Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:04 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacdo View Post
Well, I guess I'm qualified to chime in here since I actually moved from south Florida to western KY. I've been living north of Murray for about 3 weeks now. Like you, we were sick to death of the nasty attitudes of the people in south FL, all the traffic and crime and so on. Take comfort, your perspective has probably been warped by the experience of living down there for too long. There are many places in rural American that can serve as an antidote to everything you loathe about that place. In my opinion, leaving there was truly like being reborn. Florida has some beautiful spots but the people have almost become intolerable, too many rats in the cage....my opinion only.

Your stated housing price range can get you into what would be considered somewhat upscale around here. We keep horses and like country living so we bought 25 acres with a stone house, two barns, a pond and are actually on Kentucky Lake via TVA land for considerably under $300k. You could get something similar further from the lakes for much less. If you want say 5 acres with a fairly nice house, that could happen for well under $200k here.

As to E. TN, well that's mountain country as opposed to the rolling farm county around here. Like somebody else pointed out, apples and oranges. Mountain people and agrarian people tend to be really different. It's up to your personal tastes. Same thing with the topography. Climate would be pretty similar. It might take a visit to each place.

The people around the Murray / Benton area are among the friendliest I've ever been around and I've lived in many parts of the U.S. and have travelled throughout all 50 states. It's amazing how helpful and nice they are. The down side here is that there are a lot of ticks and chiggers and also poison ivy. If you're big into hiking and being outdoors, it can be a problem. My wife and I are having a lot of trouble with this right now. You need to use a lot of insect spray and wear long pants, etc. if you want to be out walking around in grass or woodsy areas. The ticks are so bad that hunters here sometimes wear panty hose under their trousers. Just a heads up. If it's town living you're talking about, this stuff is not a big issue. The lakes are great for boating which is what a lot of people do. Very nice people here and fairly low cost of living. Climate is mild. Traffic is pretty light. Ticks and chiggers are awful, at least in the summer. Let me know if you want any specific info. Between the two places, I'd opt for W KY but that's just me.
To funny, I know the exact house you are talking about. We looked it it early last year and the 2 across the road that were or still are for sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 12:06 AM

820 posts, read 2,867,895 times
I agree with the others that much depends on your taste. While I live in Central KY, if I had to choose between E TN and W KY, I'd pick E TN. However, I'd pick E TN over many places as I think it's one of the most beautiful areas of the country. The weather will be similar, but you face the possibility of more actual snow in the winter in W KY than E TN.... but certainly not horrible weather conditions in the winter. Fall in E TN is amazing!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,320 times
Default Just bought house in Fulton, from Oregon

My husband & I just visited our newly purchased home in Fulton Kentucky in August. We can't wait to come back. I've lived in Oregon all my life (45yrs) & my husband who was born & raised in Akron OH, has lived in Oregon since getting out of the Navy 36 years ago, he's 58. It is pretty here, but it has become so expensive to live. It was the best decision I've ever made when I decided we couldn't afford for me to quit working when my husband retires (in 4 yrs) & stay here in Oregon. I then looked on the internet for another option. Southwest Kentucky became my target when I started looking for low cost real estate.
Our median house price in Springfield/Eugene Oregon is $240,000 city-data.com shows Fulton's median house price as $62,000 (2005). We just purchased a beautifully updated late victorian era home 2550 sq ft, 4bd 2ba home on a large .28 acre lot with 2 car garage for $39,900!! It has a beautiful curved wrap around porch on both lower & upper levels with columns, 10ft ceilings & beautiful hardwood floors. I live now in a 900 sq ft 2bd 1ba home no garage, small lot that would sell in our area for $160,000 today. People are so friendly in Kentucky. We had people loaning us tools (we met them at the hardware store!), telling us, "here's my address, just drop them off when you are finished." Now that is real christian hospitality.
I know that jobs are scarce in Fulton for those that aren't retired, but with Mayfield (22miles), Paducah (40miles), Union TN (12miles) there are many cities, schools, hospitals & larger companies where you could commute to & most importantly with literally no traffic! I live in a city that the streets & highways were never designed to handle the traffic we have & we find ourselves sitting on the highway stopped!

We have to wait 4 years to move to Fulton, but if you can make the move now you will find beautiful maintained homes & lawns, friendly people, lower cost of living, slower paced, golf, fishing, boating, camping & antiquing.

We are part-time antiques dealers here in Oregon & can't wait to get to Kentucky for that!!

Old 11-04-2007, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,844 times
Default Antiques

My father is an antique dealer in South Fulton, TN which is just across the state line from Fulton. His name is Ronnie. His business name is Antiques and Stuff. If you need him for antique shows or help in finding flea markets and trade days, his number is 731-479-9454. By the way, which house did you buy? I lived in Fulton for 20 years growing up and now live in Bowling Green, KY. I would know where just about anything is.

JN

Old 11-05-2007, 11:12 AM

389 posts, read 1,656,346 times
Its apples and oranges and sometimes peas it depends,I myself live in central KY. and I like both sides of the state.been to owensboro once and liked the area.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 5,320 times
Default Fulton Kentucky

Our Home is @ 219 Fourth St, Fulton. Thanks for all of the information regarding your Fathers Antiques business, Jerrodnelms. I am sure we will be in contact. I don't remember seeing a shop, does he only do shows. Ebay?
Wish we were in Kentucky now. Looking for a "good" renter right now who will take care of our house. This seems a little more difficult than we thought. We have a property manager working on it. We love the fact that we live 4 blocks from Tennessee. It's such a nice area. We will visit Bowling Green the next time we are there.
lockehaven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky