U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 09:53 PM

3 posts, read 10,316 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating from NY to Paintsville when hubby retires in about 2 years. I checked the schools on greatschools.com and the Johnson County Schools are excellent and Paintsville Schools are very good also. We have a little one in elementary school. Can anyone tell me about how these schools are with special needs children? We are really tired of the long cold winters here. We want a small town that is low crime and cost of living , no long cold winters and of course the good schools. Could anyone please give me some information on Paintsville? It would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyssss View Post
We are considering relocating from NY to Paintsville when hubby retires in about 2 years. I checked the schools on greatschools.com and the Johnson County Schools are excellent and Paintsville Schools are very good also. We have a little one in elementary school. Can anyone tell me about how these schools are with special needs children? We are really tired of the long cold winters here. We want a small town that is low crime and cost of living , no long cold winters and of course the good schools. Could anyone please give me some information on Paintsville? It would be appreciated. Thanks
Parents lived in Paintsville for many years and loved in. I moved from college and lived there for 3 years. Got married to a traveling salesman to get the heck out of there. Schools are good and the people are great but the economy has taken a turn for the worst. Strong Depenence on the coal industry but hopefully it will turn around.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:29 PM

Smile Paintsville

Thanks riva07 for the information. We liked the area when we visited Paintsville this summer but we have so many decisons to make and so many unanswered questions. This is going to be our last move so want to make sure it is the right one.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:05 AM

9 posts, read 29,457 times
Paintsville is a small, close-knit town and both school systems are great. My kids have grown up in the city school system and friends have gone there AND to the Johnson County/Central system (there are 8-10 elementary schools throughout the county, one county high school and one county middle school; the city schools are both within one block of each other). The only drawback to Paintsville my family has encountered is lack of livable wage JOBS. That is one main reason my family will be moving to Winchester (but working in Lexington, 15 miles away) next year.
I do agree with the other poster - but if your job situation in Paintsville is solid and will provide for a realistic retirement plan - GO FOR IT :O)

Old 01-15-2007, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 6,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyssss View Post
My famliy moved to paintsville about 7 months ago. I don't know how the schools are for special needs, but the schools here are good. We thought the same thing lets get our kids to a small town and in a better school system, where the cost of living is cheeper. Not so we live in town and the bills are higher here then where we came from. On top of the bills being higher though not having a food tax is good you pay for state tax, library tax, county tax if you are working in the county and city tax also if your working in the city we pay more taxes here then the food taxes was where we were. Don't get me wrong I love it here but I don't think we will be here more then a year cause we can't make it. I hope that I,m not scaring you but we did alot of research before we moved and there are somethings you just can't find out unless you ask people that will be honest with you.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 6,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US_UK View Post
Paintsville is a small, close-knit town and both school systems are great. My kids have grown up in the city school system and friends have gone there AND to the Johnson County/Central system (there are 8-10 elementary schools throughout the county, one county high school and one county middle school; the city schools are both within one block of each other). The only drawback to Paintsville my family has encountered is lack of livable wage JOBS. That is one main reason my family will be moving to Winchester (but working in Lexington, 15 miles away) next year.
I do agree with the other poster - but if your job situation in Paintsville is solid and will provide for a realistic retirement plan - GO FOR IT :O)
That,s true if you don't need the money then this is the perfect place to live. It's quite and most people are friendly. The schools are awsome.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:41 PM

US -UK and blueyes632....Thank you for the input. We really liked Paintsville when we were there last summer but we found it difficult to find a house with acreage. We do not want to be in a subdivision. We are thinking maybe Corbin now....Any input about there would be appreciated.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:50 PM

850 posts, read 2,955,140 times
http://www.johnson.k12.ky.us/ http://www.thetimestribune.com/
The above links should help you.

The first is for the Johnson County School system so that you can check it out more closely - and the second is for the newspaper in Corbin. The local paper should give you info as to housing, etc. - and also so me good contacts for more local info.

Welcome, and have a wonderful moving experience!

KimmieyKY

Old 09-01-2007, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,248 times
Paintsville is a very close knot town. People there know everyone and everything about everyone. If its privacy you are looking for, dont go. The schools are ok. I myself graduated there. Both of my children took Kindergarten there and then we moved due to military assignment. They were both held back at the next school in another state. The price of living there is outrageous. My sister, who lives in the city limits, pays more for her "fixer upper" than I do for my "new"home in central ky. Utilities are skyrocketing. There is hardly any good cell phone service, unless you have the local cell phone company. I would warn anyone against moving there. The world is a big place, there are a lot of smaller, quaint, safe towns out here. For the love of all that is holy, chose another one.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:32 PM

246 posts, read 979,481 times
Default highliner

Its been a while since I got a nasty PM, so I'll make an easy target of myself for some lucky shooter out (maybe even way out) there. Paintsville is a pretty little town on the far back end of a barely moderate coal boom. Money is tight, and there are many serious problems in the area as a result, such as lack of high quality healthcare, cash starved ems/fire or other municipal services, a severe lack of decently paying jobs, etc. If a retirement-friendly town is what you desire, it would probably be in your interest to forget all about the poverty stricken end of Kentucky, and aim for one of the satellite towns around Lexington. That way, you can enjoy the slow pace of life in Nicholasville, Versailles, Winchester (my favorite!), or Paris, but still be in close proximity to advanced healthcare and modern, dependable, and extensive municipal services, not to mention a school system that is large and diverse. Best regards!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or