Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 11:11 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times

Advertisements

My father is from Southern Indiana (which is an area you might consider). His family was here before the Civil War and they fought for the Union! (Don't know if this means much anymore, but it might if you are black.)

Anyway, we are also in California and are considering a move to somewhere near Louisville. I'm kinda used to Southern California now and I don't really want to move back to a plain white neighborhood. I'd rather find something with some diversity. I've seen some mentions of the Highlands area in Louisville though I don't know what kind of houses/land/whatever are available around there.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:13 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,132 times
You've all given me some real, important information. Of all the replies, "hairmetal4ever" was the most ... thought provocing, eh?
Quote:
In most of these areas, if you're black, and act like Bill Cosby, or Wayne Brady, or James Earl Jones, you'll be fine. If you act like 50 Cent, or Tupac, you'll have trouble in a mostly white neighborhood.
I'd LOVE to be thought of as James Earl Jones ... but I don't think I'd like being Wayne Brady. I respect the brother, but I don't want to give that much of myself up.

But I know what you mean ... and I think what you're saying is, if you're friendly, and as authentic as a human being ... not a role ... and you have values, integrity and character, then I won't ... um ... "run into trouble."

But I'm from California so what's called, "diversity" is normal to me. But sadly, there are "thug kulture" values amongst all races that is grossely self-destructive and too young to realize it. The crash of all that isn't going to be pretty. Right now it's a young culture and no, you can't tell young folks of any hue anything.

Add addiction to the mix and "young people" can be anyone under the age of 75 who has arrested his or her emotional development by self-medicating their emotions with drugs, alcohol ... and heartless preditory sex ... and now they say, add food and co-dependency to the entire dysfunctional ... wait ... I gotta get outta here ... let's just keep talking about those five or more acres ... (smile)

... think i got a snow ball's chance in hell??

How'd I duplicate this??

Last edited by Marka; 10-12-2006 at 01:14 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 10-12-2006, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 12,094 times
Smile western ky

I've lived in western ky all of my life. I'd be glad to share info with you.
The local motto is "Kentucky it's that friendly".
racism exists everywhere but i dont belive your children would feel anything but welcome in our communities. I love the country too and have a web site for you to check out. removed the christian county board of realators.
Hopkinsville has a lot of jobs. Its located just north of fort campbell army base. Its also about 1.5 hours drive to Nashville, Tn.
Trigg county might also be of interest to you its a small farming community.
Cadiz(Trigg Co.) is about 30 min to Hopkinsville.
Let me know if I can help

Last edited by Marka; 10-12-2006 at 11:46 AM..

Old 10-12-2006, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 8,654 times
Default Interesting thread!

I just wanted to say thanks for all the interesting information on this thread. I had been wondering myself and was excited to see the question had already been asked.

My husband and I are planning to relocate to KY in April. I'm white, but since I grew up in Africa, have an adopted black brother, plus my (white) sister married a wonderful black man and they have three beautiful mixed children--all of which I hope will come spend time on our new farm--I am glad to hear the fairly positive reviews of KY. Since I grew up outside the US, any info I had was from my parent's generation--which meant all I heard was that the South was probably more racist-- but no up-to-date info.

Thanks for helping us make our decision!

Old 10-16-2006, 01:13 PM

104 posts, read 417,373 times
Default Now for the bad news.

I would look at Hopkinsville. First, it has the largest percentage of black population in the state. Blacks and whites just naturally get along. Second, it is 8 miles from one of the worlds largest military bases and every culture on the planet can be found near a military community. Also, the local people are used to persons moving in and out on a regular basis so newcomers are readily accepted without even a second thought. I'm not going to disparige any of my neighbors to the north so I'll ask you to to type in Google " KKK Powderly Kentucky and KKK Dawson Springs Kentucky. Make up your own mind.I would avoid Muhlenberg and Hopkins Counties if I were you. Also, the last time I checked there were 0 black people living in Marshall Co. Why? Maybe it's because they don't feel welcome. Yes, this really is the south.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:59 AM

Default Wow ... thanks everyone...

Since I began looking, I've learned that the country is experiencing one of the largest "reverse migration" of blacks since our parents and grandparents left in the period of 1917 - 1969.

College educated blacks are supposedly "leading the charge" out of these cities of "Soul Death." The messages that all of you have posted to my questions has given me heart and inspiration. So much that I've thought about how I could begin documenting it.

More ... is the fact that people from eVeRy genotype (... according to Spencer Wells and his DNA/genetic research... there's only one race and that's the Human Race...) are running out of urban centers seeking some measure of peace from the armies of Parking Metermaids, speed traps, rents so high that no matter how much you make, your apartment still looks ... "simular", and begging crack addicts who will break your windows and rob your car for .35 cents WHENEVER you're foolish enough to park on a "quiet street" ... ... well ... I digress, eh?

The main thing, is that blacks, whites, browns, yellows, reds ... et al ... are members in this new migration too. Most of the population seems to be continuing to flow towards the two coasts ... but look at the wonderful properties they are leaving. One can only wonder what strange new mixtures that will occur in small Midwestern towns and the Southern towns many of our parents came from.
Quote:
[CENTER]
"The only constant is change."[/CENTER]
I hate to sound like a naive yokel ... but the spirits of the messages that all of you have written ... well ... more people should read them. At this time in our country, such responses are small lights in the darkness.

Good things to all of you. (Both the "Welcome" and the "Beware" messages) ... kudos.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:25 PM

43 posts, read 207,504 times
Veganwriter -
We've lived here six years. My spouse was born in central CA and we lived there for ten years. I am origianlly from the south and grew up in a town that was pretty even black/white and very little of any other ethnic/race group. I remember desegregation of the schools and bussing. We are both caucasian and could not look more "white" but have a name that some seem to think "looks foreign". I'm telling you this so you can balance it against what I am about to say.

We're used to having friends who are friends because they are good, interesting, decent people first and if they happen to be of a different race, religion or culture, that's just gravy.

Speaking bluntly, as soon as we can get out of here, we're history. It all looks very charming and polite on the surface, but I've seen more blatant prejudice here than I have ever seen anywhere. I have friends who live in Louisville and Lexington who tell us it is different in the more populated areas, but I have black and Hispanic friends who will not come to our house because of the reputation of the community towards minorities.

Case in point: The month after we got here, the KKK held a rally at the courthouse and last year they had a "social and religious organization" booth at a local festival. We have a friend who just adopted an older biracial child. She's already decided it's in the child's best interest to move out of the area.

Of course you have to make up your own mind, but my advice would be to try to find some contacts in the are you are interested in who are NOT realtors, chamber of commerce workers or, for that matter, white, and ask them these questions. I realize the land here looks beautiful, but if you're going to be treated poorly no amount of beauty will make up for it. If you still want to buy out here, I suggest looking east and north for the most hospitable areas. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:48 PM

43 posts, read 207,504 times
Weather varies from place to place in the state - lots of microclimates.
Hurricanes are a non-issue, really. Too far inland and the Appalachians protect us from most of the effects of those that hit the eastern seaboard, and any that hit the Gulf, the most we get from them is rain and storms.

I can't speak for the eastern part of the state, but in the central part, the snow isn't that big a deal if you use appropriate caution and good sense. I haven't seen anything even close to a blizzard. It's when we get ice that things get ugly. You may have heard about the big ice storm that nearly paralyzed Lexington? I think that was 2004, but maybe it was 2005.

The three big things are flash flooding (near the Ohio River and to the east, especially), tornados and lightning. Yes, tornados happen. Yes, you should take them seriously. But, like the earthquakes there (oh, we have those too, but they are tiny ones), you can't do much about them, so you just use common sense and watch the weather carefully. Ah, but the lightning. Surge protect everything! I've never seen lightning like here. It's amazing. Sacry as h---, but amazing.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:19 PM

458 posts, read 2,290,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymbk View Post
Veganwriter -
We've lived here six years. My spouse was born in central CA and we lived there for ten years. I am origianlly from the south and grew up in a town that was pretty even black/white and very little of any other ethnic/race group. I remember desegregation of the schools and bussing. We are both caucasian and could not look more "white" but have a name that some seem to think "looks foreign". I'm telling you this so you can balance it against what I am about to say.

We're used to having friends who are friends because they are good, interesting, decent people first and if they happen to be of a different race, religion or culture, that's just gravy.

Speaking bluntly, as soon as we can get out of here, we're history. It all looks very charming and polite on the surface, but I've seen more blatant prejudice here than I have ever seen anywhere. I have friends who live in Louisville and Lexington who tell us it is different in the more populated areas, but I have black and Hispanic friends who will not come to our house because of the reputation of the community towards minorities.

Case in point: The month after we got here, the KKK held a rally at the courthouse and last year they had a "social and religious organization" booth at a local festival. We have a friend who just adopted an older biracial child. She's already decided it's in the child's best interest to move out of the area.

Of course you have to make up your own mind, but my advice would be to try to find some contacts in the are you are interested in who are NOT realtors, chamber of commerce workers or, for that matter, white, and ask them these questions. I realize the land here looks beautiful, but if you're going to be treated poorly no amount of beauty will make up for it. If you still want to buy out here, I suggest looking east and north for the most hospitable areas. Best of luck to you.
Say it's not so! These are my biggest fears about a place like KY. It looks polite and lovely on the surface, but then the KKK sets up shop across the street. I want to believe that that is all in the past and that the south has progressed, but I am worried when I hear from people like you that it hasn't.

Yikes.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:00 AM

Default Hey ymbk... WHERE are you at??

Hi...

Thanks for the candid responce... but now you HAVE to tell me what part of Kentucky are you located in?

... or do you feel this way about ALL of ... of Kentucky?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky