Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 08:24 PM

43 posts, read 238,536 times

Advertisements

What is the weather like in Kentucky? How much snow do you get? Tornadoes? Do you have to put up alot of hay for the winter (for horses)? What's the best area to have a small farm (at least 10 acres or more) and ride horses? I have a Kentucky Mountain horse and he says he hates South Florida, it's too hot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 28,262 times
That's funny...I'm in south Fla and sick of the heat too. I'm looking to move to the Lexington area...for the horses. Gotta sell here first.. Good Luck.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:27 PM

237 posts, read 846,030 times
I am originally from Orlando (now live in Atlanta) and will be retiring in Kentucky. The state has foru distinct seasons, wonderful summers, but the winter can get a bit cold. You can expect a few decent snows each year but usuallly not over a few inches. The pace is slower, people are generally friendly and scenery is great! If you are looking for more of a 'Maybery' type lifestyle, you can find it there.

Digger~

Old 10-05-2006, 11:03 AM

480 posts, read 1,910,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sick of South Florida View Post
What is the weather like in Kentucky? How much snow do you get? Tornadoes? Do you have to put up alot of hay for the winter (for horses)? What's the best area to have a small farm (at least 10 acres or more) and ride horses? I have a Kentucky Mountain horse and he says he hates South Florida, it's too hot!
From an outsider who's traveled there, and is a weather junkie:

Summers hot and humid, but July in KY is more like late September in Florida. Highs will usually be mid 80s to low 90s, and lows in the mid to upper 60s. Winters can get cold, usually one or two good snowfalls and a few dustings, but temperatures in winter can vary from as cold as zero or a bit below (but doesn't last more than a couple days) to a mild day in the 60s. Overall expect winter highs in the upper 30s to 40s and lows in the 20s to near freezing, but when an arctic front passes through, it can get near or a bit below zero at night, this will usually happen once each winter, maybe twice.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:59 PM

48 posts, read 201,620 times
Default where in KY help!!!

Hi my family and I currently live in Fort Worth, TX. We hate it, boring state and not pretty as far as I am concerned. And wayyyy to HOT. We have the house up for sale and are looking to possibly relocate to KY. Please help, could you tell me if you guys get a decent amount of snow (we want snow!!!). How is the housing there, looking to spend between 250,000 and not more than 300!! Less than 300, 00 would be ideal.We are looking at least 3,300 square foot home with a finished basement (4-5 bedroom). I have heard nice things about Lexington and Louisville but have no real knowledge of any of these places. How far is Cinncinatti from these areas. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Looking for a great place to raise the kids, great schools, four distinct seasons, with snow and low cost of living. By the way, what's the property taxes like there?? Please email me at:
maryann1804@aol.com
thanks again.
Oh are there a lot of hospitals there, my husband is a nurse.

Old 10-21-2006, 06:20 PM

31 posts, read 133,784 times
weather: you want it, we got it. we got high humidity and hot summers, windy spring and fall and very cold winters with some snow. rain, thunderstorms, tornadoes, floods, hail, fog, sleet, and ice as well as snow. unfortunately, we are often more likely to get ice than snow. we do get at least some snow every year.

the temperature and weather fluctuations can be hard on the body. one day it may be 80 and the next could be 30 and raining. this happens a lot in transitions during spring and fall. I really hate lately when it's gotten down to zero in the winter. I remember one day last year, the high was TEN DEGREES. luckily, that doesn't happen often, and some winters it never gets below 20, even at night. you never know.

if your husband wants a nursing job, I know that in Lexington at least, he can take his pick of hospitals to work at. we have several, and they're ALWAYS hiring nurses, with pretty good pay. remember that expenses are less here than other places, so it evens out.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:34 AM

7,067 posts, read 16,649,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann1804 View Post
Hi my family and I currently live in Fort Worth, TX. We hate it, boring state and not pretty as far as I am concerned. And wayyyy to HOT. We have the house up for sale and are looking to possibly relocate to KY. Please help, could you tell me if you guys get a decent amount of snow (we want snow!!!). How is the housing there, looking to spend between 250,000 and not more than 300!! Less than 300, 00 would be ideal.We are looking at least 3,300 square foot home with a finished basement (4-5 bedroom). I have heard nice things about Lexington and Louisville but have no real knowledge of any of these places. How far is Cinncinatti from these areas. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Looking for a great place to raise the kids, great schools, four distinct seasons, with snow and low cost of living. By the way, what's the property taxes like there?? Please email me at:
maryann1804@aol.com
thanks again.
Oh are there a lot of hospitals there, my husband is a nurse.
This will provide all your answers:

http://www.courier-journal.com/kyguide/

Louisville is a metro of 1.2 million compared to 400k for Lexington. It is thus substantially larger and feels so, but it doesnt really feel like a big city. Louisville is actually very comprable to Fort Worth, minus the whole Dallas metroplex part of the area.

Louisville is surprisingly liberal and eclectic in the city, but certainly has some "redneckish" parts in surrounding suburbs and S. Indiana bedroom communites. Still, the weather is great as it gives you 3 months for each season, with about 8 months of the year of what I would consider mild to hot. Only in December, Jan, or Feb can it get "bitter" cold, like around 0 degrees at night. I suggest looking at weather.com for climate info as they have averages as opposed to "heresay" people post here. Type in a zip and compare it to where you live.

Old 11-23-2006, 02:32 PM

1,049 posts, read 646,036 times
Weather in Kentucky we get winter storms, tornados, flooding, heat waves, cold waves, everything. In the summer it gets pretty hot and pretty humid in Christian and Todd county the average July high is 89 up around Louisville and Lexington and Covington it is cooler with an average summer time high in the mid 80's. Watch out for the March like systems we get those result in nasty severe weather and bad flooding. Example Feb 28-March 2nd 1997 winters can be warm or can be snowy it depends.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:20 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,200,879 times
I don't know anything about the weather in Kentucky except what I've researched on the net and see that different parts of the states have different statistics.

Such as humidity which I've posted on another thread and pasted here....

I've done much looking and if one checks the area he or she would like to relocate on Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, the comfort index of any particular area is listed. Such as where I live in TX, the comfort index is 24. This is based on humidity during hot months of the year. The higher the index, the better. The average in the U.S. is 44.

Anyway, I'm checking out areas in NC, VA, WV, TN, and now KY and find Pikeville to have an index of 41, Louisa, 40, and Ashland, 39. Bowling Green is 34 as is Hopkinsville, and Eddyville, 28. Yikes!! Now Eddyville is almost as bad as where I live.

I'm only interested in the mountain areas where the comfort level isn't too bad but not as great as some places I've looked at in VA, WV, TN, and NC.

One can't use overall state as a statistic for different areas.

I'm being really choosy about where I want to move and plan to check out all the states mentioned above and KY next June.

I've read good things on this forum about Pikeville, so I'll definitely be visiting that area. It fits a lot of my criteria such as the amount of snow, only 1 minor tornado since 1951, etc. I'm just hoping it won't grow by leaps and bounds because that is something I would like not to happen wherever I may relocate.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 08:24 AM..

Old 11-25-2006, 08:47 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,200,879 times
Yikes!! I just checked the crime rate in Pikeville and it's way too high. Does anyone have any suggestions on nice mountain towns with:

few tornadoes
not too much snow
no flooding
low crime rate
ethnicity
comfort index of at least 40
good air and water quality (air quality in Pikeville not good)

Also, I know nothing about coalfield area? Is that somewhere I might not want to be or?

I'm sorry to be picky but at my age if I'm going to move, it must be the next best thing to my last home of Heaven.

If someone can just give me ideas, I'll do the researching for my pickiness.

Thanks!

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: add comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky