Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:32 AM

458 posts, read 2,289,655 times

Advertisements

So we are moving to Lexington (or nearby) in December and plan to plant our family there indefinitely. We are looking forward to all the wonderful new places we have to explore on day trips and for family vacations.

What do you recommend? We love camping and swimming, museums and history, nature and science, theater and the arts.

I know that the aquarium in Cincinnati is supposed to be amazing. I know there is much in Louisville that we didn't see on our short visit there. I want to check out Boonesborough and the Shaker Village. Everyone says Mammoth Cave is unbelievable. I know there is great stuff right in Lexington, too, that we never got around to seeing.

Give me some things to daydream about until we move!

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 08:57 AM

21 posts, read 106,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
So we are moving to Lexington (or nearby) in December and plan to plant our family there indefinitely. We are looking forward to all the wonderful new places we have to explore on day trips and for family vacations.

What do you recommend? We love camping and swimming, museums and history, nature and science, theater and the arts.

I know that the aquarium in Cincinnati is supposed to be amazing. I know there is much in Louisville that we didn't see on our short visit there. I want to check out Boonesborough and the Shaker Village. Everyone says Mammoth Cave is unbelievable. I know there is great stuff right in Lexington, too, that we never got around to seeing.

Give me some things to daydream about until we move!

Thanks,

Yes Mammoth Cave is great. I have been there. Also there is Kentucky Kingdom....There is The Breaks Interstate Park. That would be for camping, fishing, white water wrafting...Things of that nature..I hope this helps you.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2978 View Post
Yes Mammoth Cave is great. I have been there. Also there is Kentucky Kingdom....There is The Breaks Interstate Park. That would be for camping, fishing, white water wrafting...Things of that nature..I hope this helps you.
Breaks Interstate Park looks really nice. I can't figure out how far it is from Lexington though...any ideas?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:38 AM

21 posts, read 106,221 times
Quote:
Breaks Interstate Park looks really nice. I can't figure out how far it is from Lexington though...any ideas?

Ugh it is about 3 hours, depending on the traffic. I can be in Lexington in about 2 hours and the Breaks is about 45 minutes from me. Not to bad and they have very nice swimming holes and camp grounds and they also have nice cabins and a great little hotel...You have to have reservations though..

Old 09-17-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2978 View Post
Ugh it is about 3 hours, depending on the traffic. I can be in Lexington in about 2 hours and the Breaks is about 45 minutes from me. Not to bad and they have very nice swimming holes and camp grounds and they also have nice cabins and a great little hotel...You have to have reservations though..
Thanks!! I like camping, but I also like the idea of cabins!

Old 09-21-2007, 02:42 PM

688 posts, read 3,037,894 times
Red River Gorge - east of Lexington - is nice. A lot of hiking, hills and valleys, natural rock formations, etc. Lots of rustic, backtrail camping, and also more developed campgrounds and some cabins. There is also a state park (Natural Bridge) that has a lodge, some cabins, paddleboat and canoe rentals, and even a skylift up to the most popular rock bridge.

The Red River Gorge Geological Area
Kentucky: Department of Parks - Home

Old 09-21-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Red River Gorge - east of Lexington - is nice. A lot of hiking, hills and valleys, natural rock formations, etc. Lots of rustic, backtrail camping, and also more developed campgrounds and some cabins. There is also a state park (Natural Bridge) that has a lodge, some cabins, paddleboat and canoe rentals, and even a skylift up to the most popular rock bridge.

The Red River Gorge Geological Area
Kentucky: Department of Parks - Home
I have heard that it's beautiful. The only negative that I've heard is that it can be dangerous, and this was a comment from an outdoorsy friend

Old 09-21-2007, 04:58 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
Quote:
I have heard that it's beautiful. The only negative that I've heard is that it can be dangerous, and this was a comment from an outdoorsy friend
It is very dangerous to drunk college students and rednecks who think rock climbing or night hikes are a good idea. There are lots of cliffs, but if you use common sense, you'll be fine. The Gorge is a beautiful place and Natural Bridge State Park is right next door. I would stick to camping though in the designated areas with your kids because there is a chance there will be some partiers nearby in the backcountry areas unless you get well off the road (too far to carry a cooler). That isn't to say there won't be any in the campgrounds, but at least it is a little more controlled.

Cumberland Falls is another great camping/hiking location. The Kentucky state park system is really good. Pretty much all of the manmade lakes have a lodge, camping, hiking, horseback riding, golf course, not to mention the water activities. Lake Cumberland and Dale Hollow are really nice. I've heard Cave Run is as well, but I haven't been there. Land Between the Lakes is really neat, but a little bit of a hike from Lexington.

Bardstown is a really nice older town with a historic downtown, Maker's Mark distillery is nearby and provides nice tours, My Old Kentucky Home is there also.

Depending on the age of your kids, rafting the New River Gorge in WV is a really fun long weekend trip. There is lots of camping and hiking to be had in that area as well, it is really beautiful. The Smokies are also not too far away for family vacations or long weekends.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
It is very dangerous to drunk college students and rednecks who think rock climbing or night hikes are a good idea. There are lots of cliffs, but if you use common sense, you'll be fine. The Gorge is a beautiful place and Natural Bridge State Park is right next door. I would stick to camping though in the designated areas with your kids because there is a chance there will be some partiers nearby in the backcountry areas unless you get well off the road (too far to carry a cooler). That isn't to say there won't be any in the campgrounds, but at least it is a little more controlled.

Cumberland Falls is another great camping/hiking location. The Kentucky state park system is really good. Pretty much all of the manmade lakes have a lodge, camping, hiking, horseback riding, golf course, not to mention the water activities. Lake Cumberland and Dale Hollow are really nice. I've heard Cave Run is as well, but I haven't been there. Land Between the Lakes is really neat, but a little bit of a hike from Lexington.

Bardstown is a really nice older town with a historic downtown, Maker's Mark distillery is nearby and provides nice tours, My Old Kentucky Home is there also.

Depending on the age of your kids, rafting the New River Gorge in WV is a really fun long weekend trip. There is lots of camping and hiking to be had in that area as well, it is really beautiful. The Smokies are also not too far away for family vacations or long weekends.
Thanks, thanks, thanks! Great tips. I haven't really heard much about Bardstown and definitely want to check that out. Also, I am looking forward to many new camping experiences.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:11 AM

688 posts, read 3,037,894 times
Default In and around Lexington

Quote:
Well, it CAN be dangerous because parts of it are so wild and rugged. There are lots of cliffs, drop-offs, etc. But, an average family who uses normal caution shouldn't have any trouble. Like the other poster said, the biggest danger is from people who pitch a tent next to the cliff's edge and then proceed to drink a case of beer. The state park area is very family-friendly, with several easy trails that include barriers/rails. You can walk over the rock bridge, and that does require supervision because of the drop-offs along both sides, but it is fairly wide and flat. It does amaze me, though, to see the families that let their young children run wild along it, just like the familes that let their children wade in the rapids of the Niagara River just 500 ft from the falls.

A popular weekend trip is to go to the Smoky Mtn area of TN. It is only few hours from Lexington, and once there you have the choice of the kitschy towns like Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, family attractions like an aquarium and Dollywood, and also the gorgeous national park and some rustic camping and cabin areas.

Ky does have some gorgeous scenery and outdoors activities, but if you're looking for other options :
- King's Island (Cincinnati) and Six Flags (Louisville) are big theme parks in the area, with the standard roller coasters, features, etc. I prefer King's Island, but both are easy trips.
- Louisville and Cincinnati both have nice zoos
- Lexington has a children's museum and a professional children's theater
- Louisville and Cincinnati also offer a variety of museums and attractions, including the aquarium you mentioned (which I highly recommend!)
- Lexington offers a big following of college football and basketball, as well as a pro baseball club (the Legends), and major baseball and NFL games are available in Cincinnati. I recommend the Legends for a night of classic baseball family fun, without the high prices of bigger stadiums.
- Keeneland is a must-visit during their spring and fall meets. From the gorgeous scenery to the excitement of the races, it is a classic Lexington icon.
- The Horse Park near Lexington offers a great chance to experience the whole horse-y environment of Central KY, with plenty of time with real horses! There are also several horseback riding places near Lexington, including Whispering Woods in Georgetown.
- Several of the lakes in KY (like Cumberland) offer weekend houseboat rentals, which are fun to just kick back and hang out on the water. Some of the lakes can get very busy, but at other times you can almost always find a secluded cove or inlet.
-lots of small towns around Lexington (Midway, Berea, etc) offer quaint shopping, cafes, etc in historic areas. Berea in particular is highly regarded for their beautiful folk arts and crafts and their unique college.
- Frankfort also has some nice historic areas, including a privately owned Frank Lloyd Wright home and the state capitol bldg, and is a nice easy drive from Lexington.
- If you're into wine or bourbon, there are quite a few places to tour and do tastings around Lexington, from the historic and beautiful Woodford Reserve bourbon to Talon and Equus Run Vineyards (and many more!)
- During Derby time, Louisville offers a variety of big events from parades and hot air balloon races to the famous "Thunder over Louisville" fireworks display that bring people in from all over the country
- If you're mechanically inclined, Toyota offers a free visitor tour that lets you ride inside the plant and witness the production of its famous Camry. It's actually pretty impressive if you haven't been into an assembly plant before.
- In addition to cabins, camping, motels, and resorts, KY also offers a variety of Bed and Breakfast inns that offer working farm experiences, relaxing among horse farms, and upscale pampering.

Whew! And don't forget, cities like Indianapolis, Columbus, and Nashville are only a few hours away. Just a little further and you can be in Chicago, Cleveland, etc. In case you haven't checked it out, don't forget to go to Lexington, Kentucky Convention and Visitors Bureau for more info. Hope your family gets to explore and enjoy your new home soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky