U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 01:08 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,537,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I laughed a little when I read your Fortune 500 comment, thinking of a man I know very well who has Eastern Kentucky roots. He, with his imperfect grammar, being featured in Forbes magazine. He, with his imperfect grammar, working with major universities to set up programs in the innovative field in which he worked. He, as a guest lecturer in business and engineering classes met, not with snickers about his grammar, but questions about content. He, who received a phone call from one of the most recognizable figures in the computer industry, offering a job for which he never applied.

No doubt, we use different registers when talking to different people, but some "errors" are so ingrained that they slip in from time to time. However, I have witnessed a situation where a few "I seen" and other grammatical errors didn't matter. At least not to those at the top of their field and those in academia. Maybe they are the truly educated ones. I know they are the truly successful ones.

Some say this is the last prejudice for which there hasn't been much public education, and I'd like to see that happen.
I would like to again state that I am in no way calling anyone stupid or saying that bad grammar is a sign of lesser intelligence. I am just pointing out the prejudice that you speak of. Well established well educated people can overcome this stigma, as well as people who stay in Kentucky, but what about the recent college grad who has to move away to find work in an extremely competitive job market. "I seen" could be enough to eliminate them from contention in many places outside of Kentucky whether that's right or wrong.

My college algebra professor is a perfect example. One day while explaining an equation he said "A and B is" and stopped himself. He was from Pikeville, and although a very intelligent man, he had heard "is" used in the plural his whole life therefore it sounded correct to him. Not a big deal, it didn't cost him his job or cripple him economically, but I just found it to be interesting that college educated intelligent people use bad grammar almost unknowingly. just an observation.

once again, not calling anyone stupid, just saying that bad grammar can be a detriment in the job market whether people here want to admit it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 01:37 PM

1,771 posts, read 3,283,469 times
The person I spoke of was not well-educated and was based far away from the state of Kentucky. Travels for his job were national and international. So, his experiences weren't in the shelter of home folks.

Those who are practicing prejudice bear responsibility for examining their own beliefs and stereotypes, just as surely as those who are making their way in this world need to develop or capitalize on marketable skills. I think we, as Kentuckians, need to speak up about the former as much as you think we should speak up about the latter.

I once had a professor who stuttered badly. He was highly-esteemed in his field. Content and research mattered...I'm glad he didn't stay home due to the detriment a fluency disorder might present in the minds of some. Likewise, if a professor had said "Occasionally, I will make errors in subject/verb agreement or past tense irregular verbs due to regional dialect", that would have been that. No one would have been surprised or bothered by it.

Last edited by capcat; 07-28-2013 at 01:52 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 02:27 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,819,266 times
The thinking in my neck of the woods? If you are dumb enough to judge anyone by their accent, you are too dumb to associate with. You can fix an accent, but you can't fix dumb.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
The thinking in my neck of the woods? If you are dumb enough to judge anyone by their accent, you are too dumb to associate with. You can fix an accent, but you can't fix dumb.
Well, my roots go back over two hundred years in your neck of the woods, so I'm with ya'. But even if I didn't have ties to the area, my own field would cause me to want to educate those who prejudge on the basis of culture and language differences.

Last edited by capcat; 07-28-2013 at 03:08 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 03:34 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,819,266 times
Well, Capcat, you would be in the minority here, right along with me. Too bad. Wish others could understand our point of view. Ever notice that when posts are not politically correct, they are closed on this board"

Old 07-28-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Well, Capcat, you would be in the minority here, right along with me. Too bad. Wish others could understand our point of view. Ever notice that when posts are not politically correct, they are closed on this board"
That's okay...I'm fine with being in the minority, though I'm pretty sure I'm in good company. And, I agree. I think the message that we would bring to this is still misunderstood. I have a beautiful piece on this, written by an "accomplished" woman from Eastern Kentucky. I wouldn't post her work here, but she gets to the heart of the matter regarding not losing yourself and outspoken pride in your heritage in the process of going out in the world and making your way.

But, back to the general topic of Kentucky accents.

Last edited by capcat; 07-28-2013 at 05:19 PM..

Old 08-02-2013, 01:02 PM

19 posts, read 31,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmom2md View Post
I've always loved the strong southern accent of kentucky, Just the other day I ran into a lady who was in her 60s from louisville and had a very strong northern accent. I was wondering if Louisville had more of a northern accent then the rest of kentucky which has a very strong southern accent. Also if you keep going north or north east out of the city is the accent northern or southern? To me kentucky accent is very strange from one extream to the other.
Louisville is growing and a lot of people from other areas are moving in now.. UPS is headquartered here, Amazon has a presence, and many other well known companies have been moving in over the year.

It varies by region though, overall southern accent though.

I work at a foundation repair company in elizabethtown, and the owner is from Chicago with a northern accent. Rest of the crew is from Louisville and mostly southern accents.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:02 PM

14 posts, read 20,704 times
Default Veggienut

That was a funny post you wrote about the accents. Gave me a good laugh.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:18 PM

8,200 posts, read 13,692,620 times
We have friends in Cadiz that the husband is stationed at Ft. Campbell, Ky. and they are living in my step daughter and son-in-law's house while they are stationed in Hawaii. She is from Germany and took a test today to enroll in classes at Hopkinsville Community College. She posted on facebook today that she made 94/100 on her English. Told her I was getting her used to the area and I also told her "way to go on that thar test!" lol She said she's going to have to get used to the language because her husband is retiring from the Army in 2 years and they are settling in the Cadiz area and she "needs to know what people are saying". lol

Old 10-30-2013, 07:49 PM

26 posts, read 55,600 times
louisville from what i remember didnt have many southern accents around. im from western kentucky and had a friend from colorado say my accent was "really bad" (really southern), and i thought so too until going to paducah. its only maybe an hour and a half away, and OMG you talk about southern.. even with that short of a distance! geez!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky