Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 03:47 PM

14 posts, read 47,433 times

Advertisements

I have been searching for property to buy which has a natural gas well that can be used by the land owner. I would like to find property with what is called a stranded gas well, one the has a usable reserve but is not commercially viable. In what parts of KY would I find such properties. I would not be interested in anything under 50 acres, and the more remote the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 04:11 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,667 times
Quite a few in and around Eastern and South Eastern parts. I know a fellow that has one, almost everything in his house/garage operates on natural gas, even some lights. He is in the South Eastern part of the State.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:20 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
I lived in a part of southwest Ontario where there are a lot of properties like the one you want. I don't know about KY but I thought I just better mention this in case there are similarities between On and KY. It can be very risky buying a property with a gas well on it here. Many of these old wells do not meet present environmental regulations and if inspected by the authorities and found substandard it can be devastating, cost wise. I have heard of a few cases where the remedial work ORDERED cost in excess of $500,000. The best scenerio here is to buy a property with a gas well on it that is owned by someone else, most usually an energy company. Many of the leases allow the property owner to use as much gas as they want for personal use plus a small royality on gas sold offsite.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:58 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
You might also look for similar property in NW Arkansas. Some of my family's in-laws had a gas well on their property in Prairie Grove which provided heat, fueled the kitchen stove, water heater, and outdoor gaslights for years and years - no idea if it's still working or if it played out, as the property is now in other hands.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:08 PM

14 posts, read 47,433 times
Thanks for the replys, as for anyplace other than KY they would be a nonstarter if for no other reason I pretty much know how the firearm laws are in KY and I like them. Agin thanks for your replys.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 PM

23 posts, read 44,653 times
I've seen several properties listed over the years with several gas wells -usually in the Daniel Boone national forest area (around Stanton) on lbar.com. I don't see anything currently. Pretty much any place you look in eastern or south eastern Kentucky is apt to have a well somewhere nearby. You can find maps here Oil & Gas Data if you're looking for something specific.

If you're open to just contacting people to see if they're interested in selling, often you can pull one of those maps up then also google for the county clerks office of that county and get an online map with contact info for specific tracts of land.

Also, if you paste in google:

site:realtor.com kentucky "gas well"
or
site:http://lexington.craigslist.org/ "gas well"

Last edited by dyrne; 07-16-2013 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky