Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:57 PM

24 posts, read 44,181 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are anticipating relocating to the Fort Knox area in the next few months and have decided that we will most likely be looking to plant some roots and buy a house that we can live in well after he's retired from the military. We would like to be within 30-35 minutes to post with a budget of up to $275,000. Must be in an excellent school system. We are from Oklahoma and will be again looking for a property that has roughly 5-10 acres, larger home that we won't outgrow and can accommodate family visits, etc. Essentially a hobby farm type place in a small rural community that is still in decent proximity to town, shopping, post, etc. Low crime/safety extremely important as he is frequently gone. If anyone can shed some insight to areas that might work for us, it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 PM

11,010 posts, read 17,383,046 times
My nephew and his family are also in the Army (Col.) and was PCS'd to Ft. Knox a few months ago. They bought a house in Rineyville, between Knox and Elizabethtown. Said they checked out E'Town but liked the neighborhood at Rineyville. Couldn't give you any details on the price or what the town is like though.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:25 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,258,564 times
I can refer you to some excellent Realtors in the Ft Knox area. PM me if you would like. While I am a member of the MLS that serves Ft. Knox and the one hour radius, you will be better served by others.

That being said, KYGMAN gave you some excellent advice. The entire area is in a growth mode, which also limits the number of opportunities for your particular criteria. I would not rule out the southern part of Harrison County, IN as well.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:02 PM

Thank you for your replies. Can anyone tell me about the following areas in regards to safety, proximity to Fort Knox, and schools? Thank you again.

- Lebanon Junction
- Shepherdsville
- Brandenburg
- Elizabethtown

Old 07-20-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steedaunh32 View Post
Thank you for your replies. Can anyone tell me about the following areas in regards to safety, proximity to Fort Knox, and schools? Thank you again.

- Lebanon Junction
- Shepherdsville
- Brandenburg
- Elizabethtown
Lebanon Junction and Shepherdsville have very weak schools are within your 30 minute radius, and typically rural safe.

Brandenburg is the county seat of Meade County. Meade is a typical Kentucky farming community undergoing quite a rapid transition from rural to suburban. This places stress on lots of systems, roads, and businesses. Historically Meade schools have been solid.

Elizabethtown, especially Hardin County (not including Radcliff area) is a hodge-podge of great communities and a few not so wonderful transit communities. Schools are reasonable to very good. Safety is solid.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:10 PM

Thank you tomocox, that's very helpful.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:07 AM

161 posts, read 410,622 times
Brandenburg/ Meade County is definitely worth a look. You get the farm community, not a bad drive to the "big city" of Louisville, plus access to the Ohio River. Easy access to Ft Knox as well.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:44 AM

20,098 posts, read 16,015,663 times
You are doing what we thought we were doing (hubby's civillian job is transferring him - ugh). I can tell Tomocox is not from the immediate area because, contrary to what he is saying, the area abounds with what you are looking for. First, the area as a whole, is very safe. However I personally wouldn't want to live in Shepardsville or Lebonon Junction just because they have a kind of icky vibe. Many of our friends have reported that Meade County Schools (Brandenburg) have been less than receptive to new comers, especailly if you happen to be a minority.

Hardin County is home to a few towns, including Elizabethtown. While Elizabethtown Independent is a good school system, it does not serve families that live outside of the actual city and, to my knowledge, no one with acreage. The southern rural part of Hardin County is served by Central Hardin High and the northern part is served mostly by North Hardin High. The elementary and middles schools that feed into those schools have similar stats to their respective high schools. Based on everything I've heard and test scores, Central is a far better school. Some of the cities served by the Central pyramid include Cecilia, White Mills, Eastview, Glendale, Sonora, Upton and parts of Elizabethtown. You can easily find property that meets your criteria in most of those places. I personally recommend around Cecilia or Glendale.

Rineyville, Radcliff, and Vine Grove are in the northern part of the county.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You are doing what we thought we were doing (hubby's civillian job is transferring him - ugh). I can tell Tomocox is not from the immediate area because, contrary to what he is saying, the area abounds with what you are looking for. First, the area as a whole, is very safe. However I personally wouldn't want to live in Shepardsville or Lebonon Junction just because they have a kind of icky vibe. Many of our friends have reported that Meade County Schools (Brandenburg) have been less than receptive to new comers, especailly if you happen to be a minority.

Hardin County is home to a few towns, including Elizabethtown. While Elizabethtown Independent is a good school system, it does not serve families that live outside of the actual city and, to my knowledge, no one with acreage. The southern rural part of Hardin County is served by Central Hardin High and the northern part is served mostly by North Hardin High. The elementary and middles schools that feed into those schools have similar stats to their respective high schools. Based on everything I've heard and test scores, Central is a far better school. Some of the cities served by the Central pyramid include Cecilia, White Mills, Eastview, Glendale, Sonora, Upton and parts of Elizabethtown. You can easily find property that meets your criteria in most of those places. I personally recommend around Cecilia or Glendale.

Rineyville, Radcliff, and Vine Grove are in the northern part of the county.
Oldhag, you are correct, I am not from the immediate area, but because I serve the area as a Principal Broker/Realtor, my view is simply different than yours. Note, I shared that I would refer to another agent. I think I hit the highlights pretty well. Yes, Glendale/Cecilia are excellent choices, just didn't name them. You were very detailed and accurate. Thank you, but what did we disagree on?

Old 07-25-2012, 10:09 PM

20,098 posts, read 16,015,663 times
"The entire area is in a growth mode, which also limits the number of opportunities for your particular criteria"

I don't know whether the area is in growth mode or not but the opportunities are not limited for what she wants. She will easily be able to find what she is asking for in Hardin County or some of the other surrounding counties. As someone who has been that military wife moving for the umpteenth time, I know it is very, very, very frustrating/stressful to hear you might have to settle for less than what you want -yet again- or have to expend great energy to find it. And it simply isn't true. I know what it is like to worry your budget isn't good enough, which the words limited opportunity translates to for the average person like me - hers is more than adequate. Down my little country road alone there are three places currently on the market that meet her criteria. Really, she could find a place like she is describing for less money around here if she wants.

My aim wasn't to slur on you but to let her know she'll be able to find what she wants. Sorry if it came off differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky