U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 04:58 AM

850 posts, read 2,955,679 times

Advertisements

A GREAT BIG HILL called Muldraugh!

Seriously - it is a huge hill coming down from the Hardin county area into the Salt River/Ohio River Bottoms, with little towns and Fort Knox entrances along the way.

There are also remnants of old motels - but small towns still survive - such as West Point - which is rich in history http://www.westpointky.org/ (this is a neat little site).

You will also find Ohio Valley Speedway (this is just one of the many sites available http://www.ohiovalleydragway.com )- a great place to go if you love drag racing - (as I do!).

Because Louisville City has now merged with county - called 'Louisville Metro' -
the Jefferson County Line is now the 'city limits'.

The southern end of Louisville does have an energy company now run by Lousville Gas and Electric - company used to be called Kosmos Cement Company, and a little city sprung up around it called Kosmosdale decades ago.
See site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosmosdale,_Kentucky) Still there - but sadly, it is not what it used to be.

As you come further into Valley Station, you will find shopping and new housing developments off the main road - Hwy31W - or Dixie Hwy, as pointed out earlier, and access to the Gene Snyder Freeway and the Greenbelt Highway - where there are many, many new businesses growing everyday.

Hwy31W - Dixie Hwy - was THE way of travel before I-65 was built. In the 50's and before, it was the gateway between downtown Louisville and Tennesee - but died much in the same way Route 66 did when the interstate system was built. I can remember as a child driving with my grandparents to papaw's hometown of Caneyville, Kentucky and stopping at parks and rest areas along the way to picnic and rest before traveling on (these parks do still exist in some areas). I-65 was in existence then - but my grandfather wouldn't give up his old route of travel.

Also - that area is where Hardin, Breckinridge, Bullitt and Jefferson all meet - only for a foot or so - and you follow the Ohio river as you drive down the road. Beautiful view from the highway, and you can see the knobs of Indiana just across the river.
Oh, and look for the Tank on the side of the hwy as you head south - it is dedicated to the soldiers of Fort Knox, which used to be called 'Camp Knox' http://www.uky.edu/KentuckyAtlas/ky-fort-knox.html

If you are a History buff, I would absolutely recommend checking it out!

KimmieyKY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,199 times
You can live in Valley Station and have the kids go to some of the better schools. We have a Magnet system in Louisville, so your area doesn't always determine your school. This is as far as public schools. Valley Station has two very good elementary schools. As far as middle school and high school, you can basically take a bus from any point in the city to the school. And there are some very good public schools. I lived in Valley Station and attended high school as a transfer student somewhere else. Nothing is that far in the city. Downtown in a 25 minute drive from Valley Station/Fairdale- on a busy day. In the Old Third Street and East Pages and Stone Street area you can fine some very nice houses and nice neighborhoods. Fort Knox is about a 25 minute drive from VS. It's not the best neighborhood in the city, but it is a nice enough place with access to everything.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 18,299 times
This is an update of my comments from two years ago.

The Chaffee Avenue gate to Fort Knox has bee closed. The Bullion Boulevard gate (just past the front gate of the Gold Vault) has been RENAMED the "Chaffee Gate."

To help you get near Louisville with a decent commute to Fort Knox, you really have to be in the SW side of Louisville. Recently, many homes have been built in that area, especially patio homes. The PH owner's associations usually will not allow renting, but for those looking to buy, patio homes are similar to living in base housing.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 11,159 times
We are in the same boat. But moving with BRAC along with 3,000 others. Can Elizabeth town really handle this many new people coming in? And what about school districts? The people handling the move are really pushing E-town as being the place to live.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:09 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,471,149 times
Arrow New thread?

These questions should get a new forum/thread.

The short answer is that E'town is not really prepared to handle the soon-to-be arriving people if they all were to move in. The first big push is going to start this May (with the brigade) and the whole brigade should be in by the end of the year. That's 3,000 soldiers plus all their families. In 2010, when the HRC building is complete, the DC crowd is going to start moving in.

The reason I say "not really" is that the locals and state are not completing the increases necessary for infrastructure construction and road expansions. The state could be with holding funding because they are hurting for money but there is no better investment than making preparations for the inbound soldiers and civilians.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 11,159 times
Thanks for the quick reply. We will be on the end of the HRC move. Is it true that other jobs are going to be eliminated at Ft. Knox so there should be a big movement out and then a big in? It should be great economically for the area but we have been in a city that grew too fast and there are definately growing pains with the public schools. Have they started to make provisions for that.

We have also been told that house prices are going up fast in E-town do you notice that to be true?

Old 01-14-2009, 04:52 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,471,149 times
Default #'s moving out vs. in

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysmovingX5 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. We will be on the end of the HRC move. Is it true that other jobs are going to be eliminated at Ft. Knox so there should be a big movement out and then a big in? It should be great economically for the area but we have been in a city that grew too fast and there are definately growing pains with the public schools. Have they started to make provisions for that.

We have also been told that house prices are going up fast in E-town do you notice that to be true?
As far as people moving out while others move in, BRAC is moving the armor school out and in a brigade along with some major commands. Result will be that Knox will lose 10,000 soldiers while gaining 3,000 soldiers and 3,000 civilians. The difference is the 3,000 incoming soldiers and civilians will have families and spend a significantly more amount of time and money back into the communities. The 10,000 out bound soldiers haven't spent nearly as much money (in taxes) as those inbound will (10k is an approximate number since it fluctuated).

On the housing prices >> no idea.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:30 PM

237 posts, read 783,199 times
Uhhh..KnockersVille?

hehehe, sorry, couldn't resist....

Dig~

Old 03-22-2010, 10:09 AM

13 posts, read 37,396 times
Default In-Law Apartments?

Does anyone in E-Town know what an in-law apt is? Are there any available in E-Town? I can't find any search engines to find out. I'm leading the way for my families move and would like to rent one on a month to month basis. I don't drink nor smoke and in my later 40's so I don't stay up late either

If anyone knows of any of the above arrangements can you please email action21 at action21.com (trying to avoid webbots getting my email). I'm a contractor with Hewlett-Packard coming down end of April.

Thanks
Patrick

Old 03-22-2010, 11:21 AM

5,216 posts, read 7,240,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billw5492 View Post
Does anyone in E-Town know what an in-law apt is? Are there any available in E-Town? I can't find any search engines to find out. I'm leading the way for my families move and would like to rent one on a month to month basis. I don't drink nor smoke and in my later 40's so I don't stay up late either

If anyone knows of any of the above arrangements can you please email action21 at action21.com (trying to avoid webbots getting my email). I'm a contractor with Hewlett-Packard coming down end of April.

Thanks
Patrick
patrick you will get better answers if you start your own thread and ask. you posted this on a thread about louisville and ft knox that was over a year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or