U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:40 AM

13 posts, read 19,672 times

Advertisements

My husband, adult son and I are considering a move to Somerset, Kentucky. I'm just wondering if you can elaborate on what life there is like. I'm not worried about schools since we don't have school-aged children. Hubby is a trucker and will stay with the company he is with, so that's not a problem. My son will be looking for work. Most of his experience is cooking at restaurants. He may be interested in a factory-type job or construction, etc. if that is available.

My biggest interests are writing, reading, library access, etc. Other than that, we're just interested in what the people are like, what there is in the way of entertainment, what the way of life is, etc. We live a pretty quiet life in general, but a little shopping, eating out and getting back to nature are all things we'd be interested in. Also if anyone is familiar with Catholic churches in the area, feedback there would be great.

We are coming from just south of the Dayton, Ohio area. I've been to Somerset once, but it was probably about 26 years ago and I only have vague memories of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 12:21 PM

11,004 posts, read 9,212,615 times
I can't answer all your questions, but Somerset is located very close to Lake Cumberland, and not far from two state parks on the lake, so you should be good for outdoor activities: swimming, boating, hiking, etc. The lake is enormous, and is surrounded by hilly, wooded shores. Lake Cumberland State Resort Park Lodge has a very good restaurant - that might work out well for your son, if they should need a good cook.

Somerset isn't tiny, but it's not large, either - I'd term it a moderately sized small town. Pulaski County is rural, with small farms, hills, woods and pastures. Somerset has some nice newer subdivisions, along with many weekend and vacation places adjacent to the lake. The Cumberland Parkway ends at Somerset and provides easy access to Bowling Green and points west, while I-75 is fairly close as well and can be reached by good roads in about 30-45 minutes.

Others can answer your remaining questions better than I can, and no doubt they'll be along shortly.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,260 times
I have lived in Somerset since I was 5 (1989). Somerset is a growing town with a lot of great qualities. Recently, a public vote changed the town status from dry to wet, so we are all adjusting to that. The change is bringing in growth as well, so what I would describe today may be totally different in a few years. Primarily, more restaurants are coming to town. There is a lot of scenic and outdoor activity in this area. As for entertainment, the Center, [url=http://centertech.com/]The Center for Rural Development[/url] offers plays and concerts and each year we have the Master Musicians Festival. Somerset has a great library that was newly built only a few years ago in downtown (although I was partial to the more historic one, this one provides better parking and is really nice). Downtown is quaint, while Hwy 27 is the bread and butter of Somerset; it is one of the largest strips of business district in Ky. The downfalls are that Somerset is very much a tourist supported town, so most of our events are geared at tourism, such as the Somernites Cruise which is a huge car show hosted in downtown Somerset one weekend each month during the spring and summer. During this, downtown traffic can be difficult on Saturday. Personally, I love it here. We seem to have the best of both worlds.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 10,853 times
How about hospitals? How many are in the area?

Bill

Old 06-17-2013, 04:35 AM

13 posts, read 19,672 times
CraigCreek, thanks for your reply. The state parks and outdoor activities sound great! Also nice to be relatively close to the highway for visiting family back in Ohio, etc. Right now I can see I-75 from my house. It's probably one minute literally to the highway. All I need to do is get on and head south. lol.

Charity32, thank you so much for your reply too. It sounds lovely from your description. I'm really hoping we can get a place in the country. I long for peace and quiet without neighbors on top of us, yet being near enough to get to town, get to know some people, etc. I've lived in the Dayton, Ohio area my whole life and I'm really saddened to see how far downhill it's gone, how much crime is increasing, etc. Fortunately we are in a suburb, but there's something about Kentucky that's calling to us. I think I'm like you that I would have enjoyed the historical library, but I love libraries period and am glad to hear you have a great library. I practically live at the library here.

My biggest concern at this point is that if we choose to rent rather than buy immediately, that we may have a hard time finding a place. Any ideas on the best way to find a single-family rental home? I've tried Craigslist, but it seems that there are not a lot of properties there for rent. I'd really prefer not to be in an apartment if possible, but would be open to a nice complex if necessary. As soon as we can sell our home here, we plan to head that way.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:35 AM

5 posts, read 13,277 times
BeluvdLily,

I just moved to Somerset for a job from Texas about 3 weeks ago. This was a big decision for me and my family since I lived for 35 years in Texas. I can't say a lot about what Somerset is like beneath the surface as I am still getting adjusted but here are the things I do like.

There are a lot of outdoor activities. If you are into hiking, biking, canoeing, camping, etc. you will like it here. There are a couple of bars now in town and they are trying to cater to the pub crawl crowd and the hang out crowd. The packaged liquor stores really have a large selection of beers and liquor if you are into that. There are 3 wineries in the area that are pretty good. The nights are dark and very quite. Also, this time of year there are a lot of lightening bugs (something my kids have loved catch). Everyone is super friendly and nice.

The Lake Cumberland Regional hospital is a good hospital from everything I can gather. My Realtor said a lot of doctors have moved into the area because of the hospital.

Also, I would say Charity is right. There seems to be a lot of growth here and with the lake levels coming back up I expect more to come in. They recently had a Duncan Donuts and a Firehouse Subs come in. There is also a Jimmy John's moving in as well. I think in 5 years there will be a lot of new business and growth in the area.

Good luck in your move and let me know if you want some ideas on places to live. I did a lot of looking before moving up.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:27 PM

8 posts, read 13,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccl1991 View Post
How about hospitals? How many are in the area?

Bill
There's a decent enough sized one, Lake Cumberland Regional. The problem usually is anything more than a head cold and it seems you're shipped to UK in Lexington. I tend to think of it more as a stabilization checkpoint/helicopter launchpad on the way to UK than an actual hospital, unfortunately.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:50 PM

8 posts, read 13,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeluvdLily View Post
My biggest interests are writing, reading, library access, etc. Other than that, we're just interested in what the people are like, what there is in the way of entertainment, what the way of life is, etc. We live a pretty quiet life in general, but a little shopping, eating out and getting back to nature are all things we'd be interested in. Also if anyone is familiar with Catholic churches in the area, feedback there would be great.
There's places to eat as it caters to lake tourists, just not a huge selection like you'd find other places. We tend to get redundant on places too that the size of the population just doesn't warrant. For example, a couple of Subway's , a new place called Fireside Subs coming in, Penn Station and a Quizno's subs. It's just too much of one thing for the given area to support. I'd rather see an Olive Garden, O'Charley's, TGIF, etc. You get the idea. We do have a Cracker Barrel, Ruby Tuesday's, Golden Corral, a couple Japanese and Chinese places, Sonny's BBQ.

Shopping isn't really that grand either. It seems to provide the basics, (Kroger's, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, T.J. Maxx, Lowe's, Belk's, J.C. Penney, etc.) but specific item shopping could require online or making a trip elsewhere, which brings me to me next point: Somerset is ideal as far as it being kickback and not a hectic lifestyle, but it's also very plausible given its location to toss a dufflebag in the trunk and do a weekend getaway to Lexington, Louisville, Indianapolis, Cincinatti, Nashville, etc. Add a couple more hours drive time and Chicago and Atlanta become doable, so you're not completely isolated from everything. Plenty of people in the area frequent Lexington. 1-1 1/2 hour drive north.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,238 times
Sounds like Somerset would be a nice place to retire. Why are there so many houses for sale? Is there any easy accesses for boat ramp on lake C. Are there any areas I can kayak safely? Where are the public swim areas (beach)? Where and what are the best wooded trails? Are there medical clinics in Somerset? thanks��

Old 07-09-2014, 12:05 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,770,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpup2 View Post
Sounds like Somerset would be a nice place to retire. Why are there so many houses for sale? Is there any easy accesses for boat ramp on lake C. Are there any areas I can kayak safely? Where are the public swim areas (beach)? Where and what are the best wooded trails? Are there medical clinics in Somerset? thanks��
Of course there are boat ramps to Lake Cumberland in Somerset. And yes Somerset has a pretty large hospital - Lake Cumberland Regional Hospital. They even have a VA clinic as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky