Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 01:32 PM

79 posts, read 280,279 times

Advertisements

My husband and i are thinking of moving to KY and we want to know where we will fit in. we are from michigan and used to live down in TN but people absolutley hated us cause we were "yankees" we were nice and polite but it didnt do any good. i have heard northern KY is best but i want to live in a town under 50,000 people maybe really around 20,000 would be better we want to buy some land and build a house in the country but live some where we can still find work. so where is a good place/town for a yankee???>>

Wow, glad to know everyone in TN hated you. It might have helped to identify where you lived but since Tennessee is one of the fastest growing states in the country and overrun by "yankees" in the Nashville metro, it probably had something to do with your personality. 6 million people hating you can't be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 03:58 PM

7,054 posts, read 16,635,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2 View Post
My husband and i are thinking of moving to KY and we want to know where we will fit in. we are from michigan and used to live down in TN but people absolutley hated us cause we were "yankees" we were nice and polite but it didnt do any good. i have heard northern KY is best but i want to live in a town under 50,000 people maybe really around 20,000 would be better we want to buy some land and build a house in the country but live some where we can still find work. so where is a good place/town for a yankee???>>

Wow, glad to know everyone in TN hated you. It might have helped to identify where you lived but since Tennessee is one of the fastest growing states in the country and overrun by "yankees" in the Nashville metro, it probably had something to do with your personality. 6 million people hating you can't be wrong.
I think you would fit in best in La Grange, KY, a NE suburb of LOuisville. There are many transplants from the east coast, IL, and MI there. No one will call you "Yankee" there. It is a quaint town that stands on its own, yet it has many great suburban amenities while being surrounded by a beautiful countryside. Tomocox is the Oldham County expert here, so perhaps he'll chime in...

Old 09-05-2007, 01:12 PM

20 posts, read 80,697 times
We moved to La Grange from Michigan two years ago and we love it here. Many in our neighborhood are from Ohio and there's this friendly Michigan vs. Ohio State thing going on. I'm more of a Michigan State fan though (lol).

Old 09-07-2007, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 15,547 times
Its been awhile since ive looked at all the posts. Glad to see that Memphis2 is a big jerk. We lived in Cookeville TN and loved the country just not the people like yourself(memphis2), me and my husband really appreciate all the responses like i said we are both from the country and would like some small acreage to build a house on and basically homestead(live off the land) and mind our own business. We got some good info on Hopkinsville and have checked into it we actually didnt live to far from there and had went to albany ky and GLasgow which all were to big for my husband.(lol)Most every one we ran into in TN would give anyone the shirt off there back but the yankee haters well then made up for all the nice people. Again thank you all for the info unfortunately it looks like where gonna have to stay the winter here(Michigan) before we can do anything which is upsetting.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:58 PM

5 posts, read 15,547 times
Oh i forgot to ask anyone this but my husband wanted me to ask if Kentucky was more of a conservative state or Liberal,because he cant stand liberals

Old 09-12-2007, 01:22 PM

20 posts, read 80,697 times
I find it to lean conservative.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:24 PM

6,749 posts, read 21,998,865 times
though there are pockets of liberals I would also say it is more conservative.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:00 PM

156 posts, read 629,072 times
Thumbs up Go 'Cats! Brohm is going down this weekend.

Conservative all the way in these parts hun. I live in Campbell County near the nati, and if you like beautiful hills and muddy rivers, look no further. I went to school in ann arbor once upon a time, and I remember feeling a little out of place there as well... so you have to remember it goes both ways. Culture is different in different parts of the country, but as long as you're are a good person, people in KY or anywhere else will love you.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:02 PM

6,749 posts, read 21,998,865 times
Here in Louisville Old Louisville and the Highlands are known for being more liberal. I don't live in either anymore but I also don't knock anyone else who does. I am not too sure about the rest of the city though

Old 09-14-2007, 07:52 PM

79 posts, read 280,279 times
Sorry folks, didn't know how to post to this board, but I just received a private message from Wings4Marie stating that I am rude, hateful, etc. and she hopes I find Jesus. She also accused me of hating Northerners. I don't like hiding behind private messages so I will summarize my post here.

My reply to her was not an attack on Northerners, as a matter of fact my girlfriend is a native New Yorker who is a doctor at St. Jude. However, when someone posts that they they move to an area, especially in a Southern state which is known for its friendliness, and they say the entire state hates her, then I felt it was reasonable to respond.

Yes, I can see attacking TN for being too conservative, too boring, etc., but unfriendly? There is no objective evidence from the millions of transplants that have moved here to substantiate this. If you are truly "hated" by all in area, more than likely, it has something to do with your own sparkling personality rather than the all of the others around you.

She now wants to move away from Michigan for the second time (what does this say about her skills at success and fitting in?) and will obviously fail wherever she moves to, so you all were lucky when she stated she decided not to move to KY.

As far as her Christianity, if Christanity includes hating an entire group of people like her husband (hating all liberals), then I will be glad to be in a different afterlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky