mom's side has a long history of spending most of their prime working years in Cincinnati and then moving back home to retire. The younger generation is the first in a long time to not move out of state for work. The few that move out of state move to Nashville

Re NKY growth... that's because Ohio has ridiculous taxes and worse infrastructure. There are roads and bridges in Cincy that literally look like they're about to collapse. NKY (like most of the state) has very good infrastructure, especially roads. It's also much cleaner than OH. Property taxes average 2% of the homes value per year in OH while in NKY it's 1%. That really adds up
Get over around Perry County Indiana down around Tell City, Leavenworth, English on over to Loogootee, then cross over east through Bedford Indiana, Nashville and Colmbus Indiana and down to Brownstown, Paoli, Salem....that's "back in the hills" down in that part of Indiana..

Perry and Crawford counties in Indiana are pretty much just extensions of Kentucky to be quite honest.. they have more twang talking hill people per capita than all of Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina and WV combined LOL!!

Some of the "dangdest" country people you'll ever meet in your life....LOL

Anybody who says otherwise just doesn't know southern Indiana!

Old 11-28-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Get over around Perry County Indiana down around Tell City, Leavenworth, English on over to Loogootee, then cross over east through Bedford Indiana, Nashville and Colmbus Indiana and down to Brownstown, Paoli, Salem....that's "back in the hills" down in that part of Indiana..

Perry and Crawford counties in Indiana are pretty much just extensions of Kentucky to be quite honest.. they have more twang talking hill people per capita than all of Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina and WV combined LOL!!

Some of the "dangdest" country people you'll ever meet in your life....LOL

Anybody who says otherwise just doesn't know southern Indiana!
I get the impression Evansville feels more Midwestern. I've been there a couple of times and it's been awhile. I did spend some time in Dearborn Co which is west of Cincinnati and it feels way different than the part of Indiana near Louisville or Owensboro. Much more Midwestern, a lot of anti Southern sentiment.

I spend 1/7th of my life visiting Salem / Washington Co Indiana and it's only slightly less Southern than Russell Springs KY, which is close to TN.

I'd like to go to Southern Illinois sometime, I've heard it's similar to S IN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky