Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,935 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a New Orleans native and will be moving to Bowling Green in July/August of 2013 for grad school. I have a few questions for any locals:

What types of outdoor activities are there in the city / nearby? I enjoy camping, hiking, running (currently training for my first marathon), walking my dog, etc.

I'm looking for a place to live and would like some advice regarding a real estate agent as well as nice neighborhoods. I will be renting and would prefer a 1-2 bedroom home, however I'd entertain the idea of a townhouse or apartment if it has enough room and is near a park. Must allow pets up to 50 lbs. I'd like it to be near WKU. Do you know of any good websites for rental listings? Have a recommendation for real estate agent? Where do you suggest I look? Also, being from NOLA, I certainly would like to live somewhere that is near restaurants, bars, festivals, etc. I'm also ok with living in an older home as long as all the necessities are there... I don't need granite countertops, but I don't want thing falling apart either! I don't have a price point seeing as I'm still waiting on an offer from the school but I would assume 500-800 should be doable. I will have a second income from my husband as well but again, I'm not sure what he will be making so I'd prefer to keep it on the lower end for now.

Speaking of which... Anyone familiar with drafting jobs in the BG area or nearby cities? When should he begin looking for a job and contacting employers? I haven't found many listings so any recommendations would be helpful. he also has experience with machine work, welding, etc. so any jobs within those field would be welcome.

We both have transportation but I'm interested in being able to bike to school or use public transportation to cut costs. Any info on the bus system and bike routes would be great. I read online that WKU students can buy bus passes for rather cheap but I wasn't sure how efficient the busses were and if it took a long time to actually get to campus. How safe is the public transportation too?

Well that's all I can think of so far, but any additional info on moving to the area would be appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 08:42 AM

31 posts, read 123,208 times
Check out Mammoth Cave National Park, which is only about 20 minutes north of Bowling Green. Tons of hiking, camping, running, etc. Its a very underrated national park in my opinion.
There is also a secluded lake in the northern part of Warren County called Shanty Hallow. Only about a 10 minute drive and it is a great place to take the dog for a walk. Short hike but its very pretty. Also, consider getting into disc golf if you aren't already. TONS of courses around and it is very popular in BG.

If I were you, I would be looking to live in the downtown area. Lots of rentals in older houses and you would likely be able to walk to campus. This is also where a lot of bars are. I really like the Mellow Mushroom and I believe there are a few newer places popping up. I would recommend staying south of Center Street between WKU and fountain square.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
I have several BG Realtors which I can refer you to. One of whom lives within BB shot of "The Hill," the nickname for WKU's campus. PM me for additional details.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,789 times
I relocated to BG approximately one year ago. Because I relocated from out of state and wasn't sure how long I was going to stay in the area, I did not consider purchasing a home.

Rentals are extremely hard to come by in this area, unless you want to leave in less than desired locations or in an old home that has been split into apartments in the downtown area.

I, too, enjoy outdoor activities and I have found the immediate area to be very lacking in their offerings. Can you get in your car and drive 30 minutes for outdoor activities, yes you can. But I find that defeats the purpose.

Good paying jobs and jobs in general are hard to come by. This town by its population is not 'small' but the mentality is still very small. You have to know someone that knows someone to get a job. This is my personal experience and also what I have been told by one of the staff members in the career center at WKU. She tries very hard to get students placed in jobs and those who are not born and raised here face difficultly securing a minimum wage fast food job. When I relocated here, it took me six months to find a job and I took a $20k pay cut.

One of the things that BG is proud of are the number of restaurants they have. Very few offer more than pub food or pizza.

I wish you the best of luck with your stay here. After this first year, I am doing all I can to relocate away from here.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:14 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
For nightlife, festivals, restaurants, and of course great music, remember that Bowling Green is only about two hours from Nashville - easy weekend or even daytrip there and back again.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 03-03-2013 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: edited out unintentional pun.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:45 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
For nightlife, festivals, restaurants, and of course great music, remember that Bowling Green is only about two hours from Nashville - easy weekend or even daytrip there and back again.
....and 2 hours to Louisville in the same state (although Nashville is indeed a bit closer to BG). I do love Nashville, but feel it is overhyped. I was just noticing how people from Central, Southern, and east Central Ky will go to Nashville for their "big" city fix rather than Louisville, when the distance in some cases is equal. I just don't get it. Wouldn't you rather your money stay in your state? And, while not maybe as flashy, Louisville is every bit as cool as Nashville, even if it (and other Kentuckians) don't know it. Just my 2 cents

Old 03-06-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLongKY View Post
I relocated to BG approximately one year ago. Because I relocated from out of state and wasn't sure how long I was going to stay in the area, I did not consider purchasing a home.

Rentals are extremely hard to come by in this area, unless you want to leave in less than desired locations or in an old home that has been split into apartments in the downtown area.

I, too, enjoy outdoor activities and I have found the immediate area to be very lacking in their offerings. Can you get in your car and drive 30 minutes for outdoor activities, yes you can. But I find that defeats the purpose.

Good paying jobs and jobs in general are hard to come by. This town by its population is not 'small' but the mentality is still very small. You have to know someone that knows someone to get a job. This is my personal experience and also what I have been told by one of the staff members in the career center at WKU. She tries very hard to get students placed in jobs and those who are not born and raised here face difficultly securing a minimum wage fast food job. When I relocated here, it took me six months to find a job and I took a $20k pay cut.

One of the things that BG is proud of are the number of restaurants they have. Very few offer more than pub food or pizza.

I wish you the best of luck with your stay here. After this first year, I am doing all I can to relocate away from here.
What did you expect? It is a very small town. Not sure of any small town in America not near a major metro that is different? I like BG. It is decent at what it is. That said, did you check out Louisville or Northern KY? They would likely be much more to your liking. Lexington has some pluses too, but does suffer a bit from the college town mentality. Lexington is very educated and genteel though.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcsauce View Post
Hello,

I am a New Orleans native and will be moving to Bowling Green in July/August of 2013 for grad school. I have a few questions for any locals:

What types of outdoor activities are there in the city / nearby? I enjoy camping, hiking, running (currently training for my first marathon), walking my dog, etc.

I'm looking for a place to live and would like some advice regarding a real estate agent as well as nice neighborhoods. I will be renting and would prefer a 1-2 bedroom home, however I'd entertain the idea of a townhouse or apartment if it has enough room and is near a park. Must allow pets up to 50 lbs. I'd like it to be near WKU. Do you know of any good websites for rental listings? Have a recommendation for real estate agent? Where do you suggest I look? Also, being from NOLA, I certainly would like to live somewhere that is near restaurants, bars, festivals, etc. I'm also ok with living in an older home as long as all the necessities are there... I don't need granite countertops, but I don't want thing falling apart either! I don't have a price point seeing as I'm still waiting on an offer from the school but I would assume 500-800 should be doable. I will have a second income from my husband as well but again, I'm not sure what he will be making so I'd prefer to keep it on the lower end for now.

Speaking of which... Anyone familiar with drafting jobs in the BG area or nearby cities? When should he begin looking for a job and contacting employers? I haven't found many listings so any recommendations would be helpful. he also has experience with machine work, welding, etc. so any jobs within those field would be welcome.

We both have transportation but I'm interested in being able to bike to school or use public transportation to cut costs. Any info on the bus system and bike routes would be great. I read online that WKU students can buy bus passes for rather cheap but I wasn't sure how efficient the busses were and if it took a long time to actually get to campus. How safe is the public transportation too?

Well that's all I can think of so far, but any additional info on moving to the area would be appreciated! Thank you!
Being from NOLA, you will want to make frequent trips to Louisville. It is the only city in the region similar to what you are used to New2Lou

Insider Louisville | Made You Look tips you on local developments, and the site's Melissa Chipman is a NOLA transplant. In fact, Louisville has alot of those from Katrina.

BG is a real up and coming college town, and the campus is starting to attract alot of top national and even international students. I was surprised when I was there last 2 years ago, but it leaves alot to be desired for anyone (like myself) used to cities.

http://www.thebowlinggreengalleryhop.com Was the most culturally interesting thing I found there when I spent 2 months there on a contract for work.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:15 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
....and 2 hours to Louisville in the same state (although Nashville is indeed a bit closer to BG). I do love Nashville, but feel it is overhyped. I was just noticing how people from Central, Southern, and east Central Ky will go to Nashville for their "big" city fix rather than Louisville, when the distance in some cases is equal. I just don't get it. Wouldn't you rather your money stay in your state? And, while not maybe as flashy, Louisville is every bit as cool as Nashville, even if it (and other Kentuckians) don't know it. Just my 2 cents
Actually, I'll be spending time in both Nashville and Louisville in the next month. Both have much to offer, as does Lexington, and each city has its own distinct flavor, so why not enjoy all of them if possible?

I spent a year in Nashville a long time ago, and I soon will be seeing lots of far-flung friends at an upcoming special-interest workshop there. This workshop will occur in Nashville, not Lexington or Louisville, so if I want to attend and reconnect with old friends - Nashville it is.

Spending a couple of days in Nashville once a year or so doesn't do much to deprive Kentucky of my money, especially since 3/4 of my drive to Nashville occurs within Kentucky, as will spending my gas money, whatever I decide to spend for lunch en route, and any other purchases/expenses along the way.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Actually, I'll be spending time in both Nashville and Louisville in the next month. Both have much to offer, as does Lexington, and each city has its own distinct flavor, so why not enjoy all of them if possible?

I spent a year in Nashville a long time ago, and I soon will be seeing lots of far-flung friends at an upcoming special-interest workshop there. This workshop will occur in Nashville, not Lexington or Louisville, so if I want to attend and reconnect with old friends - Nashville it is.

Spending a couple of days in Nashville once a year or so doesn't do much to deprive Kentucky of my money, especially since 3/4 of my drive to Nashville occurs within Kentucky, as will spending my gas money, whatever I decide to spend for lunch en route, and any other purchases/expenses along the way.
Craig, Nashville is one of my favorite American cities. When I lived in KY, though, it seemed people were to quick to make that the first place to visit. You think people from Nashville ever come to KY? Not nearly as much as Kentuckians go there. The reason? Nashville has built a name and recognition for itself. There is no reason Louisville and Lexington cannot do that, and they are starting to. For me personally, I would take day trips to Keeneland in Lexington or the river boats near NKY for a taste of some different entertainment when I lived in Louisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky