U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 03:29 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,119,786 times

Advertisements

Most Kentucky counties use a county-wide centralized public education system, although a few counties contain an independent but public system such as in nearby Henry County, there is the Eminence School district. I was involved in the eduction of three children in the Jefferson County (Louisville) system. Right now, I would advise anyone that if living elsewhere to consider private/parochial, while I wouldn't begin to consider anything but the Oldham County public system if living in Oldham Co.

There are three Catholic schools in Oldham County with a 4th in closeby Anchorage. The three OC churches are in the NW, SW and E areas.

My personal opinion of the very best place to live in OC would be the Buckner area. It is centrally located and convenient to Louisville and nearly every need a homeowner would have. The only issue is the 5 mile drive to the nearest full service grocery. (there are some chains, but the best little grocery is the Crestwood IGA which is 4 miles from I-71 exit 17)

Most of the Buckner area is served by Buckner Elementary, Oldham County Middle and High Schools. Although Buckner is a new school, the middle and high have been the flagships of the outstanding district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 08:23 PM

26 posts, read 122,892 times
Thanks to everyone for their replies!

Question for tomocox...is the high school (& middle school) in Buckner--Oldham County High School--considered "better" than North Oldham High School and its' middle school?

From what little we did see on our short visit to Oldham County, there are some nice homes & areas in Buckner and the elementary school looked great. However, the high school looked run down and not very nice in appearance. Of course, I know this is not what one should base their school search on but it does make you wonder. I know you can't judge a book by it's cover, but it makes me wonder how this school compares with the other two high schools in Oldham County?

Also, tomocox, what are your opinions of Goshen & Prospect?

Thanks again for your help!

Old 12-05-2006, 05:44 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,415,573 times
Oliver - you might want to check out the city/town personal profiles on Yahoo Real Estate just for some general statistics....both Prospect and Goshen have very low crime....I don't understand why Buckner has higher than average crime....anyway, here is a link:

Old 12-07-2006, 05:38 PM

92 posts, read 468,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Norton Commons - I've been there 4 times over the last year and a half - some of the same homes that were for sale last year are still for sale - that is because they are overpriced. The downtown area where the shops were supposed to go in is almost vacant - I saw one shop opened when I was there in September - the same as last year. We know of some people that were going to open a toy store there - they didn't - just too much money and they already have a wonderful toy store in La Grange. We noticed quite a few people had their homes up for sale - now these are people that have lived there less than 2 years. The noise from the freeway is quite loud....as much as my husband and I love the concept of Norton Commons, there are too many things wrong with it - when it is finished, traffic will be a bear....but right now it looks like failure to thrive to me.

Your anecdotal evidence seems to be in direct oppostion to the facts of the developments latest news story from Louisville's Business First:

What is most surprising about your assertion is that Norton Commons is somehow "failing". Development just began less than 2 years ago and there are almost 50 houses being closed on right now. And what little commercial and retail that they have built to date is already being filled.

Also, having been to Norton Commons more than 4 times in the last year and a half I have never heard traffic noise at all from the interstate. I am fairly certain that if traffic noise was an issue you wouldn't have over 100 families spending large amounts of money on such homes.

And there is a reason this development is expensive. It is highly desireable to be able to walk to schools, retail, and services. Also, these homes are not your typical cookie cutter cracker boxes being plopped down everywhere in Oldham County.

Again, if someone is looking for a development that is actually unique, walkable, and closer to Louisville retail options, Norton Commons is the place to be.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:42 PM

92 posts, read 468,969 times
Setting up shop: Business district takes shape at Norton Commons
October 20, 2006

When Elizabeth "Cissy" Schuhmann, 59, returned to her native Louisville last year to be near family, she was delighted to discover Norton Commons taking shape. Moderator cut: copyright

Last edited by Marka; 12-10-2006 at 06:17 AM..

Old 12-13-2006, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,750 times
Default Norton Commons and "Strokes"

........I read with interest comments re Norton Commons.....I guess "different strokes for different folks" and we all should be glad that is true...

I m was born in Louisville on Derby Day...for years I thought people were celebrating my birthday... it s a wonderful place if you like Southern Hospitality, Food, Bourbon, History, Art, Sports (mentioning but a few) and gracious people most with a "certain style and humor."...

We presently live in a log cabin high in th Blue Ridge Mountains. Trout are bountiful for my flyrod, but it s now time to return to my native Kentucky and, I might say now- NORTON COMMONS. Our Towhhouse is under construction.

As a college boy, I knew the Nortons. I know the location...I know and love Oldham and Jefferson Counties. ...and, I feel it has a very bright future . My opinion is shared by many including recently the Medical Community. I d say the largness of their committments vouch strongly for the areas future. Too, it is claimed that about 125 000 people live within 5 miles of the "Commons". Just recently, with one facility actually in the "commons" :

1. Medical Office Bldg [ 100 000 sq ft ]
Norton Commons
Health South Surgery Center [ 19 000 ft sq ]

2. Jewish Hosp and St Mary s Healthcare
Out Patient Center
Chamberlain Lane (1/2 mile SW of NC )

3. Norton Healthcare s Complex[ 86 000 ft sq Med Office and diagnostic center ]
Norton Hospital [ 2009 ]
Old Brownsboro Crossing

4. Baptist Hospital East
[ 200 000 ft sq outpatient and surgical center ]
I 265 nr LaGrange Rd

Re expensive, "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.Harrods Creek and Prospect addresses can be hard to come by. For sale signs?? .. well, lots of reasons that can be including they made a nice profit in just 2 years. Re noise from Interstate, I think that might have been local farmers raising bees.

However, my wife to me is the best barometer...She can t wait to move to Ol' Kaintuck- Norton Commons and SHE S A YANKEE !!

JJG III

Old 12-16-2006, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,749 times
My wife, our three kids, dog, and business just did the big move from Central Coast California to Prospect KY. Hard move to make. Good move to make? I think so.

We had a good little business as real estate brokers and property rehabbers in California. We had originally bought a house outside of LA and had gotten fed up with the big city life, so we moved up the coast and started leasing, thinking we'd buy in a couple of years. We ended up selling our house down south, and rolled through several other investments two hours over in the Central Valley. Well, a couple of years turned into almost seven, and year-after-year market hysteria drove the home prices into the stratosphere. I personally expect an economic calamity in CA. When there's a problem keeping medical doctors in an area because its too expensive (not to mention the nurses!), that's not good. It will eventually fall like a house of cards is my impression, but we didn't have the 3-4 years to wait around for an uncertain outcome.

There was only one reason we were staying in California, and that was the climate. And when we started to realize it, we started looking for alternatives.

My wife was the one who chose Kentucky. We originally were set on Crestwood, but then we found a great deal in Prospect, and now we're here. We did tons of research, and with great public schools being priority #1, Oldham County was the only way to go.

We'll see how things work out. Economically speaking, we wanted a safe haven for at least the next 5-10 years. My feeling is that there are large structural changes coming to the U.S. economy as a whole, and in certain areas (coastal especially) there could be some real upheavals. We didn't want to end up a sad statistic, so we're settling into our new lives, and overall, its looking like we made a wise choice.

Feel free to reply or PM me if you're like us and are making a big move--my wife and I did our homework ahead of time, and we'd be glad to share our thoughts.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:22 AM

20 posts, read 75,203 times
Default Oldham County Schools

Have you moved yet? We moved from Kalamazoo, MI a year ago to La Grange. We are very happy here. My kids are at OCHS and OCMS. I have found the schools very comparable to Portage (our old system). You can't lose with any of the three high schools, just look for an area you like.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:37 AM

26 posts, read 122,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopers View Post
Have you moved yet? We moved from Kalamazoo, MI a year ago to La Grange. We are very happy here. My kids are at OCHS and OCMS. I have found the schools very comparable to Portage (our old system). You can't lose with any of the three high schools, just look for an area you like.
Thanks for responding, Jopers!

No, we haven't moved yet. We're still trying to sell our home in Michigan. Not an easy thing to do these days it seems.

When we do move, we really need to be in the area of LaGrange or Buckner since my husband will be working in Indiana. By living in these towns, we will be keeping his commute to 45-50 minutes (we hope anyway!). Although we looked in some subs near The Summit, I think it would just be pushing it and he'd be in the car at least another 15-20 minutes each way.

Do you mind telling me the names of some subdivisions/areas near you that you feel it would be worth looking into living? We did see some neighboorhoods during our brief visit, but they were mostly in Buckner. Any in LaGrange?

Did any of your kids attend elementary school in KY? If so, which one? Also, when we visited the area several months ago, we noticed that while the Oldham County Middle School looks nice, the high school appeared old and run-down. I know that you can't judge a book by it's cover, but I can't help but wonder about the school in general. Are you happy with the school? Do you feel that your kids are getting an excellent education there?

I've heard that North Oldham County schools are considered the "best". Do you know if there is any truth to this? Is that just an opinion?

I'd truly appreciate any and all information that you could share with me!

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2007, 11:05 AM

850 posts, read 2,955,140 times
Oliver - try SpringHouse Estates. My best friend lives there - has been there for about 5 years now, and the neighborhood is wonderful. It has grown much since they moved in, but the feeling is that of an old fashion way of life where people sit on the front porch, neighbors gather, and the kids play all over the place.

Very safe, very comfortable, and the only reason you would not know a neighbor is if you chose not to.

Additionally, if you continue a little farther to the northeastern side of LaGrange, there are wonderful developements there, too - and that will put your husband a little closer - saving 10 to 15 minutes can be a big deal when you are driving that far.

Why have you guys decided on Oldham county? Madison,IN is a wonderful place, too. Just curious...A previous pastor of ours moved to Madison to be closer to family - and their children thrived there. Both have gone onto college (medicine and law) so the schools must be worthy in that area also.

BUT - we would love to have you in Kentucky!

KimmieyKY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky