U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 08:49 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,832,247 times

Advertisements

Generally southern, very similar to Tennessee that gets heavier the further south, east and west you travel..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 10:25 PM

65 posts, read 93,643 times
Its funny how yankees and "strive to talk like a yankee" Southerners love to bash a Southern accent, but I can't think of a more ignorant soundin accent then a new yawker, or someone from Joisey, Bhaston and a few other yankee states. The negative Southern accent stigma is 100% pop culture created and in this day and age of the low information pop culture voter, they tend to get their way. Don't believe me, think of the last time you heard a positive thing said about a Southern white male in a film or a Southern accent portrayed as pleasant like good ole Rhett Butlers?

Old 07-14-2014, 10:40 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,572,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiada View Post
louisville from what i remember didnt have many southern accents around. im from western kentucky and had a friend from colorado say my accent was "really bad" (really southern), and i thought so too until going to paducah. its only maybe an hour and a half away, and OMG you talk about southern.. even with that short of a distance! geez!
Paducah's more like four hours from Louisville, but your point is well taken.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Paducah's more like four hours from Louisville, but your point is well taken.
Thats the way it feels all over Kentucky, even northern Kentucky. Some folks have a heavier southern twang than others. My family all in the Owensboro area all talks with a heavy southern twang, my mom not so much anymore, but she lives in Fl now and hasnt lived in Kentucky in more than 30 years. However, its still there a little bit.
In Louisville youll run into alot of folks from anywhere, but generally anyone born and raised in Louisville or Lexington or Ky in general will have a little bit of an accent.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:21 AM

4,542 posts, read 7,864,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillWilliam View Post
Its funny how yankees and "strive to talk like a yankee" Southerners love to bash a Southern accent, but I can't think of a more ignorant soundin accent then a new yawker, or someone from Joisey, Bhaston and a few other yankee states. The negative Southern accent stigma is 100% pop culture created and in this day and age of the low information pop culture voter, they tend to get their way. Don't believe me, think of the last time you heard a positive thing said about a Southern white male in a film or a Southern accent portrayed as pleasant like good ole Rhett Butlers?
Rhett Butler, at least as played by Ohio native Clark Gable, didn't have a southern accent. He didn't even pretend to try to speak like a native of Charleston, SC, which is what Rhett Butler was supposed to have been.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Rhett Butler, at least as played by Ohio native Clark Gable, didn't have a southern accent. He didn't even pretend to try to speak like a native of Charleston, SC, which is what Rhett Butler was supposed to have been.
point taken but like I said, when are Southern white males portrayed as anything but inbred racist nitwits in the movies and on tv anymore?

Old 07-21-2014, 08:01 AM

11,004 posts, read 9,216,575 times
Quote:
point taken but like I said, when are Southern white males portrayed as anything but inbred racist nitwits in the movies and on tv anymore?

"The Waltons" portrayed white Southerners - and mountain folk, at that - very respectfully.

More currently, the men of ABC's "Nashville" are all portrayed respectfully, even the "bad guys", whose flaws are not related to their regional background.

However, I agree that in real life, all too often Southerners (of all races and both genders) have to deal with negative stereotypes and initial prejudice in general from people from outside the South who have little personal knowledge or experience of the South and Southerners.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
"The Waltons" portrayed white Southerners - and mountain folk, at that - very respectfully.

More currently, the men of ABC's "Nashville" are all portrayed respectfully, even the "bad guys", whose flaws are not related to their regional background.

However, I agree that in real life, all too often Southerners (of all races and both genders) have to deal with negative stereotypes and initial prejudice in general from people from outside the South who have little personal knowledge or experience of the South and Southerners.

Very true and quite unfortunate

My mom who is from Hancock County Kentucky one time when she was a teenager drove up to Peoria in northern Illinois for the 1st time, it was her 1st and only roadtrip ever and they took a bus up there. In those days in the late 50's, John Deere and Caterpillar were hiring alot of Tennesseans and Kentuckians to come up north around Chicago to work in those factories.....a few in my family were no exception as one of my great uncles and aunts went up there.

Anyways my mom told me when she got there that all of the kids made fun of her for her "twangy Kentucky accent" and also kept asking her why she was wearing shoes? So my mom said; Well I thought everyone wears shoes don't they? And they told her that they were told that Kentuckians were just poor hillbillies that couldn't afford to buy shoes and ran around bearfoot. My mom, being only 12 years old....ran back to the house that my great aunt and uncle just bought crying and wouldn't go outside to be around the neighborhood kids for the rest of the trip. That stayed with her for the rest of her life.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:19 PM

when was the waltons last on? lol

Old 07-25-2014, 06:15 PM

149 posts, read 149,519 times
Quote:
HillWilliam, You hurt this NYer's feelings! I actually appreciate the culture down in Kentucky. My Wife and I are actually waiting to close on a home in Mayfield and can't wait to get down there permanently! I've always enjoyed the southern accent and find it to be "relaxing" for lack of a better word! We've been to KY. quite a few times when our Sons were younger as my Wife's Grandparents were actually from SW KY.!
I can tell you, this is one NYer that realizes how hard folks down south work, and can certainly appreciate the sense of Family pride! Those traits are actually what has made us decide to spend our retirement years in SW KY.! I don't know, maybe we are not the norm! I can tell you that all the guys at my sportsmen's club envy us right now because we are moving to Kentucky!

Who knows, one day we may bump into each other and you might think; this guy certainly doesn't seem like a yankee!

Incidentally, I'm from Western NY, a TOTALLY different area than those "downstaters"!! For what it's worth, the downstate accent makes us want to puke too!!

MO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky