U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2012, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Seattle
91 posts, read 124,430 times
Reputation: 86

Advertisements

I was born and raised in BG, and moved away about 12 years ago. The town has since grown tremendously. One pressing issue is the lack of an airline. Even just one daily flight to Chicago would be great. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2013, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Bowling Green
3 posts, read 10,158 times
Reputation: 10
There has been rumors that BGKY may get daily flights to Atlanta via Delta. I keep praying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 09:53 AM
 
Location: The Bluegrass State
355 posts, read 686,127 times
Reputation: 223
Well Pikeville did just get daily air service to Nashville, so there may be hope for Bowling Green
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Florida
4,909 posts, read 4,385,090 times
Reputation: 10953
So close to Nashville I would be surprised if they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,114 posts, read 9,575,080 times
Reputation: 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
Well Pikeville did just get daily air service to Nashville, so there may be hope for Bowling Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
So close to Nashville I would be surprised if they did.
Hmmmm...

That makes Paducah, Owensboro, Louisville, Lexington, northern Kentucky, and Pikeville (as of 2014) the state's commercial passenger airports. Six isn't bad for Kentucky's geographic size and having a notably smaller population than all of its surrounding states other than West Virginia. Owensboro is already close to Evansville, still a tiny regional airport but like a hub in comparison to Owensboro! Paducah and Pikeville are isolated enough to draw from their own regions.

There have been efforts and rumors floating about Somerset, London, Bowling Green, and Elizabethtown also getting commercial air service. They each have the facilities to support service. That said:
- BG is too close to Nashville
- E'town is too close to Louisville
- Somerset is kinda isolated but still just close enough to Lexington.
- London is between Lexington and Knoxville, but here's the thing: it's the heart of the Somerset-London-Corbin (Cumberland Falls) region which has been steadily growing until recently, and it's at the convergence of I-75 and two parkways. It would make the most sense to bring air service in Kentucky to London next--logistically the most feasible. London has already even had air service, discontinued in the 1980s I think.

Now, if Warren (BG) or Hardin (E'town/Fort Knox) Counties grow to have 150,000+ people in the next decade or two, then we can talk air service. For now, probably not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 11:57 PM
 
6,832 posts, read 14,410,907 times
Reputation: 3216
I am sorry, but this is the problem with KY's rural based politicians.

Instead of adding a flight to KY's largest city in Louisville which has plenty of connections, or the state's largest airport in NKY which lost its hub but has even more connections, they chose to fly to Nashville from Pikeville.

I am beginning to think Southern and Eastern KY should be referred to as Nashvilletucky.

Don't get me wrong. Nashville is a great city. But if Pikeville wants to add daily service 1.5 hours out of state, it should have been Atlanta. If not, feed passengers into your own state. Instead of learning from TN and making Pikeville into a better version of Gatlinburg (anyone who has really traveled knows the mountains of EKY are much more unspoiled and less commercialized than the heavily traveled East TN), KY again has this export mentality. Ditto that for lacking casinos while KY residents pump millions into every state around it. KY is a sleeping economic giant if it would only wake up. It has the natural resources, the natural beauty, and some of the greatest people I have ever met. However, the backwards, agrarian minded politics must end. Ok rant ended

As to the topic, I think BG could definitely support daily flights to Atlanta, but that may be 10 years out. It may be better to wait 10-15 years and try to get daily flights to ATL plus maybe Chicago, NY, or FL as well. Speaking of BG, I would like to see its residents be more connected with Louisville and Lexington versus always running down to Nashville. For example, residents of S. Indiana, while strongly associated with Louisville, really look towards Indianapolis as their "big city." I think the same must happen in KY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2013, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Eastern Kentucky Proud
912 posts, read 1,355,096 times
Reputation: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I am sorry, but this is the problem with KY's rural based politicians.

Instead of adding a flight to KY's largest city in Louisville which has plenty of connections, or the state's largest airport in NKY which lost its hub but has even more connections, they chose to fly to Nashville from Pikeville.

I am beginning to think Southern and Eastern KY should be referred to as Nashvilletucky.

Don't get me wrong. Nashville is a great city. But if Pikeville wants to add daily service 1.5 hours out of state, it should have been Atlanta. If not, feed passengers into your own state. Instead of learning from TN and making Pikeville into a better version of Gatlinburg (anyone who has really traveled knows the mountains of EKY are much more unspoiled and less commercialized than the heavily traveled East TN), KY again has this export mentality. Ditto that for lacking casinos while KY residents pump millions into every state around it. KY is a sleeping economic giant if it would only wake up. It has the natural resources, the natural beauty, and some of the greatest people I have ever met. However, the backwards, agrarian minded politics must end. Ok rant ended

As to the topic, I think BG could definitely support daily flights to Atlanta, but that may be 10 years out. It may be better to wait 10-15 years and try to get daily flights to ATL plus maybe Chicago, NY, or FL as well. Speaking of BG, I would like to see its residents be more connected with Louisville and Lexington versus always running down to Nashville. For example, residents of S. Indiana, while strongly associated with Louisville, really look towards Indianapolis as their "big city." I think the same must happen in KY.
"I am beginning to think Southern and Eastern KY should be referred to as Nashvilletucky." <---- which tells me, at some point in time Louisville needs to as the question----> Hum...are WE the problem?!

I have flown from all three and Louisville is the least attractive, on almost all levels.

No...we don't need another new and improved Gatlinburg in Eastern Kentucky.

Most everywhere else like Atlanta, Nashville, and even Northern Kentucky Looks at Pikeville, and Eastern Kentucky as a whole, as just another town/place, unlike Louisville, looking at Pikeville/Eastern Kentucky as that Hillbilly, Redheaded Stepchild (no offence) place in the Mountains of Eastern Kentucky that we don't want any part of. I refuse to subject myself to the disrespect (after they learn where I'm from) when I can go somewhere else. Heck, Bowling Green might feel the same way. Fact is, there ain't nothing special about Louisville but, they (Louisville)ain't figured that out yet.

The next Commercial flight out of Kentucky will be to Atlanta and it won't be from Bowling Green, it will be from a little farther East.

I foresee a huge push for Eastern Kentucky (economically) starting real soon, and, somehow I don't see Louisville as being a part of it. Ye know why? I got a crystal ball.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2013, 10:38 AM
 
Location: In the Pearl of the Purchase, Ky
8,209 posts, read 13,698,886 times
Reputation: 33832
Here in western Ky. I know people who would rather drive to Nashville to fly instead of flying out of Paducah. And going a little south east of here, don't forget people from the Henderson/Owensboro and surrounding area will fly out of Evansville, In.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2013, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Eastern Kentucky Proud
912 posts, read 1,355,096 times
Reputation: 937
I had rather drive to Atlanta, Nashville or Northern Kentucky than fly to Louisville. Setting aside the fact that Louisville doesn't respect anyone or anything from Eastern Kentucky...louisville just doesn't serve a practical purpose for most of Kentucky.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2013, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,114 posts, read 9,575,080 times
Reputation: 3379
I've long advocated that the Commonwealth of Kentucky should do everything it can to bolster Louisville and northern Kentucky as those are the state's two major urban and economic centers. Having said that, I'm also happy that Pikeville is getting air service and I think they deserve it; northern Kentucky (Kenton County Airport Board) also completely screwed itself over by allowing Delta to have basically the greatest monopoly on a single major airport in the nation...until Delta changed course.

With all that outta the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
I had rather drive to Atlanta, Nashville or Northern Kentucky than fly to Louisville. Setting aside the fact that Louisville doesn't respect anyone or anything from Eastern Kentucky...louisville just doesn't serve a practical purpose for most of Kentucky.

This agrarian mentality is why I left Kentucky. Yes, Louisville does tend to look down on the rest of Kentucky, but without it, the state would be Mississippi north! It does have several Fortune 500 companies, a strong manufacturing sector in an era when manufacturing is still reeling from major cutbacks in this country, a major river port, one of the world's busiest cargo air facilities at Louisville International Airport, IU-Southeast (arguably the best university in the metropolitan area and part of the world-renowned IU system), and a very slowly blossoming tech sector that even some people here in California are beginning to notice.

I'll give Pikeville--and London, Morehead and maybe even Somerset (my opinion of it also notwithstanding)--credit for something: TRYING. These might be the only towns in eastern Kentucky seriously making noble attempts to improve their towns. But Pikeville having a small airport, a small college of medicine and three Walmarts within a half hour drive do not a hub make.

When horse racing (really just central Kentucky) and UK basketball (with a few UofL fans sprinkled in) comprise the culture of a state of more than 4.2 million people, y'all certainly have a long way to go before being, uhmmm...sophisticated and able to change the status quo. And to me, that's sad.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 11-10-2013 at 12:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top