Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 11:04 AM

3,815 posts, read 6,418,593 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a married father of 3, and have posted in the Cincinnati forum previously about our interest in relocating to that region. We currently live in northern Michigan. I have previosuly lived in Texas, Georgia, and Massachusetts.

After much research, we are leaning heavily toward living and working in the northern Kentucky region of the Cincy metro. Here are some particulars:

-Where you are working - full time Cat Scan Technologist at a hospital for me, cosmetologist part time for wife
-How much you are willing to spend on housing - up to 200K, possibly a bit higher depending on salaries in the area
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - not long at all. I am a staunch proponent of as short a commute as possible, and always make it a point to live close to work.
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? - public
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? - any of these would do, although suburbia delight may be closest to what we have in mind
-Community amenities important to you - basic shopping (groceries, chain retail) within a few minutes drive. Close enough to Cincinnati to be there within an hour should we get the urge for a ballgame, show, day in the city, etc.
-Pie or cake? Both, with a giant, broiled sirloin beneath them

I'm especially interested to know anything I can about the hospitals in the NKY region. Size, reputation, etc. I want to work for a vibrant, stable company.

Also, I am seeing scores of newer 4BR homes, which is what we would need, for under 200K in NKY. While obviously exciting to us, I'd like to know about the quality of these homes, and if anyone has had any experience with buying and/or living in one. Are these prices the real deal, or too good to be true?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 09:45 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,745,155 times
I don't think anyone in the Cincinnati room mentioned that the biggest employer in Northern Kentucky is the hospital system.

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 06-29-2012 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: word correction

Old 06-30-2012, 06:02 AM

3,815 posts, read 6,418,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
I don't think anyone in the Cincinnati room mentioned that the biggest employer in Northern Kentucky is the hospital system.
Okaaayyy.....and which hospital system might that be?

Old 07-03-2012, 02:13 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,406,804 times
There are a couple hospitals in NKY include St Luke in Florence and Covingoton (where i was born in 1983) though the biggest hospitals in the metro are in the university Med Plex (or whatever they call it) which is north of Downtown Cincinnati near UC. My sister works in the medical industry and she has mostly worked in Ohio (she lives in Independence KY).

Home prices even in the cities are quite cheap in Kentucky and the property taxes are low. NKY has a nice mixture of house types: new McMansions, older brick homes, and Victorian along the riverfront.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:35 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,745,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There are a couple hospitals in NKY include St Luke in Florence and Covingoton (where i was born in 1983) though the biggest hospitals in the metro are in the university Med Plex (or whatever they call it) which is north of Downtown Cincinnati near UC. My sister works in the medical industry and she has mostly worked in Ohio (she lives in Independence KY).

Home prices even in the cities are quite cheap in Kentucky and the property taxes are low. NKY has a nice mixture of house types: new McMansions, older brick homes, and Victorian along the riverfront.
They've consolidated somehow. As I understand it, St. Luke's and St. Elizabeth's all one, with St. E's in new building and bishop in old building. Don't exactly know what was so can't say what is. I gather it is/was all originally churchy. And, per regional promotion: biggest employer in N. Kentucky.

Information's in the telephone book for anyone interested. Online, run search on hospitals, N. Kentucky -- websites exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky