U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 11:11 PM

175 posts, read 200,500 times

Advertisements

You can go to Land and farm and type in Pulaski county on a search. We just bought property in McCreary county. Its south of Pulaski. There you have Daniel Boone National Forest and all the trails you ever want to hike. Ticks are bad. You also have the Cumberland River which is awesome for fishing. Somerset has Sonnys BBQ and the THEE best sweet tea. You can buy it by the gallon! We were so impressed by the relaxed nature of the area and people are so friendly. The ticks are bad. People will just start talking to you like they have known you forever. I can't say enough about how nice the people are. I have checked out the local vets too because we have a couple dogs. They are so helpful. We have been warned about the crime in our area. Mostly metal thieves. Nothing violent. The area is poor and some are just trying to get by. So if your building a home, stay with till it's finished and have a good alarm system. If it is of any value it may get stolen. We currently live in Utah. If there is anything you can write on it will get "tagged" by gangs. It's scary to go out after dark or even daylight alone in some areas. We have been through Pulaski, McCreary and Whitly Counties and we didn't see any tagging. It was refreshing. Did I mention that the ticks were bad??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 04:28 PM

3 posts, read 3,862 times
Default moving from LA

My husband and I are considering moving to Somerset from Los Angeles next year when we retire and I'm wondering about Dr's offices and hospitals...are they close or are there any in Somerset? How is the weather there? After living is Los Angeles all my life and that's all I know, I really don't know how to handle weather changes, any suggestions?

Old 06-02-2016, 04:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,862 times
What are the bad areas?

Old 06-03-2016, 07:13 AM

10,413 posts, read 21,934,466 times
Somerset has one of the largest hospitals in that part of rural Kentucky, Lake Cumberland Regional Medical Center. For more serious surgeries people go mostly to Lexington or Louisville or Knoxville. But LCRM would suffice for minor surgeries and check ups. Weather compared to LA is more humid (though better than the Deep South) with quite a few thunderstorms in the warm part of the year. Down there they get a couple small snows (a couple inches or less) several times per year, now and then a bigger snow storm. In general it seems like the west part of town towards the lake is best. Are you considering lake view property?

Old 06-04-2016, 07:30 PM

15,898 posts, read 11,704,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfriar View Post
What are the bad areas?
The concept of "bad areas" in small to medium size Kentucky towns is radically different than in a large city like LA. In places like Somerset one of the largest homes in the area can be right next door to a shack. There can can be neighborhoods that are more affluent than other neighborhoods, but that doesn't make the less affluent neighborhood bad or crime ridden like you would see in a metro area. Also, since school options are more limited that is less of a driving force than in more suburban or urban areas. In Somerset you would be choosing between the Pulaski County or Somerset City schools, which are both well rated overall, although Pulaski County is slightly higher.

What type of property are you looking for? Are you seeking a fair amount of land or looking for a regular neighborhood to live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky