Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 03:52 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,334 times

Advertisements

Angel - I don't think that your post was offensive. Racial tensions and crime can originate from people of any race...and I personally would like to avoid both whenever I can.

Living in KY, I've heard and seen more stereotyping of races than in other places where I've lived. For example, at a recent wedding at the Louisville Country Club (where the great majority of the guests were white), we actually heard a group talking about how nice it was to see the young, strong, black men being the servers...just like in the good ol' days.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:10 AM

6 posts, read 11,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Yes you certainly are straightforward...I didn't know that all white people were nice, law abiding citizens...If you study history I believe you will be surprised to learn that the term racist usually applies to white people..You know, the klan, the skinheads, the Aryan nation, etc..FYI I have lived in SE Ky for 30 years and have seen crime, druge, etc, but to my knowledge not any racism..So I believe you will be safe here
I'm going to be straight forward again:

1. I never implied all white people where nice, law abiding citizens. Nor would I believe such a radiculas view.

2. I have studied enough history and current events to understand issues are not just any one place, but every state has them. Want a culture shock? Visit Miami or Orlando, even little Deland Fl. There's racism, crime and drugs more hidden then in plain view from all sides. So, getting open honest views of a local area are incredibly important when you consider where to live, the effects it will have on your children and your quality of life.

3. I got the feeling you were implying I am a racist. I hope not. I believe I was clear in saying I don't have a problem having neighbors of other races. I have a problem living with racial tensions. That includes from white to black, black to white or italian to irish, muslim to jewish, etc. My children are not taught differences in heritage are wrong, but that we are all children of God and I'd like to keep it that way.

4. While I appreciate your response, I asked about SW KY, like the Hopkinsville area. What is indictive to SE KY may not apply in any way to the opposite side of the state. I have read several posts of very different views both good and bad and I appreciate them all.

5. As far and unconseiencly sending out wrong signals, sometimes its the interpatetion of the reader that slants the view of the words, not the words themselves.

I come from an area of Florida where, most communities are mix of everything. Some are peaceful, not much crime, don't see drugs or gangs with great schools, (doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just don't see it), some are not, lots of tension, crime, drug use, gangs and terrible schools. Its not limited to any race or heritage. It costs us a lot of money to live away from the latter of these areas and its not affordable anymore.

The original poster sounds like he would be a wonderful neighbor. Thats the type of neighbors I would greatly appreciate, its not the color of someones skin I am looking for, its the peacefulness of ones heart that draws me near.

I hope I have completely cleared this up and can get some honest feedback on where in SW KY or NW TN I can find that.

I'm not a pretender and I don't want to insult anyone or be insulted. I didn't come here for "politically correct" answers or suger coated views. Wherever we move to we are going to be part of our community not just tax payers but activly involved, voters, consumers, local partons.

I appreciate all the honest, friendly guidance anyone can offer. If anyone has any questions or "warnings" please feel free to pm me. I welcome open, honest information.

Thanks to all the kind folks who post and help so many with such life atlering decisions. The information you give is invaulable and you should be commended for your efforts.

Best wishes to all.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:20 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,505,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel23 View Post
Crime and drugs come in all races. My post was trying to express being concerned about living in that type of area, not color denomination.

Living in FL I have found its not by race that all the crimes happen, but usually very poor neighborhoods. Thus you will find lots of drug and gang involvement and poor school systems. I also feel uncomfortable living with the KKK next door to me or unkind to neighbors. I have no desire to live with either extreme. I do enjoy a more "middle of the road way of life.

We're a fair minded family, we like to be part of our community, help our neighbors and such.

Again, sorry if I offended anyone, not my intention. I want to have the most honest view of where I am looking to put down roots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Thanks Angel ..Apoology accepted.. for myself anyway..I think sometimes we unintentionally send out wrong signals
I think you may have missed these two posts below

Old 12-05-2007, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 10,702 times
Quote:
atlantagreg30127
Yeah, but I get into trouble when I do THAT.

I grew up in Charleston, WV (only 50 miles from the Kentucky line. Spent lots of time in the Lexington area with relatives, and today here (Atlanta) my best friend is from the Winchester, Kentucky area.

Now racism can exist anywhere and it can literally vary over just a few miles. You can be in one area and everyone gets along very well, go 5 miles one way or the other and people will burn crosses in your yard. My Cousin's house in Lexington was in a pretty upscale area with mixed folks living there (white, black and some Asian) but just a few blocks away from here was a subdivision which was known for racial tension, so again, it varies. I *CAN* tell you that Winchester is a pretty darn rednecky town. Granted, my friend's family is one of those "from the bad side of the tracks" kinda folks, but I've been through there with him several times. Physically the town is really neat looking (Main Street USA type of place), but I saw guys walking around everywhere who looked like ZZTop guys with gun holsters visibly worn. yikes.
You have no clue..
I grew up in Winchester, Kentucky. There is a good possibility that one of the ZZtop looking, gun totting guys you seen was - 1. My Father, or 2. someone that I've spent time with, hanging out.
Racism in Winchester is everywhere. You just don't see it. A lot of people there are narrow minded, and are 8 times out of 10, in a family that displays negative values on other cultures.
Yes, Winchester may have put the face of "Main Street USA". With the newer editions to the city, and major plans for national Airport sometime in 2010, or so. The fact of the matter is, that the guys showing off guns in the street there show's for something, they are scared of what might be.

On a side note, I've done some work in Bowling Green. All of the people that I've met there have been overly nice. Almost fake even. But none have seemed negative to the point of me not wanting to go back and visit.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:51 AM

103 posts, read 447,021 times
Hummm...
Alrighty then.
Interesting thread and good for a few laughs all around, although it's not funny.
LOL, I'm white and there are a few places in ky that i wouldn't even want to go, and if i do, i don't stare, and don't say much, or stay long, and it's best to go with a local. I've been places with a ky plate, that had no county printed on it, and felt sooo out of place just driving through, LOL
It is no different than any other state, i would guess?

Bowling Green is a diversified city with a mix of everything. Personally, I think BG has gone to crap, with all its growth and traffic, compared to 25 years ago. It is still very small compared to Louisville, but you hate to see it grow like it has, or at least i do.
I would advise anyone thinking of moving anywhere, to spend time there before you do. That goes for anywhere in the country. You will never know until you see for yourself. Everyones view is a little tainted one way or the other, but i'm not saying they aren't correct.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:14 PM

12 posts, read 46,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcadamsky View Post
I've lived in western ky all of my life. I'd be glad to share info with you.
The local motto is "Kentucky it's that friendly".
racism exists everywhere but i dont belive your children would feel anything but welcome in our communities. I love the country too and have a web site for you to check out. removed the christian county board of realators.
Hopkinsville has a lot of jobs. Its located just north of fort campbell army base. Its also about 1.5 hours drive to Nashville, Tn.
Trigg county might also be of interest to you its a small farming community.
Cadiz(Trigg Co.) is about 30 min to Hopkinsville.
Let me know if I can help

My Friend lives in cadiz kentucky and i don't know about racisim against Black people but she dates black guys and she said that her area is very unexcepting of interracil dating & bi racial kids. So much so that she is thinking of moving she also graduated 3 years ago and she said there was one black kid in her whole high school~ Don't know how much this will help but just wanted to add.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,498 times
Are you serious "No racism in N. Kentucky!" I have lived in cincy all my life and have been in Kentucky on many occassions. Yes I have experienced racism in Kentucky more than I have in cincy. As of now my job has me in Falmouth,Ky and it is so cold hearted for such a small town. Or maybe the cold heartedness is from the racist towns people.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:07 PM

149 posts, read 764,186 times
In an effort to add positive note to this discussion, lemme add this lesser known fact:

Univ of Louisville drama school operates on segregated format literally split into 2 divisions, black and white. Meanwhile theatre productions are NOT segregated with tryouts open for all, plenty of overlap with lots of interaction among black and white drama students across the board.

Ever since civil rights movement of 1960's and beyond, everybody outside U of L drama school nationwide has fought to eliminate this segregation, threatening to withdraw funds, shut down the school, etc. Even today the question of integrating the drama school comes up each 5-10 yrs. There was funding dispute just a few yrs ago. But NONE of the students *especially blacks* and NONE of the faculty want to change it.

Each drama school holds Highest Respect for the other with zero resentment, animosity or enmity. Workshops are generally mixed as one program dovetails with the other. It's an amazing example of segregation that works, entirely conflicts with status quo 'norms' being forced upon the community. Black man involved with the program describing this situation to me expressed special pride in successful segregation format at U of L drama school.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:42 AM

458 posts, read 2,289,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcoyote View Post
In an effort to add positive note to this discussion, lemme add this lesser known fact:

Univ of Louisville drama school operates on segregated format literally split into 2 divisions, black and white. Meanwhile theatre productions are NOT segregated with tryouts open for all, plenty of overlap with lots of interaction among black and white drama students across the board.

Ever since civil rights movement of 1960's and beyond, everybody outside U of L drama school nationwide has fought to eliminate this segregation, threatening to withdraw funds, shut down the school, etc. Even today the question of integrating the drama school comes up each 5-10 yrs. There was funding dispute just a few yrs ago. But NONE of the students *especially blacks* and NONE of the faculty want to change it.

Each drama school holds Highest Respect for the other with zero resentment, animosity or enmity. Workshops are generally mixed as one program dovetails with the other. It's an amazing example of segregation that works, entirely conflicts with status quo 'norms' being forced upon the community. Black man involved with the program describing this situation to me expressed special pride in successful segregation format at U of L drama school.
What is the purpose of the segregation?

Old 01-25-2008, 07:59 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcoyote View Post
I guess it's just me, but I find that difficult to believe. I googled it and came up with nothing. Not doubting your friend, but if that were true, it seems like there would be something on the internet about it.

Their web page does mention an African American Theater Program, but that doesn't seem to be quite what your friend is saying. It's clearly just a sub-section of the Drama Department. That like saying the History Department is segregated because there is a medieval history section or a woman's history section, imo.

If you look at the faculty list and the facilities list, it is not literally split into two divisions. Which as a graduate of UL, I'm happy to report!

Department of Theatre Arts > University of Louisville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky