Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:49 AM

302 posts, read 629,652 times

Advertisements

And let me add, speaking only about Italy, they take about 60% of your pay. Then you get free healthcare. So technically you DO pay for it. This is socialized medicine. Take more from your paycheck in order to provide healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Default It may be expensive, but nothing compared to the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicia105 View Post
And let me add, speaking only about Italy, they take about 60% of your pay. Then you get free healthcare. So technically you DO pay for it. This is socialized medicine. Take more from your paycheck in order to provide healthcare.
Well, all these other countries may have socialized medicine, but if you look at health outcomes, theirs are all better than ours (except maybe Sweden, I'm not certain), and all of them, with comparison in U.S. dollars are cheaper than us. Italy is actually pretty far down on the list.

Health Spending Per Capita:
Exhibit 1 shows per capita health expenditures for 2008 in U.S. dollars purchasing power parity. Health spending per capita in the United States is much higher than in other countries – at least $2,535 dollars, or 51%, higher than Norway, the next largest per capita spender. Furthermore, the United States spends nearly double the average $3,923 for the 15 countries.
Exhibit 1
Total Health Expenditure per Capita, U.S. and Selected Countries, 2008

Source: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (2010), "OECD Health Data", OECD Health Statistics (database). doi: 10.1787/data-00350-en (Accessed on 14 February 2011).
Notes: Data from Australia and Japan are 2007 data. Figures for Belgium, Canada, Netherlands, Norway and Switzerland, are OECD estimates. Numbers are PPP adjusted.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 AM

Default Italy economy

Ladyalicia, your post got me interested in Italy. Here is a link so you can see how Italy's economy and tax rates compare to other companies. Apparently their overall taxation rate is just under 48% from all sources, corporate, individual, sales (?), so I'm not sure what they spend all that money on, but it isn't healthcare.

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Try this website...this is where I usually go when I need country specific information:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications…

Old 12-20-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Ladyalicia, your post got me interested in Italy. Here is a link so you can see how Italy's economy and tax rates compare to other companies. Apparently their overall taxation rate is just under 48% from all sources, corporate, individual, sales (?), so I'm not sure what they spend all that money on, but it isn't healthcare.

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Try this website...this is where I usually go when I need country specific information:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications…
Their tax rate must have dropped since my family came here. Im not sure what they spend it on either. Im just going by what my step dad tells me. One thing is for sure, hes happier here if I only I can convince him and my mom to move to KY with me he can save even more money!

Old 12-20-2012, 10:58 AM

Default U.S. lower tax rate

Quote:
Their tax rate must have dropped since my family came here. Im not sure what they spend it on either. Im just going by what my step dad tells me. One thing is for sure, hes happier here if I only I can convince him and my mom to move to KY with me he can save even more money!
Our overall U.S. tax rate is significantly lower at 26.9%, but then we aren't coming anywhere close to paying for what we are spending---AND we are NOT providing free healthcare at point of service (the only portion of our taxes going to healthcare is for Indian care, military retirees and those with service related injuries.

Medicare is separately funded (out of our paychecks) and not figured in the taxation process. Wish they did that with social security too --- meaning they can't spend or borrow it for any other purpose.

So if we were anywhere close to paying what we ought to pay just to break even (not reduce the deficit), our taxation structure would be nearer the 40% level of Germany, Iceland, and the UK---still without point of service healthcare.

I still think we need a more efficient system to reduce our 18% of GDP for privately funded health care, but we can't do it without needed changes in other areas--like reduction in our military.

Sad to say, our last President cut our taxes and started a war--a really bad combination. In fact the income tax itself was instituted to defray the costs of World War One. We need a constitutional amendment requiring us to raise taxes anytime we go to war, declared or undeclared.

I'm thinking we would have a lot fewer wars, and certainly no unnecessary ones.

Okay I'm done with this thread.

Good luck OP

Old 12-20-2012, 01:21 PM

Elaine, sorry this thread ran away on a seperate subject. You always have me to talk to on Facebook regarding your possible move here. I enjoyed talking to you yesterday

Old 12-20-2012, 03:22 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,269,010 times
Quote:
Elaine, sorry this thread ran away on a seperate subject. You always have me to talk to on Facebook regarding your possible move here. I enjoyed talking to you yesterday

Thanks alicia, its a hell of alot of information! i do appreciate it though and if im honest i wasnt really thinking that indepth about health care the subject that was taking up my time was education.

we take alot of granted over here in regards to housing, health care although it has its flaws and alot of them! but also things like help we get off the goverment and how much people get paid "not to work". life in the u.s seems extremely different and would no doubt take alot to get use to.

i was sleeping when you sent me a msg last night lol time difference.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:24 PM

Wardendresden,

thanks for your post, its gave me alot to think about i really appreciate it. thank you

Old 12-20-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Excellent point ! *rep*
Education too . . .
Healthcare relative to what a civilized country is used to is virtually non-existent --and education for the sprogs will be 100x more than a "maintanence fee" a UK'r might be expecting to pay.

Also, guns and cars are our gods. We worship them and will kill you for them. If you are civil, freethinking and openminded, research how the omnipotent reality of the USA's guns>cars=gods religion factors into your expectations and how that mindset might impact your quality of life overall.

hi,

considering we dont have guns over here and our police dont carry them its safe to say im anti-guns! ive never seen one except on tv and i hope not to see one as id probably have a heart attack!!

im openminded but i just dont see a need for them as i said thats how we're brought up over here we dont have them around us and we do perfectly fine without them but i understand that the u.s have them i just dont see the reason for it.

and really, youd kill someone over a car? ive experienced road rage but lol i wouldnt kill someover over a car. its only a car they can be replaced but people cant.

thanks for your post

Old 12-20-2012, 04:00 PM

I sent you a message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky