Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 02:03 PM

4 posts, read 14,322 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I have thoroughly enjoyed all the posts I've read the past week and learned SO much about the Inner Bluegrass area! I am trying to do some research for a possible move to either Danville or Berea. My husband is under salary negotiations now, and we're trying to get a better idea of what life may cost in these towns.

Could you all tell me what to expect to pay, more or less, for the typical expenses for a family of 3? The basic comforts, let's say. Middle class. To be more specific, we are hoping to find a house with 3-4 bedrooms, 2-story, clean and spacious. I've not had luck on finding rentals online in these 2 towns, just homes for sale. Any hints? We may end up buying after a while, but will have to start out renting first.
What would we pay for things like utilities? Phone service? Is there wireless high-speed internet? Gas costs? (He'd be working in Danville, but I am also looking at Berea to live.) Electric bills?

The reason I have no clue about this is that I have been living and working overseas myself the past 10 years, so I know the cost of living has changed lots since I have been out of the US. Any ideas, and a breakdown of typical life costs would be so greatly appreciated! By the way, I am SOOO excited about possibly moving there! If we can negotiate a decent salary, then we'll pack up soon.

Oh, and Thanks for giving me a great first impression of Kentucky and this area online. Just reading the posts calmed many of my fears. We appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 08:53 AM

329 posts, read 1,099,517 times
3 bdrm rentals in the Berea area run generally in the area of between $550 and $650 a month... with some lower and some higher. In Danville it'll run you maybe between $500 to $600 with some lower and some higher.

Electricity around that area usually runs $50 to $100 or so depending on how old the house is. (Gas in the winter months can be a killer, if it's gas heat you may look at about $200 to $300 a month for about 3 months of the year (January thru March, although most people just get on the "budget" plan and you pay about $60 monthly. (These are only MY guesstimates, so if anyone out there disagrees, please post what you think too!)

You will find that Berea and Danville have very low cost of living compared to just about anywhere else in the U.S. and also way cheaper cost of living than even Lexington (and especially Louisville!).

Good luck with your move, and welcome to Kentucky!!!!

P.S. You might also think about living in Lancaster (if his job is in Danville) that's only about a 15-20 minute drive and sits between Danville and Richmond, so the commute time would be way less than Berea and it'll give you more rentals to look at if you are looking at all three areas instead of just two.

I believe the Berea newspaper only comes out once a week and I don't believe it's online. There are however usually rentals in it. Occasionally they'll advertise rentals in the Berea area in the Richmond Register, so you might check that newspaper online and see if any say Berea rental or Lancaster Road, etc.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 6,417 times
We have a 2 bedroom duplex in Danville which rents for 425/mo. So I think $600-$800 a month rent will get you a nice place. Each city has its own distinct character. Berea is artsy/craftsy, a lot of hippie types (and I really mean that in a nice way). Berea College has a major impact on the town. They have nice recreation areas. Danville is more progressive and has had been influenced by people who have moved from the Northeastern part of the country. Really nice towns depending what you want. Lancaster is really sleepy and quiet. It is not a pleasant drive from Berea to Danville. Very windy roads.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:28 PM

190 posts, read 812,240 times
I agree with both posts-see Highliner, I'm easy to please!

Berea has municiple electric, Delta Natural Gas, which are both VERY affordable compared to some of the RECC's around. Water, garbage and sewer are all on one bill with the electric. It really saves time and energy when having to mail out loads of bills.

My sister lives in the "heart" of Berea, as do to of my neices and several friends. Her electric bill has been running appox. $90 a month for the last few months. Her house is 2 story, with a full basement, central air, but gas cooking and heat. Her gas bill runs about $35. She said her water, sewer, etc averages about $35 a month as well.

Most people shop either Wal Mart or Save A Lot for groceries, or go to Richmond for Krogers, EW James, etc. There are several smaller stores for clothing, etc. There's also several restaurants as well. Antique shops are everywhere. The railroad depot is actually the visitor center, and is definitely worth a visit.

I would suggest the Berea area to live, especially with kids. The school systems are wonderful, as is the college. The town is "dry" (no alcohol sales) and kind of laid back. This is located just a few miles from Richmond, and a hop-skip-and jump to Lexington.

I actually love this little town. As I've said in earlier posts, it's one of the few towns I feel comfortable walking at night. If you are searching for a quite, peaceful, beautiful little town, this is it!

Oh, yeah, this weekend is our Spoonbread Festival, so everyone come on down, and eat your fill!

Welcome home!

~joanna~

Old 09-08-2007, 03:34 AM

4 posts, read 14,322 times
Question Great info! Now for 3 more ?s please

Thanks so much for all the great info you gathered and shared, kichenwich, JoBeth and desiree! We've read over everything carefully and are mapping out the areas we'll take a look at on our scouting mission in November.

Just a few more questions if you don't mind:

1. Is there high-speed internet in Berea and Danville? If so, what is the typical cost (or a company I can refer to)?

2. What about the nearest (and better) hospitals near there? Specifically, pediatrics and emergency room care. We have a 9-mo old son with a severe food allergy and want to make sure we are close to a good hospital, just in case.

3. Are there any websites for rental properties in these areas? I have only been able to find homes for sale. Or, would we have to just call real estate agencies and the newspaper ads to look at a host of houses when we come in November?

Thanks again for your kind assistance!! Hope everyone there is as gracious as you all have been!

~Ciao from Italy!~

Old 09-10-2007, 01:50 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,517 times
Berea, Richmond and Danville all have decent hospitals. If you need specialty services you are very close to UK, Central Baptist, or St. Josephs in Lexington as well.

Rentals are tough to find unless you see them in the paper, or are actually in the area and see many houses with a "For Rent" sign in the window... not sure who you can check with other than that, for rentals.

P.S. 95% of all Kentuckians are very kind and helpful too!

Oh... There is high speed internet in Berea AND Danville both. You get cable modem through the Cable Companies... I believe it's Time Warner, or Insight (Danville), although it may be something else... not sure now.... it's been too long.

Good luck on your move and welcome to Kentucky!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky