U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 11:59 AM

26 posts, read 122,908 times

Advertisements

I posted earlier that we were most probably moving to Buckner. Well, we're definitely moving down that way but just not exactly sure where. My husband will be working in Madison, IN so we need an area in Oldham County that makes his drive as short as possible. That being said, we already realize that it will take him about 45-60 minutes to get to work.

Anyway, is there anywhere we should be looking beside Buckner? That just happened to be the first town we can across in Oldham. We're open to suggestions. Also, any suggestions of specific subdivisions? We can afford a home that's in the price range of $375,000-$425,000. (We already have a Realtor with whom we'll be working.) Just hoping to get ideas from people who might actually know something specific about different areas/subs.

Also, everything I read indicates that Oldham County schools are top-notch. But are there some elementary schools that are better than others? Any to try to avoid? I've heard that Buckner Elementary is much better than La Grange? Any truth to that? I have 3 elementary-aged children so picking an area with a great school is extremely important.

I'm really nervous about this move. We're moving from a large suburb in Michigan...great schools, lots of activities for the kids and super close to absolutely everything (i.e., grocery stores, Target, shopping malls, library, etc. all within minutes of our house). I just don't know what to expect. Everything I read states how "small" Oldham County is and it's a "country-like" atmosphere. While I'm sure it's nice, it's just not something that I'm used to and I'm really concerned.

I really appreciate everyone's replies to my previous post. Your posts contained very helpful information. If there is anyone out there that is a "transplant" living in Oldham County, I'd love to hear from you! Any and all advice and info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 01:24 AM

3 posts, read 9,092 times
Default moving to oldham county

you are choosing to move to Buckner - a very rural area in oldham county. You should look closer to Goshen or Prospect as you will be closer to the city - Louisville. I live in Goshen and looking to sell my home but it would not be large enough for your family. Look at Paramont, Hillcrest or new homes built off 1793. They back up to a 100 nature preserve - in the range you are looking for. Buckner is growing but pretty far out from "happening things". While it may be closer to Madison - take a serious look at Goshen/Prospect. LaGrange is very questionable. The "best" schools in Oldham County are the schools in North Oldham - Goshen. They have 3 elementary schools; a middle school/high school campus. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,532 times
Default Moving to Oldham County

Oliver30,

Did you make the move to Oldham County? And where were you living in Michigan? We are in Hartland School district, Hartland MI and we are contemplating a move to the Oldham County area? Just wanting to know if you like it and if you made it into the Oldham County schools and what you think.

Please feel free to email me directly at Tamaransdell@aol.com

Thanks so much

Old 03-13-2007, 02:37 PM

Hi Tamara!

I just sent you an email to your AOL account.

Look forward to chatting with you more about your possible move!

Lisa

Old 05-09-2007, 09:49 AM

76 posts, read 344,673 times
Default Well?

Did either of you move yet as I am contemplating the same move...any info would be great!!

Old 05-09-2007, 10:29 AM

No, we haven't moved yet. We're still trying to sell our house in Michigan. The housing market here is TERRIBLE right now. We've had it on the market since Nov. 1st.

My husband is still working in Madison, IN Monday through Friday then coming home to MI on the weekends.

I've been following your posts so I'll be anxious to hear what you think after your upcoming visit.

When we do move, we know that we're definitely moving to Oldham County and most probably live in Buckner. Even after seeing the area, I'm somewhat nervous about the whole thing despite all of the wonderful things that I've heard. I just think it will be a big lifestyle adjustment for me. However, change in general is difficult for me, so maybe it's just the whole idea of starting over somewhere new rather than KY itself. I guess only time will tell!

But, to everyone living in Oldham County, please keep those positive stories coming...I really need to hear those to make myself feel better !

Again, good luck to you ler0719 as you make your decision!

Old 05-09-2007, 10:48 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,191,281 times
I'm just curious why you are choosing Buckner. It seems that Prospect and Goshen have more of what you are looking for and closer to the action. It seems that in your price range you can have an absolutely beautiful home in any of those areas.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I'm just curious why you are choosing Buckner. It seems that Prospect and Goshen have more of what you are looking for and closer to the action. It seems that in your price range you can have an absolutely beautiful home in any of those areas.

Because my husband is working in Madison, IN, we are somewhat limited to where in Oldham County we can live. Living in Buckner (or LaGrange, I suppose) will make his commute shorter than living elsewhere in the county. This will still be a 45 minute or so commute for him and that's more than enough.

From our couple brief visits, Goshen & Prospect both appear to be great areas to live and if it weren't for the location of his job, we'd definitely be considering those areas as well.

What is your opinion of Buckner? I'm guessing not as favorable as that of Goshen and Prospect? What worries me about Buckner is the rural-like surroundings. I know that I can get to shopping, restaurants, etc. in just 15-20 minutes, but the area surrounding the subs in which we were looking to live has not much to offer. In my opinion, it's not visually appealing at all. I'm just not used to that so it will be an adjustment for sure.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:04 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,191,281 times
I'll let you know soon. We are heading out to KY tomorrow afternoon. From my research, you might like La Grange, because they actually have a downtown with shops. It sounds more like a town than just a burb, but of course I haven't seen it yet. One place you want to check out is a residential area called, Crystal Lake in La Grange. Someone told me about it, and it sounds lovely. A neighborhood surrounding a pretty lake. Lots of people have their own docks. I'll give you the low down after I get back

Old 05-09-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I'll let you know soon. We are heading out to KY tomorrow afternoon. From my research, you might like La Grange, because they actually have a downtown with shops. It sounds more like a town than just a burb, but of course I haven't seen it yet. One place you want to check out is a residential area called, Crystal Lake in La Grange. Someone told me about it, and it sounds lovely. A neighborhood surrounding a pretty lake. Lots of people have their own docks. I'll give you the low down after I get back
Do you know what elementary school serves Crystal Lake? From what I've heard, LaGrange Elementary is one to stay away from, if possible. I know that some subs with a LaGrange mailing address attend Buckner Elementary. From what I've been told, that's the preferred school in those two areas.

Good luck on your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or