Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:41 AM

22 posts, read 31,564 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Can someone please suggest any family friendly vacation destinations in or around Kentucky (or any neighboring states); within 2-3 hrs driving distance from Louisville, KY? We are targeting the long week end and don't mind staying overnight at the vacation spot. We just want to make this trip memorable as its our 2yr old's first vacation. What matters most is a place which is safe and enjoyable for the little one.

Please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 12:27 PM

10 posts, read 22,777 times
I am from the Indianapolis area, and my suggestion would be to come here and take the little one to the zoo and the Children's Museum. The 500 is also this weekend and there will be a lot going on downtown with the parade on saturday evening. Just a little north of downtown is also Connor Prairie.

There are a lot of things to do in town, especially this coming weekend.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:29 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Holiday World in Santa Claus, In. Holiday World Theme Park & Splashin' Safari Water Park in Santa Claus, Indiana | Holiday World . Several rides your youngster can get on plus the Splashing Safari water park will keep them busy. Free unlimited soft drinks and free sunscreen.
Are you into camping or have you tried camping? Get a tent or rent a camper and take a weekend camping trip. There are several campgrounds close to the Louisville area where he (I guess your youngster is a he? lol) can do and see things outdoors.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
It's a bit late, as the weekend is about here, but Kentucky Down Under just outside of Horse Cave would fit the bill, with its friendly and knowledgeable staff, fine collection of very well-cared-for Australian birds and animals, and beautifully decorated and easily accessible cave. Your toddler might not be interested in the cave - but I bet he or she would adore the wallabies, dingoes, colorful birds, and other surface attractions.

Sorry for the late response - computer woes kept me from posting for the last few days.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:48 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Better late than never, right, Craig? lol

Old 05-26-2012, 11:54 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,945,731 times
Mammoth Cave is south of you, Kentucky Horse Park near Lexington. Creation Museum to the northeast (your mileage may vary -- definitely a sight to see!). My Old Kentucky Home State Park, and the Bergheim Arboretum are south of you, near Bardstown, KY. If you feel like making a bit longer of a drive, you can go to Land Between the Lakes or Lake Cumberland -- both are huge destinations for memorial day weekend. Try and snag a last minute boat rental, and have a picnic on the water. There's also the Daniel Boone National Forest, and Cumberland Gap State Park to the east (though it's a bit farther of a drive). Beautiful scenery in both of those places. If you feel like being more adventurous, Red River Gorge has beautiful hiking and rock climbing.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:20 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
I would not advise taking a toddler to the Red River Gorge, Cumberland Gap, or similar mountainous terrain, unless you plan to remain well away from all cliffs, natural arches, and similar places. Too much danger of a lightning-fast little one running away and plunging over...

Similarly, big lakes can present problems, even if you're not on the water but beside the shore, unless you keep a life jacket on your child at all times.

While these areas are certainly beautiful and offer much to see and do, wait a few years, until your child is old enough to understand some of the dangers and is less likely to playfully run away.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:56 PM

43 posts, read 78,721 times
Take them to the Creation Museum where your child can learn about how the cavemen rode dinosaurs!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:17 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,945,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I would not advise taking a toddler to the Red River Gorge, Cumberland Gap, or similar mountainous terrain...
Fair point. I was a bit older before my parents took me to any of those places. Absolutely beautiful scenery, but definitely not a place for hyperactive little ones -- so, only "family friendly" for families with older children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamplouno View Post
Take them to the Creation Museum where your child can learn about how the cavemen rode dinosaurs!
Then, go down towards Mammoth Cave, and go to Dinosaur-land (or whatever it's called).

Old 05-27-2012, 10:28 AM

671 posts, read 1,117,998 times
Maybe some other trip for you but I would recommend the Kentucky Horse Farm and museums in Lexington as a side trip. Wonderful grounds, horses, lots going on.
We went there while passing through on a road trip, in August-but luckily comfortable weather. It was a bright spot on the trip. No kids though-but the kids we saw seemed to be enjoying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky