Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:22 PM

94 posts, read 236,366 times

Advertisements

I will say, I moved out of KY 4 years ago, and while I never really fit in here (I'm in KY at this moment, actually), I still call myself a Kentuckian and a Southerner. I'm a liberal and I can't drive so my little bitty hometown wasn't the happiest place for me, ever. But at the same time, Kentucky is always "home." My family (both sides, all branches) has been in McLean County since before the Civil War, many fought for the Union in the local regiments, and I'm very proud of my family and history and "roots."

I've found this with a lot of southerners and southern states. There's a "southern pride" thing that we all seem to be born with, no matter where we go or what our political views are. Southerners tend to be proud of their roots. It's something I love about being southern, myself. :-)

Also, Lexington is lovely! You'll love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 08:52 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,212,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicia105 View Post
Im sure all of Kentucky is lovely. I just need some space, some fresh air, blue skies, lots of horses, a newer, larger home in an area with low crime, good schools, Catholic churches and conservative people. Im open to anywhere I can find that in your state in a place that a Jersey girl and her family would be accepted
Louisville has a much more embedded Catholic tradition than Lexington does, with many Catholic churches from which to choose. Louisville also has one of the oldest Catholic Archdiocese in the country. If that is important to you, you might want to consider looking at Louisville more closely.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:27 PM

12 posts, read 35,270 times
Hi everyone! Have a few questions, if you don't mind please! I am a born & raised New Jerseyean who moved to Florida, 2 1/2 years ago! Decided this isn't my cup of tea anymore lol..so looking to possibly relocate to Ky, I have a couple of pleasure horses, and would like to rent something with a few acres to keep the horses on..how is Berea, as far as cost of living & availability? Or could anyone suggest another area for me to check out? Thank you

Old 12-25-2012, 01:12 AM

14,756 posts, read 8,090,641 times
You were mentioning Oldham Country I believe earlier Alicia, here is an interesting thread for you.

//www.city-data.com/forum/louis...am-county.html

Old 12-26-2012, 05:27 PM

302 posts, read 629,440 times
You guys are great with giving me information. Youve made it so easy to fine tune where Im looking. What a great bunch of people!

Old 12-26-2012, 09:39 PM

14,756 posts, read 8,090,641 times
I love Oldham County Alicia, but Lexington and the Bluegrass Region of Kentucky are still my favorites!

Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 AM

728 posts, read 1,675,845 times
Quote:
Im sure all of Kentucky is lovely. I just need some space, some fresh air, blue skies, lots of horses, a newer, larger home in an area with low crime, good schools, Catholic churches and conservative people. Im open to anywhere I can find that in your state in a place that a Jersey girl and her family would be accepted

Nelson County. It's about 30 miles south of Louisville, very nice and quaint county seat of Bardstown. A fairly strong Catholic presence there. A very cool and neat monastery, Gethsamane, is nestled in the hills of Nelson county. There is even a Catholic school system there, with several elementary schools and a High school, Bethlehem. I have a cousin who lives in nearby Bloomfield (another neat small town in Nelson co), she teaches school there and loves Nelson co

Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
Nelson County. It's about 30 miles south of Louisville, very nice and quaint county seat of Bardstown. A fairly strong Catholic presence there. A very cool and neat monastery, Gethsamane, is nestled in the hills of Nelson county. There is even a Catholic school system there, with several elementary schools and a High school, Bethlehem. I have a cousin who lives in nearby Bloomfield (another neat small town in Nelson co), she teaches school there and loves Nelson co
I really like the looks of Bardstown. Ive been researching it for awhile and got some info from the chamber of commerce. I like that I can get some land and a newer home but not be too isolated, I think its 52% Catholic and they have that lovely cathedral. There are plenty of stores around so Im told and horse farms.I like that its within an hour of Louisville or Lexington. Definitely at the top of my list

Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 AM

728 posts, read 1,675,845 times
Quote:
I really like the looks of Bardstown. Ive been researching it for awhile and got some info from the chamber of commerce. I like that I can get some land and a newer home but not be too isolated, I think its 52% Catholic and they have that lovely cathedral. There are plenty of stores around so Im told and horse farms.I like that its within an hour of Louisville or Lexington. Definitely at the top of my list
The Catholic schools are ran by the Archdiocese of Louisville
Find a School | Archdiocese of Louisville

And it looks like the Archdiocese lists eight parishes in Nelson County. Outside of Louisville, that's a high amount considering Kentucky is, by and large, Protestant. Find a Parish | Archdiocese of Louisville

Here is a link to Gethsamane. It is a beautiful place and they allow and encourage visitors. The Abbey of Gethsemani

Old 12-27-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
The Catholic schools are ran by the Archdiocese of Louisville
Find a School | Archdiocese of Louisville

And it looks like the Archdiocese lists eight parishes in Nelson County. Outside of Louisville, that's a high amount considering Kentucky is, by and large, Protestant. Find a Parish | Archdiocese of Louisville

Here is a link to Gethsamane. It is a beautiful place and they allow and encourage visitors. The Abbey of Gethsemani
You read my mind! I actually did the same math and figured 8 churches in one county is pretty good!! The Abbey looks lovely! and I see they have a farm too and sell things homemade to help them. I love that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky