Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 06:23 PM

302 posts, read 629,475 times

Advertisements

Actually sometimes in NJ we say "yous" LOL! Its a very NYC thing! Well not any more. I dont even recognize the city. Its filled with every nationality, foreign tongue and very upper class. The old NYC filled with Italian and Irish immigrants from Ellis Island has been dead a while. But sometimes we will say "what are yous doing?" instead of "what are you guys doing"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 09:57 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Okay, here are the grammatical rules for the correct use of "you all", or "y'all":

1. "You all" is plural.

2. The only time "you all" is addressed towards one individual is in reference to a group to which that individual belongs: "Are you all coming over for dinner on Sunday?" would refer to the addressee and his or her family or usual companion(s). "Y'all did a great job with your vegetable garden this year". "What did you all think about the Cats last night?" would again refer to whoever watched the game (i.e., UK basketball) with the addressee the previous evening.

3. "Y'all" is spelled "y'all", not "yall, "ya'll" or any variation thereof. "You all" is not hyphenated. "You-all" is sometimes seen in print, but is incorrect.

4. You'll sometimes encounter the phrase "all of you all", as in, "Are all of y'all going to Uncle Joe's house next Friday night?" The answer might be, "Yes, everybody's planning to go", or "No, Aunt Jane can't make it". "All of you all" refers to a group in its entirety, and is used for clarity.

5. The possessive of "you all" is "y'all's, or "your alls". As in "Is this coat one of y'all's? It got left behind at Uncle Joe's last Friday".

There are probably some rules I fail to remember, so the rest of y'all are welcome to add any I forgot.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:28 AM

So many rules! Ill stick with " you guys" there are no rules lol!

Old 12-17-2012, 01:38 PM

I forgot to add that if you break the "you all" rules while in Kentucky, you are forbidden to eat hot browns, benedictine cheese, spoonbread, burgoo, beer cheese, lamb fries, and bourbon balls, and are not allowed to drink Ale 8-One or mint juleps, until the next Derby Week rolls around.

Then you are allowed all of these Kentucky "treats", but you must indulge only while wearing a Derby hat (which is not the same as a derby hat) and while singing "My Old Kentucky Home", followed by "Camptown Races".

Welcome to Kentucky! ;-)

Old 12-17-2012, 03:08 PM

I can handle the buying a fancy hat part...the rest, Im not sure. Will eating a slice of Derby Pie suffice

Old 12-17-2012, 08:59 PM

Nope, gotta sing you (all) some Stephen Foster! But the hat's a good start...

Old 12-18-2012, 09:10 AM

Luckily I already know some of the words from watching the Derby every year!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:50 PM

72 posts, read 297,201 times
I haven't posted on this site in ages...ladyalicia, I currently live in Lexington. Moved here from southern Kentucky this past July, where we lived for 5 years. Thought you might like a non-Lexingtonian opinion of the place ( which I like very much, btw...), coming from someone who has lived in many different areas of the country ...but I spent many, many years in Jersey and the Philly area, so I do understand that culture as well.

I rent here, currently, and can perhaps give you my experiences with the various neighborhoods and what I've discovered as a newbie of sorts. Email me if you wish, I am louisianamoon2000@yahoo.com

zara

Old 12-18-2012, 05:16 PM

zarabeth, you may want to delete your email and send LadyAlicia a PM instead, for safety's sake. Lots of people who are not members and/or who never post read these forums...

Old 12-18-2012, 05:29 PM

Zara, Id be happy to chat with you. Ill send an email
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky