Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 10,296 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone...I've been reading over these posts and they seem to be pretty helpful. I'm going to be moving to the Northern Kentucky area within the next 2 months, and I was wondering what areas are the nicest to live in. I've looked at the Crestview Hills area, as well as Ft. Mitchel and Covington areas. Part of my job will be in Crestview Hills, but I'll be driving into Cincinnati a lot too.

More specifically, what apartment complexes are nice, what is the weather like (especially in the winter - I was born and raised in NJ, and I like the snow), and what kind of things are there to do in and around the area?

I appreciate any advice/help anyone is willing to give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 09:13 AM

40 posts, read 182,384 times
I would say Louisville or near there. Everything you mentioned is there.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:17 AM

40 posts, read 182,384 times
Sorry, I see that you have a job in Cinncinatti already, well then, Covington is nice & what it lacks, Natti does have. Good snow sometimes...look it up on a weather site, but its a nice place by the river and all.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:31 PM

7 posts, read 26,847 times
I live in Florence, which is 10 mins or so from Cincinnati, very nice here, I'm sure you'd love it, 10 mins from everything you need.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:09 PM

13 posts, read 62,680 times
Default Good communities

There are many good communities in Northern Kentucky, but they vary on quality depending on what you want. Covington is close in to Cincinnati, which my husband and I like, but we chose little Ludlow, on the outskirts of West Covington because we like the school district better for our kids. Before we had kids we lived in Fort Mitchell, which is very nice; housing there is on the higher end of NKy, and the school is a state powerhouse in academics and football. If you like urban more, go for Covington or Newport (that's where the Levee is, and if you don't know about that go to http://www.newportonthelevee.com/ right now). If you like more suburban middle class, go for Fort Thomas, Fort Wright or, just a tad farther out, Florence. More upscale? Fort Mitchell or Villa Hills (go far enough back in Villa Hills you'll find Reds' and Bengals' homes). Suburban-rural: Independence. There are many, many, many other little incorporated towns and villages throughout the area, and most have their benefits -- it's all in all a good place to live.

When we were first married we lived in the Van Iburg apartments in Fort Mitchell, which may now be renamed ... but they were in a pretty commercial area (next to the Drawbridge Inn) and we didn't like that aspect very much.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:28 PM

131 posts, read 578,061 times
I live in Villa Hills.. but have lived in Ft Mitchell as a renter and Loved it.
Also done Covington as a home owner. Park Hills as a home owner.. I think you might like Park Hills as a renter.. they have a lot of 2 family homes.. so it's more homey.

It depends on what you like. If you PM me, I would be happy to give you more info.

I grew up in CT and had lots of family in south Jersey.. if you are looking for certain aspects of "home" then you'll probably like some towns better then others.

I am just 10-15 few minutes from Crestview Town Center and I take the back roads from Villa down to 71 and avoid a lot of traffic when I am going downtown for business.

We live in a really nice subdivision called (I think ) Squire Valley.. but not in the very expensive part.... down the street by 2 blocks are some rental houses... we're in an area you wouldn't get to walk to a bar but it's safe and close to downtown Covington (where we'll hang out when the kids are with family)..

ok that's my two cents. if you want more, let me know.
T

Old 03-02-2008, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 17,939 times
Default Relocating to Cincy in June 2008, but want to live in N. KY

Hi gang:

Long-time watcher, first-time poster here. I accepted a federal job in Cincy in a location very near Paul Brown stadium, and having gone to school in Lexington, my friends and I occasionally visited Cincy for football and baseball games. That said, my practical knowledge of the Northern Kentucky area is fairly limited.

I know that we (me, my spouse, and my 10 year old) want to live in a location where I don't have an inordinately long drive (I currently drive 42 miles each way to work, which on a good day takes 45 minutes, but on a bad day can be 1.5 hours, and I'd like to cut it down to 30 minutes max, if possible), and yet which is relatively affordable (looking at probably $150K max given our education loans, etc.) and has good schools . . . I know, EVERYONE wants that, and understandably so.

It looks as if there are several good areas to choose from - Ft. Wright, Ft. Mitchell, Taylor Mill, Ludlow, and Covington/Newport (although the C/N schools reportedly are not rated as highly as the other areas). Even Florence would probably be a possibility, although the drive time would be increased, but that might be the trade-off I have to make in order to find something reasonable in our price range.

In some ways, it will all come down to personal preference, I know, but I would deeply appreciate any input, thoughts, suggestions, and advice you might have. If I've failed to give enough information here regarding my situation, I apologize in advance, and also want to thank you in advance for your counsel!

Appreciatively,

WD

Old 03-04-2008, 04:34 PM

156 posts, read 631,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutInLF2 View Post
More specifically, what apartment complexes are nice, what is the weather like (especially in the winter - I was born and raised in NJ, and I like the snow), and what kind of things are there to do in and around the area?

I appreciate any advice/help anyone is willing to give me!
It doesn't snow a whole lot around here, but every few years a big one comes along. I'm sure you'll like the warmer weather though being from the NE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilddog View Post
Hi gang:

Long-time watcher, first-time poster here. I accepted a federal job in Cincy in a location very near Paul Brown stadium, and having gone to school in Lexington, my friends and I occasionally visited Cincy for football and baseball games. That said, my practical knowledge of the Northern Kentucky area is fairly limited.

I know that we (me, my spouse, and my 10 year old) want to live in a location where I don't have an inordinately long drive (I currently drive 42 miles each way to work, which on a good day takes 45 minutes, but on a bad day can be 1.5 hours, and I'd like to cut it down to 30 minutes max, if possible), and yet which is relatively affordable (looking at probably $150K max given our education loans, etc.) and has good schools . . . I know, EVERYONE wants that, and understandably so.

It looks as if there are several good areas to choose from - Ft. Wright, Ft. Mitchell, Taylor Mill, Ludlow, and Covington/Newport (although the C/N schools reportedly are not rated as highly as the other areas). Even Florence would probably be a possibility, although the drive time would be increased, but that might be the trade-off I have to make in order to find something reasonable in our price range.

In some ways, it will all come down to personal preference, I know, but I would deeply appreciate any input, thoughts, suggestions, and advice you might have. If I've failed to give enough information here regarding my situation, I apologize in advance, and also want to thank you in advance for your counsel!

Appreciatively,

WD
All the places you mentioned are within a few miles of the stadiums. I personally like areas on the east side a little better. Ft. Thomas has some of the state's best schools, but can be expensive. I really like Taylor Mill and I feel like i've seen good deals in the area in your range. Covington / Newport have a more urban feel and are more expensive, while Taylor Mill and places a bit over the first hill are more suburban. Generally, the farther you get out, the better deals you can find as you prob. know. You might check outside Florence too- also try Wilder ... It sounds like Taylor Mill might be a great fit though.

As far as travel times, it's all about traffic. Theoretically, if there is no traffic, you could commute from Lexington in an hour or so. Obviously a lot of people commute over the bridges for work though, so you will be held up a bit more than that. If you are close to outside of 275, you shouldn't be more than 30-35 minutes with traffic (15 without). Closer to the freeway and inside 275 will only be closer. Also farther west will hold you back a bit. Taylor Mill is East side, but on the edge 275- that should take 20-30 over the bridge on average with traffic. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 17,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyUK View Post
It doesn't snow a whole lot around here, but every few years a big one comes along. I'm sure you'll like the warmer weather though being from the NE.

All the places you mentioned are within a few miles of the stadiums. I personally like areas on the east side a little better. Ft. Thomas has some of the state's best schools, but can be expensive. I really like Taylor Mill and I feel like i've seen good deals in the area in your range. Covington / Newport have a more urban feel and are more expensive, while Taylor Mill and places a bit over the first hill are more suburban. Generally, the farther you get out, the better deals you can find as you prob. know. You might check outside Florence too- also try Wilder ... It sounds like Taylor Mill might be a great fit though.

As far as travel times, it's all about traffic. Theoretically, if there is no traffic, you could commute from Lexington in an hour or so. Obviously a lot of people commute over the bridges for work though, so you will be held up a bit more than that. If you are close to outside of 275, you shouldn't be more than 30-35 minutes with traffic (15 without). Closer to the freeway and inside 275 will only be closer. Also farther west will hold you back a bit. Taylor Mill is East side, but on the edge 275- that should take 20-30 over the bridge on average with traffic. Good luck.
----------

Many thanks, CincyUK. It stinks how we (UK) got bounced from the tournament so quickly this year, but maybe things will be better next year.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:58 PM

30 posts, read 136,428 times
FWIW, I've found that getting downtown from Independence is faster than Florence because KY-17 to Kyles Lane to I-75 is faster than I-75 all the way. Sometimes I skip I-75 altogether and cruise KY-17 all the way across the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky