Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:05 PM

730 posts, read 1,909,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings4marie View Post
My husband and i are thinking of moving to KY and we want to know where we will fit in. we are from michigan and used to live down in TN but people absolutley hated us cause we were "yankees" we were nice and polite but it didnt do any good. i have heard northern KY is best but i want to live in a town under 50,000 people maybe really around 20,000 would be better we want to buy some land and build a house in the country but live some where we can still find work. so where is a good place/town for a yankee???
When they call you a Yankee, ask them if they are referring to the "war between the States". If they are, suggest they use the correct term.

"Winner".

Then run. :^)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 12:00 PM

5 posts, read 28,391 times
Default Don't think it will be a problem

I lived in central KY for over 30 years.. my family moved there from northern Ohio, my parents are from Michigan and New York, and we never experienced any problems with locals. Where we lived it is very rural and everyone is very friendly. Even though it's "out in the middle of nowhere" there are people moving there from all over the country. I couldn't tell you how many "transplants" we knew. The thing that you will run into is that the locals will consider you as from somewhere else for a long long time. I think it took my parents like 25 years before people quit asking where are they from. The next generation on down, though is completely accepted as being "from" there.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:33 AM

201 posts, read 476,910 times
Piner... It's close to the highways and you can still get some land for a great house.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:18 AM

23 posts, read 71,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJohns View Post
If you're a Yankee, consider Northern Kentucky, Maysville is a great town little town, right on the river, so there's a ton of Northern influence, and only 45 minutes to Cincinnati!
There might be a ton of southern ohio influence. Aberdeen is one of the most destitute towns I have ever had the pleasure of acquainting myself with. Things in Ohio don't get straightened up until you reach Columbus/Cinci. And Cinci is hurting. I grew up in Chicago. Lived in Maysville 7 years. It is not all that bad. But it is not all that great. It is an hour, 60 minutes plus to Cincinnati or Lexington. And to find good service and food, entertainment, that is how far you will need to drive. Maysville is the largest population density in a 60 mile radius. Stores are overpriced, offer poor service, and limited selection. The Kroger here was the #1 profiting Kroger store in the entire US until Wally world came. Now Wally world prices here are higher than Wally world prices anywhere else... That said, I have learned how to make it work for me. Once you learn how people work out here; it is fairly simple. Be humble. Offer a helping hand. You may get help in return. It will take 2 or 3 years for people to accept you in general. You may find a few people to befriend immediately. I found the education in general to be a obstacle in making friends. But, friends are easily found. This is a very religious and cliquey location. The town operates on the good old boy network system. Extremely resistant to change. The current fear is of gambling coming in to town once the crook Fletcher is voted out and Mongiardo is voted in. Houses are overpriced in relation to build quality, but taxes are reasonable. The police force here is quality. You will need to find quality, fair priced goods on line and have them shipped. Shipping will be a challenge because the only hub is UPS. Fed ex comes out of Northern KY. Automobile service on the other hand is cheaper and plentiful. There a couple good shops to use. Tires can be hard to competitively price. But I always buy those on line anyways. Most other services are fair priced but low quality. The town may still offer potential for real estate investment, but that is sketchy for an outsider. For entertainment, we spend most of our time in the Northern Ky/Cincy region. Maysville is livable, but challenging for someone used to more options of city or even larger town life. I would recommend, Northern Kentucky, Florence and Covington or the regions near by. Maybe even Alexandria. Lexington is one of the best cities I have ever lived in. Maysville, while nice and having a few positives, has a lot of room to improve. I live here due to my job and for that reason only. But other people really like it here. So, it could be nice. Maybe good for a family to set roots. I would prefer a more educated region with nice restaurants for that though. Scenery is nice, but it is nice through out most of Kentucky. Just my thoughts. I would recommend the following places to live in Ky for a northerner, city type: 1. Covington/Florence NKY region 2. Lexington Ky - my personal fav 3. Goergtwon Ky - close to Lex Regions 3. surrounding Louisville. All bets are off on any other location as they will be similar or worse than Maysville. My Maysville experience has not been bad, but not that great either. Very limited opportunities for anything in any aspect if you were not born here and even the locals have very limited opportunities. The son only a mother could love. But there are many places much worse. There is a nice information network here. The local bbs is well done. It shows the general mindset of the locals. Not necessarily bad... [url=http://www.maysvillekybbs.com/] Maysville BBS as well as a poorly edited, factually challenged newspaper [url=http://www.maysville-online.com/]The Ledger Independent - Maysville, Kentucky Edit: This website needs to fix the text auto format layout... I had a paragraphed response here and now it looks like one run on sentence.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,987 times
Default Move to Maysville!

My husband and I also live in Michigan. We want to open a B&B when we retire, and thought the south would be nice. We happened upon a big old mansion overlooking the Ohio River in Maysville, Kentucky, and fell in love with the town. We've been working on the house for years, and still have a lot to do, but....we love the town. There are some wonderful, genuinely friendly folks there, beautiful river views, and old buildings in the downtown area. It's small, but that's what we love about it. Also...if we want to go somewhere else, we're only an hour or so away from Lexington, Cincinnati, etc. And...once a year, they have a concert in the street honoring the life of Rosemary Clooney (George's aunt), since the Clooney's are from Maysville. It's a great place!

Old 11-28-2007, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,968 times
Default C'mon Down!!!

You should have no problem whatsoever fitting into any area of Kentucky. I myself am from the Southern NJ/Philadelphia area and have been living here for nearly four years now and would not trade it for anything.

I am fortunate to have established myself as a licensed REALTOR and even more fortunate to work primarily with clients who are locating here from out of state or, out of country.

Give Kentucky a try -- you'll love it!

Old 11-29-2007, 11:34 AM

486 posts, read 1,888,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings4marie View Post
My husband and i are thinking of moving to KY and we want to know where we will fit in. we are from michigan and used to live down in TN but people absolutley hated us cause we were "yankees" we were nice and polite but it didnt do any good. i have heard northern KY is best but i want to live in a town under 50,000 people maybe really around 20,000 would be better we want to buy some land and build a house in the country but live some where we can still find work. so where is a good place/town for a yankee???
If you want a small city in southern KY, look at London/ Corbin. Both are around 50,000. Bowling Green will be a lot like Tennessee was; very country and very southern. The "triangle" (Lexington, Louisville, Cincinnati) would be your best bet. While all three cities are 500,000+ people, there are towns scattered around that I think you would like (Florence, Covington, Bardstown, Danville, Shelbyville, Cynthiana, and even Frankfort). You really won't go wrong anywhere in the bluegrass region and I've never once heard of a person who was hated because they were from the north in these parts. I'm from Lexington personally so if you need any more info on the metro Lexington area, let me know!

Old 09-01-2008, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,356 times
Default Yankee going south

Hi Wings4marie, My wife and I are moving to hopkinsville Ky. next weekend from Grand Rapids Mi. We spent a total of 48 hrs. there, to rent a home,and kinda check out the area. We managed to rent a home on a 6 mo. agreement from a very nice ederly gentlemen on the edge of town. We have no idea what we are getting into. but, We are going in with totally open minds and no expectations. other than exploring the beautiful lands nearby. We went out to eat,people were very friendly. We went to walmart, and people just started talking to us like they knew us almost. WE looked at quite a few rentals and people were asking to please move into there neighborhood so we could barbeque together! We really felt welcome and it was comfortable. WE lived in Mich all our lives! This is totally new to us but I feel we will be just fine. Eventually we will buy a home somewhere down there. but,right now,We are only tied to a 6 mo. agreeement.(totally verbal) so actually we can leave when we want. email us if you want to exchange emails or phone numbers.And we can keep you guys updated on life in Hopkinsville!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:57 PM

11,010 posts, read 17,383,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmanonthewall View Post
We are right next door to Ft.Campbell (30,000 troops not counting dependents) You can stand in any grocery in Hopkinsville and hear virtually every language on the planet being spoken. Funny thing about those soldiers, they get deployed all over the world and seem to want to bring back women and little babies to Western Kentucky. Imagine that. Nobody would notice you here if you were a Martian. We are the ultimate melting pot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevster View Post
Hi Wings4marie, My wife and I are moving to hopkinsville Ky. next weekend from Grand Rapids Mi. We spent a total of 48 hrs. there, to rent a home,and kinda check out the area. We managed to rent a home on a 6 mo. agreement from a very nice ederly gentlemen on the edge of town. We have no idea what we are getting into. but, We are going in with totally open minds and no expectations. other than exploring the beautiful lands nearby. We went out to eat,people were very friendly. We went to walmart, and people just started talking to us like they knew us almost. WE looked at quite a few rentals and people were asking to please move into there neighborhood so we could barbeque together! We really felt welcome and it was comfortable. WE lived in Mich all our lives! This is totally new to us but I feel we will be just fine. Eventually we will buy a home somewhere down there. but,right now,We are only tied to a 6 mo. agreeement.(totally verbal) so actually we can leave when we want. email us if you want to exchange emails or phone numbers.And we can keep you guys updated on life in Hopkinsville!
There are a whole lot of friendly people all over this state, but, as some people talk about other parts of the state, I'm partial to the western part of Kentucky. I've lived in this area all my life (so far!). I haven't really seen anywhere that wouldn't welcome a yankee, southerner, westerner, easterner, or from any other parts of the world! You want between 20,000 and 50,000, there's Paducah with around 25,000, Henderson, Owensboro, Madisonville, Bowling Green, Hopkinsville. Take your pic! There are several college towns, Bowling Green, Murray, Owensboro. Just about anywhere you go you'll find plenty of friendly people.

Kevster, welcome to the area. I'm just down the road in Cadiz. You'll come through Cadiz on your way to Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley and the Land Between The Lakes national Recreation Area. Stop by Cadiz on October 10, 11, and 12 for the Country Ham Festival. You'll be joining a few thousand others for some good fun and good food. (Home of the Trigg County Country Ham Festival in Cadiz, Trigg County, Kentucky. The best country hams in the world are produced here in Cadiz and Trigg County.) Make sure you get a piece of the 4000 lb. country ham biscuit!
Sorry I get carried away on here but I think this state has a lot of friendly people and a lot of things to see or do anywhere in the state! But I still have to get a plug in for the western part! lol

Old 09-03-2008, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,356 times
Default Thanks Kygman!

Kygman Thank You for the nice welcome! We will be in Cadiz in october to celebrate! Kev.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky