Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 10:42 PM

279 posts, read 1,859,550 times

Advertisements

I think it is so funny to see so many people from Ca wanting info about Kentucky. My husband and I decided (seriously) to move out of CA about a year ago. My husband works for a company called McLane. (trucking) And we have been considering transfering to Minnesota until a few days ago when we saw a commerical for Kentucky tourism. He would transfer to Nicholasville. Can anyone tell me more about it. I keep hearing of mild winters--- more details please. Since we a both life long Californians. One of the reasons we didn't take Kentucky seriously at first was greatschools.net said that in the area of Nicholasville that 98% of the kids were on free or reduced lunch. Taht kind of threw us. If tornados aren't any real concern is there anything else that is? Earthquakes? We like earthquakes though. We have 3 kids 10 8 and 5. And we would also like to have a horse, some chickens, maybe a cow. We don't need to go crazy on the acerage but at least 4 or 5 would be great. is that an option in Nicholasville or directly around it? thank you for taking your time to read and respond to me. Can't wait for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 07:01 AM

439 posts, read 721,776 times
KY has mild winters compared to areas like Chicago, Detroit or Denver-
It would be actually a wee colder then New York City- NYC being a USDA zone 7- and Nicholsville at midstate near Lexington being a borderline zone 6/7. New York Cities location on the ocean moderates the winter (less cold) and summer (less hot)- mid state KY is landlocked.

My location in central CT is actually about the same zone as central KY- I am further north but Long Island sound and the Atlantic lie to the south and east a short distance away. KY will have rather hot summers, with periods of long oppressive humidty- something Californians may not like. Snowfall while common, seldom lasts for a long period of time. At times unpleasant sleet or freezing rain will make driving tricky in the winter. Temps may drop to zero 1 or 2 nights a year, while 90 degree days average about 25 days a year. Snowfall 15-20 "a year, Elevation 970 feet. The climate can be called 'temperate' but has a 'continental' character, with abrupt changes in temperature, wind and precip. July and August are considered the most uncomfortable parts of the year. About 100 nights a winter drop to freezing or below. Sunny days 90 Cloudy days 174

I being near the ocean as is NYC will see more precip in the winter due to Nor easters.

For other info on this area of KY leave to the local experts-I am the 'climate person'

Peter

Last edited by Dragondog; 09-12-2006 at 07:17 AM..

Old 09-12-2006, 01:17 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
Default Interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingoutofCA View Post
I think it is so funny to see so many people from Ca wanting info about Kentucky. My husband and I decided (seriously) to move out of CA about a year ago. My husband works for a company called McLane. (trucking) And we have been considering transfering to Minnesota until a few days ago when we saw a commerical for Kentucky tourism. He would transfer to Nicholasville. Can anyone tell me more about it. I keep hearing of mild winters--- more details please. Since we a both life long Californians. One of the reasons we didn't take Kentucky seriously at first was greatschools.net said that in the area of Nicholasville that 98% of the kids were on free or reduced lunch. Taht kind of threw us. If tornados aren't any real concern is there anything else that is? Earthquakes? We like earthquakes though. We have 3 kids 10 8 and 5. And we would also like to have a horse, some chickens, maybe a cow. We don't need to go crazy on the acerage but at least 4 or 5 would be great. is that an option in Nicholasville or directly around it? thank you for taking your time to read and respond to me. Can't wait for your input.
You like earthquakes? I grew up in California and I've lived through MANY earthquakes, the biggest being the Loma Prieta Earthquake in the SF Bay area back on Oct. 17th, of 1989. I was at work in San Francisco at Stonestown Galleria after school at SFSU and that earthquake scared the &^%$#& out of me. It tore that mall apart too with me in it. I think you're nuts! And yes, Kentucky can get earthquakes, especially down in the southwest corner where it touches the Mississippi River and Tennessee. That's the New Madrid quake zone, the area that had what is believed to be the two largest quakes ever experienced in North America in 1812. The quakes were so severe that the Mississippi River (think of the size of the Mississippi river for a minute...) was thrown out of it's banks and the current was pushed NORTHWARD. Whole areas of land sank while others lurched up with sand geysering out of the ground in plumes and churchbells rang from the shaking as far as Boston and Chicago. If that were to happen again, goodbye to Memphis and St. Louis and much of western Kentucky. Other than that, from what I've heard, it's pretty there

Old 09-12-2006, 07:36 PM

279 posts, read 1,859,550 times
I didn't mean that we enjoy earthquakes and the damage they cause. Sometimes tone of voice does not translate into writing. We have always had earthquakes and they are not something we even think about. We aren't scared of them is what I am trying to say. I should have used one of those little faces, like everyone else does.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,908 times
Talking ky info

Acreage is plentiful in KY and earthquakes are few and mild. In fact u may miss it if u r not not looking for it. They happen, but the last one I remember was 30 years ago.We get a good snow(1ft) approximately every 3 to five years and a bigger snow about every 10 to 15 years. Keep in mind that I mean one snow, not snow throughout the season. We get SOME tornadoes, but even those a few and far between with usually less damage than other places. We are a goooood place for horses, that is what we are known for. As far as the free lunches in school, please keep in mind that they do not verify income and anyone can apply. Also keep in mind, that there are a number of aliens here to work for cash taxfree money without proof of citizenship in the horse industry that mostly recieve free lunch,medicaid, foodstamp, etc. Nichlasville is small and therefore has a small population with much unreported. Lexington is next to it and many commute to work to Lexington.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:05 AM

480 posts, read 1,917,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingoutofCA View Post
I think it is so funny to see so many people from Ca wanting info about Kentucky. .
I am utterly amazed at the number of Californians looking to leave Cali!!

"Mild" winters is a matter of perspective. From a California perspective it will be COLD unless you're from up in Truckee or something. But that's mild compared to Michigan, inland New England, etc.

Last edited by Marka; 10-05-2006 at 01:11 PM..

Old 11-05-2006, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,612 times
Default we cant afford ca any more

My family and I are looking to move to Kentucky, we cant afford to live here any more. We like many people live pay check to pay check which we have learned to deal with. But in the area we live houses 3-4 years ago were going for 160,000 or so are now in the 380,000. Thats insain! We also want the 4 seasons and a nice friendly place to rise our children. We are looking into the mercy county can any one please help us. I havent been able to find much or on the crime and schools and all... Would like any help if possiable. Thanks for any help any one may be able to help us with....

Old 11-06-2006, 02:21 AM

6 posts, read 26,979 times
Default My own experience...

In 1999 we moved to Shelby County, KY from northern Ohio. We have 2 daughters who are now 17 and 13. The schools are absolutely wonderful here, and I think it is partly because of tremendous community support. Many parents are very active in the schools, and there are well-attended activities at every school here, every night of the week.

The climate? long hot summers, rainy fall weather, very little snow in the winter, but an occasional ice storm. Spring is lovely here, balmy and blooming - lots of native bloom amongst the cedars.

Housing is cheap compared to almost anywhere else in the US, and the job market is still good.

People here are very friendly. But most of the native Kentuckians are very church-going people, and if you are not a church person it may take you a while to meet people and make friends. I'm not a church person, and it wasn't until I began doing a lot of volunteering at the school that I began to make friends. None of my friends are native Kentuckians - we are all transplants.

If you're in rural Kentucky, most of your neighbors will be social conservatives. This was a Bush state in '04. Lexington, however, is a very liberal city, and a beautiful city, too - extremely clean and safe.

We love it here now, but it was quite an adjustment at first.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:00 AM

7 posts, read 82,878 times
We're in Daviess County, KY. We moved here 9 years ago and my son was in 4th grade and in a private school in Louisiana. I was very apprehensive about putting him in public school here but I could not have been happier with the county school system here. Crime is low, traffic is never a problem, winters are mild, summers are hot and humid. I think this is not a bad place to live at all . . if we just had crawfish I'd be really happy!

Quilter

Old 06-10-2007, 05:57 AM

6 posts, read 14,828 times
hello quilter...not sure where this part of KY is but we just moved here. hubby from LA also and we did find lots of crawfish, boiled, spicy and yummy in Nashville. Are you close to there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky