Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 11,005 times

Advertisements

Okay first off don't hate on the name. I am from CT but spent many years around Knoxville,tn. Now I don't want to go through all the silly ness I went through In East TN.

I have a family of four. A old lady a step son who is half Spanish going on 12 and a bunny. My job is out here in CT but lay offs pretty much every year. However the main office is in Wurtland,ky and they don't have layoffs. So thought about relocating there. Or around Ashland area.

One of my oldest best friends might come live with us he is a older black guy from tn.

Now I am curious if will have to go through the same hatred stuff for being a yankee in KY I did in Tn. An example two people be talking in a store all happy. After there convo I say hi to that person and automatically whole tone changed. And was treated like don't want your kind here. Normally it did not happen in Knoxville such as it did in Oakridge and Maryville.

I am not the typical Northerner with a mean attitude and acting like stuff don't stink. Very drama free and treat all equal. I show respect when given respect and don't intrude in others conversations.

Now my concern is though he don't speak Spanish and don't have that huge difference skin tone. How my son would be treated out there. And how my best friend would though he is not ghetto at all sides typical loud bass in car. I do remember traveling back from KY. Dropping a friend off right over ky line from Tn. And when went in store did not have that hateful attitude. Also remember traveling to go see my family in Ct.

In Virginia never was treated with that silly ness either. However I also know tourist cities are more open to Diversity then little towns. But since that general area of KY is full of little towns and really dont want to go through a re run that i faced in TN.

But honestly there is lack of work out here in CT. And cost of living is way lower there. Also how bad are allergies out there.

And if KY is not the answer where down south would be. My old Lady refuses to live in Carolinas for what reason never know.

Thank you Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 06:10 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefromct View Post
Okay first off don't hate on the name. I am from CT but spent many years around Knoxville,tn. Now I don't want to go through all the silly ness I went through In East TN.

Just don't emphasize the yankee from Connecticut part. It's not like people in Kentucky care, for the very most part, that you're a yankee or from Connecticut. Don't excuse yourself for who you are or where you're from. Just come, pay taxes, be civil, being friendly most certainly helps, and keep an open mind.

I have a family of four. A old lady a step son who is half Spanish going on 12 and a bunny. My job is out here in CT but lay offs pretty much every year. However the main office is in Wurtland,ky and they don't have layoffs. So thought about relocating there. Or around Ashland area.

If you are going to relocate to the Ashland-Huntington area, you're looking at a pretty good area. My recommendation? Live in Russell; you'll have some of the best public schools in the entire state. This is an anomaly in a practically entire region of the state that has some of the crappiest schools in a state that already has mostly crappy schools.

One of my oldest best friends might come live with us he is a older black guy from tn.

Quite honestly, I don't think most people would have a problem. That said, Huntington, WV is home to a pretty large university, Marshall, and is probably a little more tolerant overall of bi-racial friendships and relationships than Ashland.

Now I am curious if will have to go through the same hatred stuff for being a yankee in KY I did in Tn. An example two people be talking in a store all happy. After there convo I say hi to that person and automatically whole tone changed. And was treated like don't want your kind here. Normally it did not happen in Knoxville such as it did in Oakridge and Maryville.

Oak Ridge? Maryville? I'm not surprised. Quite honestly, Tennessee is not the friendliest of the Southern states. I'd rather fork over the high COL and live in the Inland Empire or Central Coast than live in Tennessee or, for that matter, Kentucky. (I live in California, if you couldn't tell).

I am not the typical Northerner with a mean attitude and acting like stuff don't stink. Very drama free and treat all equal. I show respect when given respect and don't intrude in others conversations.

Good!

Now my concern is though he don't speak Spanish and don't have that huge difference skin tone. How my son would be treated out there. And how my best friend would though he is not ghetto at all sides typical loud bass in car. I do remember traveling back from KY. Dropping a friend off right over ky line from Tn. And when went in store did not have that hateful attitude. Also remember traveling to go see my family in Ct.

People in Eastern Kentucky barely speak cogent, understandable English. Why would they even understand Spanish?

Okay, okay, that's a joke for those posters that have no sense of humor.

In Virginia never was treated with that silly ness either. However I also know tourist cities are more open to Diversity then little towns. But since that general area of KY is full of little towns and really dont want to go through a re run that i faced in TN.

But honestly there is lack of work out here in CT. And cost of living is way lower there. Also how bad are allergies out there.

Unless you can transfer w/ your company to Kentucky and land a permanent position, I think you'll find Kentucky, as well as immediately adjacent West Virginia and Ohio, to have lacking job markets. Eastern Kentucky is usually terrible even during good economic times.

COL and taxes are lower, yes.

Allergies: Louisville and Lexington have each, at some point, been ranked as the worst U.S. cities for allergies. This PITA rule really pertains to all of Kentucky.

And if KY is not the answer where down south would be. My old Lady refuses to live in Carolinas for what reason never know.

For "open mindedness" and larger groups of Northeastern transplants who have moved for the same reasons you're looking to, I'd consider Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Atlanta, and Greenville-Spartanburg. All of these areas are struggling economically. The only regions with noticeably improved economies are Orange County (CA), SF Bay Area (CA), Seattle-Tacoma, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, Washington (DC), and Boston.

Quite honestly, if I were from the NE, unless I had a compelling reason to explore and move to Kentucky, I'd skip over it.

Thank you Ray
Answers above in bold.

I miss family, Southern hospitality and the easier-going way of life in Kentucky. Otherwise, I wouldn't move back permanently unless it was for a compelling family, financial, or job-that's-too-good-to-pass-up reason. At least as a young man; I can maybe see myself back there when I'm older. It sure is beautiful in many areas, though.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:01 PM

Ty. That is the plan to transfer my job to there. I have to do more research and find out if postitions are available there.

Believe it or not I live near the Boston post Road and until my job called me back. There was nothing as far as jobs including warehouse and fast food. You would think with over 500 stores something be hiring. But like the rest of the state far and few in between are.

I thought about moving out To Jacksonville or surrounding counties as well. Because Jags fan. But family place to settle down is more important then my die hard love for a football team.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:24 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
I have never lived in the Ashland area, but right now I live in the Lexington area, and it seems pretty diverse to me. (I use to live in Connecticut at one time my self years ago as a child) Lexington has a large Hispanic population,
many who are new to the area and speak little English, my son grew up here
and has had friends of all races, nationalities and denominations -Lexington is still a college town at heart though, and it is a pretty well educated city
(over half hold at least a Bach. degree)so that might make it more diverse and open. I have had neighbors and friends from New Jersey and New York,
and they never complained about people not liking them because of being yankees (Though My husband from Baltimore, dislikes Yankees -well the baseball kind of Yankeeslol)
But he is an Orioles fan, so what else can you expect?

Old 02-19-2012, 10:01 AM

Believe it or not I actually prefer the small towns. I enjoy the long drives and open roads. Just not looking for trouble or cause it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky