Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 PM

11,010 posts, read 17,383,046 times

Advertisements

Mayfield. I was born and raised there, born in '56 and left in '78. Moved back this summer. Mayfield is in the center of the Jackson Purchase, a portion of the land purchased from the Chickasaw Indians by Andrew Jackson and Isaac Shelby in 1818. The "Purchase" stretches from the Mississippi River to the Tennessee River.

This Months Issue - KentuckyLiving Magazine - Kentucky Living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 01:36 PM

8 posts, read 10,038 times
Default West KY places to move to

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
If I'm ever in the same restaurant as you and it's one that give you grits with whatever you eat (glad there's not one around here! lol) I'll be glad you let you have my grits. I aint eating them! lol
I won't put a plug in for my area since you're looking east. Just wanted to joke with you about the grits. lol
Go ahead, plug your area, I might have heard of it.
Where is Pearl of Purchase?
I might be relocating to about halfway between Monkey's Eyerbrow and Possum Trot.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:20 PM

11,010 posts, read 17,383,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Neptune View Post
Go ahead, plug your area, I might have heard of it.
Where is Pearl of Purchase?
I might be relocating to about halfway between Monkey's Eyebrow and Possum Trot.
Bubba, check my post right above yours. Mayfield has the nickname of the Pearl of the Purchase.
Between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow, huh? Wouldn't happen to be talking about Paducah would you? lol Don't know if you were old enough to watch much of Johnny Carson but Doc Severinson gave several concerts in Paducah. I went to a couple of them and he was great! But he and Johnny would joke every night about it. Johnny always asked him where Paducah was and he would tell him between Monkey's Eyebrow and Possum Trot. lol
Between Mayfield and Murray are the towns of Stella and Coldwater. In WWII my dad told his Army buddies the he knew of a town where you could scald a hog in Coldwater. lol

Old 09-28-2012, 05:47 AM

8 posts, read 10,038 times
KYGMAN I was born in Hickman in 1939 enlisted USN 1957 and spent 30 months of my first 48 month enlistment deployed to Japan, Hong Kong and beautiful downtown Olongapo,RP.

Gum Corners is between Wickliffe and Barlow at the intersection of 1280 and 60.

Shuck's Switch is near Crutchfield and I think the name came from a RR siding near the Shuck Farm.
My Grandpa had a store on 94, Wolberton's Store. Hwy 51 whatever it was 150 years ago "T'd" at 94 at the store, so Wolberton's Corner it had to be. Hwy 51 got curved when they built the RR viaduct. Some folks called the intersection Wolberton's Corner but it was not at the store then.

The average depth of a "holler" according to Randy Travis is 42 feet.

I have never been real clear on the difference between a "gully" and a "holler".
I think a big rain, a "gully washer" washes out a gully then when it gets big and trees grow in it and it don't wash out anymore it becomes a holler. Am I close?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky