Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:28 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,793,028 times

Advertisements

I'd love to hear from anyone who moved to KY to retire. There are a lot of positives, such as low utility costs, beautiful natural scenery, charming towns, moderate cost of living. Any thoughts? Of course there are downsides too. Would love to hear from anyone who made the move to KY for retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 08:39 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,738,227 times
Kentucky had a nice enough place to rent that was available and cost less than Ohio, which is/was also bogged down in bureaucracy.

If Ohio had no bureaucracy, high cost, waiting list, and maybe a few other things, I would probably be on the other side of the river and maybe a point or two north.

At age 75 I guess I'm retired (like it or not) and I'm in Kentucky.

The pad (which is about 10% displaced Ohioans) is okay, most (not all) of the people are as nice as can be, there's some neat stuff around like free computer lessons (not found in Ohio). The cops are friendly and the safety forces seem efficient. If I need country or metropolis, neither is very far away, although metropolis is within a few blocks as the crow flies.

If you want a perfect place to retire, I doubt if there is one. If you are not familiar with a city manager form of government, you may have a little adjustment problem.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:07 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,776,292 times
Check in to Murray, Kentucky, which consistently ranks high in retirement studies.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:22 PM

407 posts, read 1,259,171 times
We moved to Kentucky last year to retire and will never leave. Our utility costs are low. Highest electric bill in the hot summer was 139.00 and that is running the air conditioner at 78, 3 computers that are on 24/7, cook stove, and hot water heater. It cost us about 80.00 a week for groceries for the two of us and we eat well. The scenery here at Lake Cumberland is gorgeous. The only down side I can think of is no book store, but, Amazon works for me. Berea is one of the most charming towns in Kentucky I believe. But, I am into arts and crafts and it is only about an hour from us. Kentucky is America's best kept secret and if you do move here for retirement, please don't tell anyone else.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:25 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,995,807 times
We retired 3 years ago to Prospect, KY and we really love it. We lived near the beach in Southern California for most of our lives. There are so many things about KY we like - the natural beauty, the nice people, the cheaper cost of living, the quality of life, peace and quiet, etc. It was a very good move for us.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:28 PM

11,019 posts, read 17,405,692 times
Beilart, you would run my wife out of the house with the thermometer set at 78. Because of a health condition she has she would be sweating. Ours is set at 68 all summer long. We live in an all electric home and our bill averages $200 all summer long.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:01 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,871,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Beilart, you would run my wife out of the house with the thermometer set at 78. Because of a health condition she has she would be sweating. Ours is set at 68 all summer long. We live in an all electric home and our bill averages $200 all summer long.

My mom keeps hers at 78. We REFUSE to go to her home because of it. We HAVE to keep it at 73. I can't sleep at night when it's hot as hell in the house. We must have the same size home, because our bill is running a bit over $200 this summer. God intended for us to have A/C and I am going to use it!!! LOL

Old 08-25-2011, 10:24 PM

Yes, He certainly did. We have a small 14x78 mobile out by Lake Cumberland so our bill is probably a bit higher since mobiles are not insulated as well as most traditional homes. We stay pretty cool and run the ceiling fans.

Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
My mom keeps hers at 78. We REFUSE to go to her home because of it. We HAVE to keep it at 73. I can't sleep at night when it's hot as hell in the house. We must have the same size home, because our bill is running a bit over $200 this summer. God intended for us to have A/C and I am going to use it!!! LOL

Old 08-26-2011, 01:16 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,127,429 times
Check out Bowling Green. It ranks in the top 100 best cities to retire to in the US. Cost of living is relatively low, we have tons of beautiful parks, 7 golf courses, 8 frisbee golf courses, 2 performing arts centers, a large university, two hospitals and several medical clinics, a new baseball stadium and minor league baseball, and we are about an hour from downtown Nashville.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:37 AM

And don't forget the covette museum. which I personally think is pretty awesome. My 8 year old grand daughter thinks so as well since she got to sit in a fancy corevette and have tons of photos taken. She even picked out the one she wants grandma to buy for her. Poor little disadvantaged grandchild. No vette for her, grandma first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Check out Bowling Green. It ranks in the top 100 best cities to retire to in the US. Cost of living is relatively low, we have tons of beautiful parks, 7 golf courses, 8 frisbee golf courses, 2 performing arts centers, a large university, two hospitals and several medical clinics, a new baseball stadium and minor league baseball, and we are about an hour from downtown Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky