U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:04 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,415,315 times

Advertisements

Buckner is nice - rural and small town, as you said. (And you two stop idealizing small towns - sometimes small towns mean small minds!) None of them look like Mayberry. Rather, a small part of them looks like Mayberry, with strip malls and fast food joints surrounding them.

Anyway, there is not a ton of difference between any of the areas in southern Oldham County. You may not want to live in the town limits, altho Crystal Lake is an exception - it's kind of tucked away, down in a little valley.

I've never heard anything bad about LaGrange Elementary. Their entire system has a great reputation, but then again, I don't have kids.

And I think Prospect may actually be a shorter commute, altho not by much. We have a new bridge that is going to be build that will cut the time in half, but it's been in the planning stage for about a decade!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 10:50 PM

3 posts, read 13,547 times
Default Try North Ridge Farms

To whom it may concern. I have been reading several of the out of state quotes for info regarding Oldham Co. My spouse works in Trimble which is right across the river from Madison and we live in the area off of I-71 Exit 18. Near the Centerfield area. We have a Crestwood Mailing address and a hop skip and jump from Buckner, PeWee Valley, LaGrange, Louisville, Etc. My husband commutes about 25 min. so for Madison it would be about 35 to 40 min. commute. Try our neighborhood "North Ridge Farms" we are off Hwy 22about 5 minutes from LaGrange, 20 minutes from Louisville. Prices range $300,000 to $480,000, (1 acre lots) very nice deed restricted neighborhood. New East Oldham Middle School is next door (about 2 yrs. old) & in the next two months they will be starting the New elementary school which will be open for the 2008 school year. The OCBE will also be adding a high school to this campus, probably within 5 years. Until the elementary school is built, our neighborhood utilizes Centerfield Elementary School, which I have heard is very good. My daughter went to the private school in LaGrange years ago & is now in college. But all the neighbors seem to love Centerfield and many moms volunteer at the school.
I think you would love our neighborhood. Check us out. We have friends/neighbors who moved from Michigan (work related transfer) and at the beginning missed the subards feel but wouldn't move from here if they had too. If you need any other info let me know. PS We have recently had several homes go on market, (Job Transfers). Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver30 View Post
Do you know what elementary school serves Crystal Lake? From what I've heard, LaGrange Elementary is one to stay away from, if possible. I know that some subs with a LaGrange mailing address attend Buckner Elementary. From what I've been told, that's the preferred school in those two areas.

Good luck on your trip!

Last edited by LisaC; 06-03-2007 at 11:10 PM..

Old 10-04-2007, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 12,096 times
Default Oldham Co

It's been awhile...so you may have already moved...but just in case, I thought I would offer my two sense on all of this....I have lived in Oldham Co for 15 years....we love it...my husband & I live in Buckner....but I grew up in Ballardsville (not far from the Northridge Farms subdivision you were told about in a previous post). That is a very nice subdivision & I would highly encourage you to consider it. Crystal Lake is a nice area, however it is older & from the idea I get about what you described you are looking for & your price range....I have a feeling you won't like Crystal Lake. It's a much older neighborhood. The lake is nice, but it's definitely not a $350K + style neighborhood. We live in Heather Hill, just behind Oldham Co. Country Club....we live in the older section but the homes in the back of the subdivision are newer & more in your price range....Kamer Place, Heather Green are both nearby subs in your price range. Buckner is the ideal place in my opinion....close to schools, parks, aquatic center, community center, YMCA....visually I know it leaves some to be desired....but that is all going to be changing soon....there is a lot of work being done & plans to improve the roadways in & around Buckner....I think we're going to see a lot of new growth & expansion in the near future...in a good way!! Plus, we're only 15 minutes to The Summit/Springhurst areas....there's really not much you can't find there to meet your shopping/eating needs. LaGrange continues to grow as well which is good. I graduated from Oldham Co. High School....I loved it! It was a great school....I've heard nothing but good things about Bucker Elem & OCMS. I think you're on the right track & I hope you find a great home & enjoy living here! By the way....I have heard a few negative things about LaGrange Elem & the schools in Northern Oldham Co that serve Prospect & Goshen....I have a few friends who are OC natives & work in the OC school system. If you do consider living in LaGrange....L'Esprit has some nice, newer areas that are in your price range....Glen Eagles, Grand Dell, Prestwick Estates are also neighborhoods you would probably like. Good Luck!

Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,949 times
Default We are in Michigan too - looking at Oldham County!

Oliver, So funny that I found this post. I live in Howell. My husband works for UPS, so we are thinking of moving down there too. And your concerns are exactly the same as mine!

I'm so use to going to Targer, Meijers, etc., in 10 minutes.

We haven't put our house up for sale, but hope your house has sold.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,123,225 times
From Buckner to Meijers, Target, Costco, Walmart, Kroger, Lowes, Home Depot, and upscale centers such as The Summitt... 10-12 minutes. 20 min max to Oxmoor & The Mall, St. Matthews. 30 max to one of the best intra-national airports in America. 75 minutes to CVG otherwise known as Cincinnati International. 90 minutes to pro-football (if the Bengals count) 30-90 minutes to either AAA baseball or the Reds.

Buckner is a darn good choice to live in, especially when you consider the high quality school system.

By the way, Louisville International Airport gets its name because of the UPS Worldport hub located here. 20,000 people employed in Jefferson County by UPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or