Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 12:06 PM

6 posts, read 11,220 times

Advertisements

Is there BBQ in KY............lived there 20+ and never had any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 10:41 PM

118 posts, read 250,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booxtwo View Post
Bless your heart you poor thing

Old 02-10-2014, 09:33 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booxtwo View Post
Poor thing!

That's as bad as being a UK fan and never going to Rupp!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:26 AM

118 posts, read 250,907 times
Here's a spot I'm gonna have to try ... http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/home

Old 05-26-2014, 01:22 AM

14 posts, read 168,533 times
Owensboro is The International BBQ Capital. Anyone remember Shady Rest on HWY 60 in Owensboro? That was my favorite. I'd have to say Moonlite has delicious mutton and burgoo, great buffet, but go to the BBQ Fest, 2nd Saturday in May, and have some of St. Pius X and Blessed Mother's mutton and burgoo, too. I'm really hungry now. Mmmmmm!

Old 07-11-2014, 11:29 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,003 times
Used to be the old "Shady Rest" on the east side of Owensboro on Highway 60 near the power plant on the river, but, it's sadly been closed down a few years now. The best BBQ in western Kentucky in my opinion are not the restuarants but at the local Catholic Church Fairs or Picnics. St Lawrence and St Mary's Parrish BBQ's east of Owensboro are 2 that come to mind.....best BBQ in Kentucky IMHO

Owensboro is The International BBQ Capital. Anyone remember Shady Rest on HWY 60 in Owensboro? - Yeah Shady Rest was the best! They had great sliced Mutton sandwiches! I used to get mine with a sliced onion and a Pickle

Old 09-12-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigijen22 View Post
Owensboro is The International BBQ Capital. Anyone remember Shady Rest on HWY 60 in Owensboro? That was my favorite. I'd have to say Moonlite has delicious mutton and burgoo, great buffet, but go to the BBQ Fest, 2nd Saturday in May, and have some of St. Pius X and Blessed Mother's mutton and burgoo, too. I'm really hungry now. Mmmmmm!
Hmmm what a small world! I used to go to Shady Rest as well.....quite a bit. Not familiar with St Pius or Blessed Mothers burgoo but I'm sure it's good! Did you ever go to the BBQ out in Rome Kentucky? I can't remember what that parrish is called out there but we used to go over there and buy a ticket and get a belly full and come home with a few quarts of Burgoo..

My grandmother lives in Whitesville and we go to St mary's picnic quite a bit.

Yeah, I'm hungry now too...down in Argentina out of the U.S., I can only dream of having this stuff. Last time I had Burgoo and a sliced Mutton sandwich with an Onion and Pickle was back in 2011 when my wife and I came in for a visit.

Moonlite is great too......we only went their on special occasions, costs a fortune to eat there. But besides the Mutton and Burgoo....the fantastic cakes and pies and the nan'r pudding that they have....nmmmm....it's the best!

Old 09-12-2014, 01:24 PM

I love to drive around the Commonwealth and find the spots the locals frequent in each county. I'd say hickory smoked pork BBQ is the quintessential Kentucky meal (other than fried catfish, or fried chicken on Sundays) and I'd like to know where the best spot to get some in each of yall's area is. Where you can smell the smoke a mile away. Daviess County folks lets try to talk about pigs ok?

My family in Kentucky when they BBQ it's always open pit and it's always either Hickory or Sassafras. Sassafras is kinda hard to harvest in big enough pieces to have a good BBQ but if you can find one big enough, it smokes with a kinda "peppery" taste in my opinion, only way I can describe it. The last time we BBQ'd with it, we had to go all the way down to a property one of my uncle owns on the Green river in western Daviess county where their was a little stand of Sassafras growing big enough to harvest for a BBQ. If you like to BBQ and can get any, try it, I don't think you'll regret it. It's true, in Daviess, McLean, Henderson or Hancock counties it's all about the mutton but Porks waaay on up there too. Most commonly it's always Hickory smoked, pulled pork on buns or toast with "dippin sauce" can be sweet or vinegar based although the vinegar based stuff is more commonly eaten with the Mutton.

One of my uncles has the best recipe for a "dippin sauce" that he created, it's a family favorite when we have a BBQ. I always thought that Beans and Cornbread was the "quintessential Kentucky meal" at least in my family and the area where my family lives. I think I can count on just all of my fingers on one hand that my grandparents "didn't" have some kind of pinto beans and fried cornbread on the table it seems LOL

Last edited by EricOldTime; 09-12-2014 at 01:32 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 12:04 PM

13 posts, read 17,874 times
In september, barbeque on the river in Paducah is pretty awesome. Its a festival where you can try barbeque from a bunch of different teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky