U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 05:14 AM

246 posts, read 979,740 times

Advertisements

What disappointed you about K-State? I hope it wasn't the racial composition of the student body. Some of our kind are actually quite civilized- even literate! Okay, okay, so KSU is no hahvahd, it still serves several important functions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 02:18 PM

985 posts, read 1,976,143 times
Thumbs up Kentucky State

Agreed, and many of my relatives have attended K-State and some work and teach there. It is just not a major driver of the social scene in Frankfort in my opinion, which is normally what you expect when you talk about a college town. Besides that, I get real tired of them beating Alabama A&M in basketball.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:07 PM

70 posts, read 191,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmanonthewall View Post
Frankfort? Sorry folks but Kentucky State will dissapoint you. The town dies after the state capital closes and everyone goes home to Lexington. Shopping is very marginal.Traffic is terrible. About half of Frankfort is quite frankly an eye sore. Please consider Murray, Danville, and Berea. All three are excellent. These are the towns that T.V. shows on "the good life" are talking about. Frankfort? No way, not as a retirement venue.

Wow. Your attitude leaves a lot to be desired. I'm sure there are a whole lot of people living in this town who will disagree with you. Your description of half of Frankfort being an eyesore is way off base. We have the "poorer" sections of town just like every other town in America but to say HALF of it? That's quite a stretch.

There are a lot of people who live outside Frankfort working in state government but the traffic problem is only during the hour prior to people starting their job (7:30am to 8:30am) and again when they leave work (4:00pm to 5:00pm). Other than that the traffic is not bad at all. Those who live here have learned to adjust to it and if we don't have to be on the road during those hours we avoid the peak times for the traffic. Your description is unfair to say the least.

I work with the senior citizens in this area and they love this town. They feel it's a good place to retire. My mother-in-law is in her 80's and she loves where she lives. All her neighbors are very friendly and they watch out for her and are very caring people. When I first responded to this thread I asked her if she felt it was a good place to retire and she said empathically YES! I agree with her.

highliner, I was wondering the same thing but wasn't sure how to address it, lol Thanks for the input.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:07 PM

80 posts, read 363,787 times
Frankfort is a great town to live in. As for the traffic, compared to Lexington, there is not a problem. 7:30-8:30am and 4:30-5:30pm it gets a little crowded with the state workers entering and leaving, but it's not as bad as you would think. KSU is a good school, but it doesn't have the college scene like you would have in a college oriented town. There aren't any live music places or bars surrounding the campus.
The only place I can describe as being an eyesore here is maybe Holmes Street. Watchmanonthewall, with you being in law enforcement/criminal justice, I'm sure that your view of the city is darker than most others, but it's your work that makes it a great place for the citizens to live in and raise a family. Frankfort is growing and I know of a few new areas of shopping that will be opening up in the future and we've been getting more restaurants over the years.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:31 AM

190 posts, read 757,583 times
Default housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiona View Post
thank you to everyone who has responded!! your replies have all been very helpful. would anyone know what the housing prices would be in berea, danville, or murray for an older 2 bedroom home. i like homes that have some character to them. thank you again for all your wonderful suggestions and web site ideas!!!!
Check out Madison County Board of Realty website, which can give you an idea of the costs of housing and what is available:

www.mcbrhomes.com

Also check out realtor.com, which has some listings that the Board of Realty site doesn't. I'm real familiar with Berea, as I live within 10 miles and my kids attend school there. It's a quiet, beautiful, laid-back little town, with loads of crafts, history, and charm.

I suggest a visit-you won't want to leave!

Best regards,
~joanna~

ps- contact Suncoastman. He has more info on Berea than any person I know! Send him a pm-he's so nice and will gladly help.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:26 PM

31 posts, read 124,742 times
hell, here in Lexington, I avoid rush hour traffic, getting out of school traffic (three shifts), morning traffic, late night traffic, UK game traffic, big headliner at Rupp traffic, and actually can't avoid the traffic altogether.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:43 AM

323 posts, read 1,008,273 times
I have lived in many states and Kentucky is going to be my choice when I retire as well. I have lived in Lexington (huge city), Richmond (becoming huge) Danville (nice quiet very small town) and now Morehead (just under 6,000 pop.) Has Morehead State University, has opportunites for shopping and dining (only 1 hr from Lexington, KY & 1 hr from Huntington, WV), it is in the more mountainous part of Kentucky so there are a lot more trees and rolling mountains as opposed to the horse/farmland of central Ky. It's beautiful and I highly recommend checking out Morehead or even Mount Sterling. They are both right off I-64.
Good luck in your search and I hope you check out these towns/areas in North Eastern Kentucky as well!

Old 05-02-2007, 07:05 AM

3 posts, read 8,459 times
Smile Retirement Town

I live in Eastern Ky but recently visited Danville and it is the most beautiful place I have seen in quite some time. Seemed to have a lot to offer. My husband and I are beginning to think of where we would like to retire. In Kentucky Danville tops the list. It is Quaint!! The people are friendly and I just love the Land, it is just beautiful!!!!!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:56 PM

4 posts, read 27,579 times
Default Why not try Hopkinsville?

My family moved to Hopkinsville in 1993 and really love it here. Check out this website http://www.movetohopkinsville.com for information. "Hoptown" has a small town feeling and the people are friendly. We are near everything, such as: Evansville IN and Nashville TN for shopping, the arts, etc., near several Lakes for water activities and walking trails, camping, etc. We have community activities such as Little River Days coming up in two weeks. So it's a great place to be. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:50 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,980,219 times
I recommend Western KY, Paducah is nice if you need shopping, Murray is nice if you need College, fishing to found everywhere, and it's not crowded (yet) and the property prices and taxes are low compared to the central part of the state. Around here you can leave you doors unlocked and windows open and have nothing to worry about. We tend to forget how good we've got it here, albeit we give up some of the "big" city things. The pros far out way the cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or