U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 01:42 PM

9 posts, read 30,937 times

Advertisements

if your sick of the heat then don't be lookin at anywhere in the south-central/western KY area the humidity is HORRIBLE..you feel like you can't breathe just steppin out on ur own doorstep...tornandoes vary..but there not a thing to worry about..and snow..god...we only had flurries last winter(so basically no snow)....but that's just south-central/western kentucky...you would like eastern kentucky better..that's up near the BEAUTIFUL smokey mountains...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 10:28 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,979,185 times
The weather in KY varies depending on area, the central and eastern part are zone 6 and the far western part is zone 7. The western end is far hotter and more humid than the central and eastern part. Depending on the area you choose your weather can and will vary.

Today it was 98 degrees and the humidity wasn't to bad only about 60% ... LOL you can break a sweat thinking, I'm in the far south western part of the state, we have a lot of ex-Floridians here though.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:22 PM

458 posts, read 2,605,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sick of South Florida View Post
What is the weather like in Kentucky? How much snow do you get? Tornadoes? Do you have to put up alot of hay for the winter (for horses)? What's the best area to have a small farm (at least 10 acres or more) and ride horses? I have a Kentucky Mountain horse and he says he hates South Florida, it's too hot!
Tornadoes and threats of tornadoes are always possible, particularly in the spring time. I wouldn't let them scare you. The threat is always there, but I have never been in a tornado although I have seen a couple of funnel clouds that never touched down. Any place you live is going to have one thing or another as far as violent acts of nature. I'll take an area that is capable of getting a tornado than a hurricane or earthquake any day.

Sometimes there's not much snow at all, sometimes there can be a huge blizzard shutting down a city. I personally am not a fan at all of the weather around here (I in Southern Indiana right next to Louisville btw) and am looking to move away. The weather is very inconsistant and in my opinion not very good. In the spring time it can be 85 one day and cold enough for jackets and long pants the next. It gets cold in the winter. Most nights the temperatures will drop well below freezing. It gets pretty humid in the summer. There really aren't too many days where the weather is "pleasant"

As for horses, Kentucky is obviously known for its horses and horse racing. I'd say the Lexington area is the best place to have a small farm for your horse.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:03 AM

43 posts, read 41,856 times
Default Breckinridge County Kentucky

We moved here from Florida two years ago and it took two years to decide on what part of Kentucky we wanted to live in. We chose Breckinridge County because it is close to Rough River Lake and the Ohio River. We live between Brandenburg and Hardinsburg, two growing county seats. We have easy access to Tell City and Coryden, Indiana also. We moved to get away from the hurricanes and high humidity. Currently our humidity is only about 30% which we never saw in Florida. We understand that tons of Floridians are moving this way. The tornados have not been a problem for us as we get advance notice through our weather radio (everyone should have one) and have a basement to hunker down in. Our two winters here have not produced hardly any snow and we were never stuck from going out as our road crews are great. Our crime rate is low and so are our taxes and cost of living. There is no better place to live.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:58 PM

6,749 posts, read 20,361,851 times
I keep hearing we have three month seasons but when is the last time we had a three month spring or a three month fall??? summer seems to get longer and longer and so does the fall....

Old 06-16-2007, 06:00 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,979,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I keep hearing we have three month seasons but when is the last time we had a three month spring or a three month fall??? summer seems to get longer and longer and so does the fall....
I think that's central and eastern KY in the southwestern part of the state we have 4 seasons ... almost summer, summer, still summer and Christmas.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:27 PM

6,749 posts, read 20,361,851 times
I thin kI nead to clarify what I said..... spring tends to go very quick lately. It seems like we get a few weeks and then BAM! We're in the summer. Fall seems to last alot longer than it used to, also. Maybe it's just me though....

Old 12-14-2009, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,247 times
so im looking for a single room, that i can work off rent, im 19 from Alberta Canada, i have extensive quine knowledge my family is huge rodeo, i myself am a distinguished reiner, i have competed of the international team for canada and have great knowledge of animals, looking for work on a farm email me at [email]morgan_girletz@hotmail.com[/email]

Old 12-15-2009, 01:24 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,120,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_girletz View Post
so im looking for a single room, that i can work off rent, im 19 from Alberta Canada, i have extensive quine knowledge my family is huge rodeo, i myself am a distinguished reiner, i have competed of the international team for canada and have great knowledge of animals, looking for work on a farm email me at morgan_girletz@hotmail.com
You should have no trouble finding that opportunity. Good luck!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,703 times
Default Kentucky

Have read your plog ,you are intrested to move to Kentucky ,and my Children want me to move to florida,i have 12 acres with a fishpound stocked with Bass, Catfish Bluegills ,have Deer Turkeys plus have a nice size Home ,has 3 Bedrooms 2 BathroomsLiving& Dinningroom and in the Basement witch has its own entrens it has a Dinningroom,Livingroom Bedroom Kitchen and Bathroom on a open Floorplan. Plus large deck on the first floor nice Deck on the bottum Floor .im 71 and it is just alot of work for me and my Children want me to move to Florida to be close to them .Hope to hear from you ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky